The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

21 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Dare I mention that seven months today is Christmas Day.

Hat, coat, gone.

Yes, and the nights will start drawing in just over 3 weeks from now. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 45156 said:

So for the musicians among us - this is the latest from the excellent Josh Turner - Chrisf - I think that it reminds me of the music of John Renbourn - with whom I used to drink in the Half Moon at Putney from time to time.

Stewart, I can hear why you think that.  I've not come across this young gentleman before.  He reminds me of a young Martin Simpson.  That's a compliment btw.

Chris

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

I was thinking of Martin Simpson as well . . . . . Chop the little Burgers fingers off to give the rest of us a chance.

He is very good though but.

It's been 14 days since I had Jab2 . . . Slight bruised feeling on days 2/3 but nowt to see, and no other problems.

Have a good day all . . and keep smiling

John

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Part of my job as an archaeologist was managing the Environmental Archaeology work.  This included sorting through the sieved contents of Saxon and Medieval cess pits.  I was just going through the motions.  My lecture for day schools was entitled "All things must pass".

Where's the BLOODY GROAN BUTTON!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The end of a week's bachelordom occurs this afternoon when Jill returns from Devon so this morning is try to get the house prepared and get the shopping in so that I stay out of trouble. Cock-eyed optimist - me?

My car started its 'let's see how many dashboard warning lights we can get on at once' trick again yesterday so I took it into the garage where two minutes with the plug in diagnostic machine showed the trouble to be a faulty ABS sensor. It's booked in on Thursday to be fixed so bang go some more modelling tokens. There's also a new kitchen water heater on order and some loose roof tiles to be sorted out so the wallet damage threatens to be severe.

Good news on the Dad front as he is now having regular physiotherapy and seems to be much more positive in his attitude. As of this Friday we can visit him so I hope we will see the improvement first hand. 

Must go now, housework calls.

Yuk.

Dave 

Glad to see your Dad is getting the proper treatment at last.

I haven't heard of the cock eyed optimist but i have heard of  the cock eyed prophet 1 Isaiah.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, petethemole said:

This included sorting through the sieved contents of Saxon and Medieval cess pits.

Ah.  The Midden Ages ;)  

Our palaeontology group wasn't all aware of everything they were handling in the lab one time.  Specimens labelled "Coprolite" were queried as not being found in either the mineralogy texts nor the flora and fauna of the Jurassic.  

"Ah", says Harry with glee (always Harry, he was never a Dr and wasn't the Prof) "You've got dinosaur s**t on your hands!!!"  

Exit two squeamish females at high speed with screams and gagging sounds :jester: 

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, petethemole said:

Part of my job as an archaeologist was managing the Environmental Archaeology work.  This included sorting through the sieved contents of Saxon and Medieval cess pits.  I was just going through the motions.  My lecture for day schools was entitled "All things must pass".

image.png.7df6ab5cf50ec8b1bc20128b1e3d45f3.png.10075f5c0df4e2d37ffc9f89c62cb253.pngFlavios wish is my command.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

As there seems to be a number of people knowledgeable in horticultural or botanical matters in this thread, can any one identify this plant, growing in a west facing flint church-yard wall in Sussex? I have just seen it for the first time, although I have walked past the spot scores of times over the past ten years.

Plant in  St Peter's churchyard wall 25 5 2021.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The GP thinks it might be down to food poisoning (we suspect possible shellfish cross contamination of my meal through the added 'leaves' which were common with two other starters among our number) and the restrauanteur is being very helpful investigating kitchen procedures so I won't be naming the establishment.

= Giving the kitchen an emergency deep clean, sorting the fridges, bo11ocking the chef and ensuring all ducks are in a very neat row in case the Env. Health Officers come knocking....

Cynical Bear :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I see the C word has arisen in this parish, already. I am not partial to punishment, but perhaps a week without LDC for the Coombe Barton gentleman will, perhaps, perform a miracle cure.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, southern42 said:

I see the C word has arisen in this parish, already. I am not partial to punishment, but perhaps a week without LDC for the Coombe Barton gentleman will, perhaps, perform a miracle cure.

Or indeed any other flavour, as suitable punishment for uttering such language....

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Much more important, it's 11days to the 3 Rivers Race, the current forecast is for a  20 to 30mph southerly wind.. which is on the strong side, and would mean lots of tacking.

It bin chuckitdarn most of the day, the roads are very soggy. 

This week's major system is now on its cross check run.

Ben awaits SWMBOs return from weaving..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

As there seems to be a number of people knowledgeable in horticultural or botanical matters in this thread, can any one identify this plant, growing in a west facing flint church-yard wall in Sussex? I have just seen it for the first time, although I have walked past the spot scores of times over the past ten years.

The flowers look a bit like arrowgrass but it has grass-like leaves, nothing like that. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Shopping has been done. Pah!  Muddling tokens seriously depleted.. PAH!

Lad from Middlesborough has rung up and fixed our BT Mail accounts.. I made sure he was a real BT help desk person by asking hi if he ever ate Parmas. .. he was real!

Next up what to have for dinner.. hopefully Stationmaster will be feeing considerably better as the day progresses...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

The flowers look a bit like arrowgrass but it has grass-like leaves, nothing like that. 

I thought it might be a sedum or sempervivum at first but I can’t find any that look quite like that. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Could be bugle, does it have a square stem?

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1