The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:Char... English   Tea                                                              Hindi  Tea

Tea in Hindi is chai. Char is four as in charpoy for bed, “four footed”. Somehow the English turned chai wallah into charwallah and charlady. Chai for tea in the UK seems to have re-entered the language in various drink options available from retailers and cafes.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike for your comments.  I wanted to press the Thanks button  but couldn’t find it on my flippin phone so I had to make do with a default Like.

UPDATE: Found it!

Edited by PupCam
If only I could delete this post now ..
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Tea in Hindi is chai. Char is four as in charpoy for bed, “four footed”. Somehow the English turned chai wallah into charwallah and charlady. Chai for tea in the UK seems to have re-entered the language in various drink options available from retailers and cafes.

you's right I forgot when typing the Hindi word..

• Like 10

4 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

There's no wonder then, that natives of Oswadtwistle simply refer to it as 'Ozzy'...........

Somewhat less appealing is the locals' reference to Accrington - but surely to goodness they don't have a problem pronouncing that?

One of my 'favourites' was Oughtibridge, back on t' right side :)

What about Barugh Green now that gets everybody thats non Barnsley 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. First lot of laundry done and second lot in washing machine. Still some more after that but thats not urgent and there's no more room indoors for drying it. Ambulance has been called to next door but one. His 92-year-old mother is staying with him for a while, hope she's OK.

• Friendly/supportive 16

When I first arrived north of Hadrian's wall I was a service manager running a depot, had to send out 8 vans on jobs each day, much to the amusement of the locals who were fascinated with my attempts at pronouncing Gaelic place names, after much extracting of the urine, they got the drift when I mentioned that well known Russian place that ends in off.............................

Who knew Finzean is pronounced Fingun............................

• Like 14
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

When I first arrived north of Hadrian's wall I was a service manager running a depot, had to send out 8 vans on jobs each day, much to the amusement of the locals who were fascinated with my attempts at pronouncing Gaelic place names, after much extracting of the urine, they got the drift when I mentioned that well known Russian place that ends in off.............................

Who knew Finzean is pronounced Fingun............................

Like in Menzies the Z represents a old missing letter of the alphabet called "Yogh" that was actually written more like a number 3 and in the middle of the word gives a sound similar to NG

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

About to make afternoon tea here and became puzzled.  

The adverts atop the page are trying to sell me homes in Beccles.  Do they know something I should?  Is there about to be a very VERY high tide indeed drowning the Hill of Strawberries? :jester:  

• Like 8
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

About to make afternoon tea here and became puzzled.  

The adverts atop the page are trying to sell me homes in Beccles.  Do they know something I should?  Is there about to be a very VERY high tide indeed drowning the Hill of Strawberries? :jester:  

Beccles would be way underwater long before the hill of Strawberries, It's down barely above the waterline anyway, bits are often flooded.

I keep getting Dutch adverts, which suggests our server is accessing the net via our Dutch Branch. no wonder it's slow..

We had a huge hailstorm around 12:30, since then it's been almost continuous rain..

OIP.jpg

post card late 1950's

photo... recent..

nb-beccles-flooding-03.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Like in Menzies the Z represents a old missing letter of the alphabet called "Yogh" that was actually written more like a number 3 and in the middle of the word gives a sound similar to NG

Which is presumably why Menzies Campbell 8s called Ming.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

In a similar vein, one of the lost middle English letters (I think it was Thorn) gradually became indistinguishable from Y in typeface. It was pronounced "th", and was used in words such as "the" and "that". So the Ye in"Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe" and other pretend old-fashioned names should be pronounced "the".

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Shufti.. take a quick look.. came from our forces who were in the Middle East during various wars. My father also used "Imshi, Imshi".. work faster/harder from the Arabic "Imshallah" 

I always thought that "imshi" means "go away", or words to that effect.

Chris

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Does that mean that Menzies should be pronounced Menngies with an elongated N sound ?

Its a bit like everyone thinking that in former times The was pronounced Ye - as in Ye olde tea shoppe. There was a letter "thorn" that actually sounded like th and looked a bit like this  931960688_letterthorn.jpg.4aca4276d19bca35d7496497afab408e.jpg. When printing arrived in Britain the printers got their type (or rather the matrices to cast type from ) from Germany or Italy where there was no such letter. They decided that thorn, as the scribes usually wrote it, looked like a Y so substituted that instead. They later substituted a th as we still do but such double letters representing a single sound, had not then yet been invented

This means that if you talk about ye old tea shop you're actually saying You old tea shop using the old plural form of "you" as in ye of little faith which is a real Y.

Update: Lurker got in two minutes before me but I hope a fuller explanation is useful. It seems that the letter Thorn was only lost because printers didn't have a character for it. Presumably that was also true of Yogh though why English and Scottish printer's didn't just carve them is not clear. For the original form of thorn they could have just adapted the matrix (mould) for a P.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I always thought that "imshi" means "go away", or words to that effect.

Chris

More commonly represented by a stiffly-displayed middle-finger these days.  Who needs print? ;)  

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Aditi doesn’t really know any rude words in Hindi, Punjabi or Urdu but we were watching a news programme some years ago about Indians attitude to caste queries. The interviewer after one response said he didn’t recognise the answer. Aditi said answer translated to “push off”. 

• Funny 15

2 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Does that mean that Menzies should be pronounced Menngies with an elongated N sound ?

Its a bit like everyone thinking that in former times The was pronounced Ye - as in Ye olde tea shoppe. There was a letter "thorn" that actually sounded like th and looked a bit like this  931960688_letterthorn.jpg.4aca4276d19bca35d7496497afab408e.jpg. When printing arrived in Britain the printers got their type (or rather the matrices to cast type from ) from Germany or Italy where there was no such letter. They decided that thorn, as the scribes usually wrote it, looked like a Y so substituted that instead. They later substituted a th as we still do but such double letters representing a single sound, had not then yet been invented

This means that if you talk about ye old tea shop you're actually saying You old tea shop using the old plural form of "you" as in ye of little faith which is a real Y.

Update: Lurker got in two minutes before me but I hope a fuller explanation is useful. It seems that the letter Thorn was only lost because printers didn't have a character for it. Presumably that was also true of Yogh though why English and Scottish printer's didn't just carve them is not clear. For the original form of thorn they could have just adapted the matrix (mould) for a P.

Yes, useful to me!

I have not quite avoided a rabbit hole called early middle english but have for now avoided the great vowel shift.....

• Like 11

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Sorry chaps Puppers has been AWOL for a while.   

It’s a long story but I’ll just provide a couple of highlights ....

The doctor was as good as his word and in my response of “I feel absolutely terrible” to his question of how did I feel he said you’d better get here for 11:30.   After a physical examination(now there’s a thing!) and seeing that I didn’t really have enough energy to get off the couch he said “I’m admitting you to hospital”.   And so Mrs Puppers took me to  A&E for admission.  It was very busy but Puppers found a cunning way to get to the head of the queue - collapse in a big heap close by people so they can catch you.    Much racing about and I was in Resus within 2 minutes (I should imagine I wasn’t really very aware at the time!).   Anyway, long story short;  I’ve been fitted with a DCC Decoder, no sorry a Pacemaker last week.   There’s a bit of hitch so I’m still sitting here NBM waiting for them to have another crack at it.

I’ll be back when I can and best regards to all particularly the poorly ones.

Puppers

WOW, Puppers, @PupCam, I'm really shocked and saddened to read this, I hope they get you kick started and re fuelled very soon.

All the very best

• Like 3
  • Agree 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the weather has been kind today and we’ve had no rain, although it did try as I was driving back home from completing the shopping. In the end Sheila decided to stay at home, so I ended up going shopping on my own. As a result of this, I wasn’t out as long as I’d expected to be. Once I’d put away all the shopping, I earned a few brownie points by cleaning out the washing machine’s dispenser tray, where does all that black gunk come from? I then cleaned out both the dining room and living room fireplaces. 

After dinner I went out into the garden and did a bit more preparation for the camomile. I noticed the other day that a clump of foxgloves and some alchemilla mollis needed to be moved as they will be in the way. I also planted a couple shrubs, a camellia and a pieris japonica, which had been in pots for far too long. I’m now slowly getting a large collection of empty pots, most of which will be given to Vickie and Ian. There are a couple of broken ones, so they’ll go to the tip instead. I’ve also created a log pile for insects to over winter, mainly from some branches that I cut off the buddleia last year and I’d stored in a couple of old buckets. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Puppers, sorry to read of your predicament, hope things get back to normal soon. 

Q. I hope your dad recovers from his heart attack. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1