The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Having to clear the editor again, it is so random :scratchhead:

Goodnight folks. Stay safe, well and sane 'til tomorrow.

RMW has also been very slow again these past couple of days. 

Meanwhile it's goodnight from me - and it's goodnight from <-- him.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 11

15 hours ago, polybear said:

Perhaps a certain Punk Rocker could consider the services of ER Property Services (2021) Ltd.?

Terms:  Modelling Tokens in hand, plus oodles of cake.....

Thanks for the offer but I think by the time you’ve finished your kitchen and ready to start my job I’d be ready for retiring.

If I paid you a lemon drizzle cake a day, I’d keep you in cake for 93 years!

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Could be this one...Echeveria gibbiflora v cuanana 

It could be. I find it odd that, within the first few pages of an online search, references are made to - 'when mature a crest may appear'. I would call this plant's upper part a flower spike. All the cluster of these plants have the spike although some are quite small ?immature. Interestingly no-one seems to actually show a 'crest' or spike like the one in my photo. The wording of many of the descriptions is very similar, as if they have been copied from a common source.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Ah.  The Midden Ages ;)  

Our palaeontology group wasn't all aware of everything they were handling in the lab one time.  Specimens labelled "Coprolite" were queried as not being found in either the mineralogy texts nor the flora and fauna of the Jurassic.  

"Ah", says Harry with glee (always Harry, he was never a Dr and wasn't the Prof) "You've got dinosaur s**t on your hands!!!"  

Exit two squeamish females at high speed with screams and gagging sounds :jester: 

The stuff was mined in Cambridgeshire for use as fertilizer. There’s a book about that, with a great title:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cambridgeshire-Coprolite-Mining-Rush/dp/0902675613

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Ah.  The Midden Ages ;)  

Our palaeontology group wasn't all aware of everything they were handling in the lab one time.  Specimens labelled "Coprolite" were queried as not being found in either the mineralogy texts nor the flora and fauna of the Jurassic.  

"Ah", says Harry with glee (always Harry, he was never a Dr and wasn't the Prof) "You've got dinosaur s**t on your hands!!!"  

Exit two squeamish females at high speed with screams and gagging sounds :jester: 

No excursion to the Tasmanian pooseum for them then.

https://pooseum.com.au/

8 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

As there seems to be a number of people knowledgeable in horticultural or botanical matters in this thread, can any one identify this plant, growing in a west facing flint church-yard wall in Sussex? I have just seen it for the first time, although I have walked past the spot scores of times over the past ten years.

Plant in  St Peter's churchyard wall 25 5 2021.jpg

Could it be a Queensland Bottle tree?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachychiton_rupestris

Meanwhile in the Brisbane Lone Pine  sanctuary one task  the keepers have to perform regularly  is to  check that the koalas do in fact still have a pulse.

koala2.jpg.1a2004eec3c2c7827484368db29769a5.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Funny 11

Mornin'

Looks to have been a bit damp overnight, though rapidly drying and the forecast is for?

Grey!

Must remember to go to pharmacy today, apart from that it's very much SSDD :)

Make the most of yours, whatever it might, bring and of course well wishes to all, especially those who ail.

Edited by leopardml2341
Inept keyboardery
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

As there seems to be a number of people knowledgeable in horticultural or botanical matters in this thread, can any one identify this plant, growing in a west facing flint church-yard wall in Sussex? I have just seen it for the first time, although I have walked past the spot scores of times over the past ten years.

Plant in  St Peter's churchyard wall 25 5 2021.jpg

At first I was surprised at this flood in a hot, dry summer, but afterwards I discovered that it was caused by the tropical exuberance of the red weed. Directly this extraordinary growth encountered water it straightway became gigantic and of unparalleled fecundity. Its seeds were simply poured down into the water of the Wey and Thames, and its swiftly growing and Titanic water fronds speedily choked both those rivers.

At Putney, as I afterwards saw, the bridge was almost lost in a tangle of this weed, and at Richmond, too, the Thames water poured in a broad and shallow stream across the meadows of Hampton and Twickenham. As the water spread the weed followed them, until the ruined villas of the Thames valley were for a time lost in this red swamp, whose margin I explored, and much of the desolation the Martians had caused was concealed.

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

That bright thing is already throwing some warmth in out direction, so an early start and make the most of it.

Have a good day one and all, Enjoy, stay safe and well.:dancer:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

It could be. I find it odd that, within the first few pages of an online search, references are made to - 'when mature a crest may appear'. I would call this plant's upper part a flower spike. All the cluster of these plants have the spike although some are quite small ?immature. Interestingly no-one seems to actually show a 'crest' or spike like the one in my photo. The wording of many of the descriptions is very similar, as if they have been copied from a common source.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure it's not a native plant and nurseries and plantsmen grow so many cultivars, it can be tricky, the curled leaves drew me to the one I suggested, I'm a vegetable gardener, not so good on fleurs .

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1