The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

using clever triangular stainless steel measuring (I'm sure a certain Punk Rocker knows what I mean...), sticks a label on the bottle and away you go. 

They’re called counting triangles and ok for round tablets but no good for capsules or other shaped tablets. Other devices are available.

Most products come in box of blisters strips for many reasons. 
Allows patient information leaflet to be supplied with each supply.

No messing about with counting triangle and no cross contamination.

Product tracking, for drug recalls and confirmation of expiry date and supply chain management.

Product security and anti-counterfeiting measures. Each pack is now individually identifiable.

There are others but eyelids need inspection.

Sounds like your pharmacy (a spoke)  uses a ‘hub’ to supply your medication. Ok if you don’t need your medication urgently. Our nearest competitor uses a hub and we’ve picked up so much business as people are just not willing to wait for the hub to supply the spoke. I’ve not seen anything from a hub before but can imagine half a rain Forrest has been sacrificed in preparing it for you.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Sounds like your pharmacy (a spoke)  uses a ‘hub’ to supply your medication. Ok if you don’t need your medication urgently. Our nearest competitor uses a hub and we’ve picked up so much business as people are just not willing to wait for the hub to supply the spoke. I’ve not seen anything from a hub before but can imagine half a rain Forrest has been sacrificed in preparing it for you.  

They still have thousands of different meds to dispense as required, and while you wait - just as always.  I guess the repeat stuff comes from a hub in order to reduce the workload for the dispensing staff (they always seem to have 2+ working on dispensing, plus "front of house" doing the counter service).

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

58 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Imagine this, baked in  a pie!

How many photographs of chicken parm' do you have at hand? ;)  (Noting the publication of a second one.)

38 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... $10 fish and chips, which is often sold as Barra(mundi) but is usually shark.

Hopefully you are able to taste the difference.

In my formative days in Southeast Queensland it wasn't proper fish and chips if you didn't first choose your preferred species of fish from the counter display before it is prepared. Most places would also offer a choice of either breading or batter.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

We changed from what had been a really good chain pharmacy to a less convenient independent when the former started making up prescriptions somewhere else. I was prepared to be tolerant but it never improved.  They also replaced all the staff. Some of whom have reappeared at the pharmacy we now use. Also I like the robot dispenser there, it looks very interesting. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

Medicines in blister packs......

There is, apparently, a very sound reason for the change (in UK at least) and it is that it is an effective way of controlling overdoses. It is less likely that a person in a spontaneously suicidal frame of mind will still be in that same state of mind after removing the enough medicine on which to overdose from blister packs than simply uncapping a bottle and swallowing the lot.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

I noted the comments about answering calls on mobiles. I was getting irritated that mine often seemed to not respond to “sliding” to answer. I have changed mine to “tap” to answer. Deeply buried in the “accessibility” menu on my phone. 
Tony

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good evening, here's a photo that might interest our resident @leopardml2341. I've just uploaded it on ,y new American Railroads thread and though he might be interested.

726876722_Slides1978A-1004.jpg.3d12212cbae2a31ac023411644f6f123.jpg

Outside Manchester Victoria Station 2nd June 1978 waiting to set off to the airport.

Jamie

Nice, but these were nicer (although perhaps not in this livery):

Bus-Photo-Selnec-Manchester-Photograph-P

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some of what is being described is medication supplied as Monitored Dose Supplies where the pharmacy prepares weekly trays with 28 compartments, four for each day off the week. These are designed for people who can’t remember to take their medication correctly. They are a nightmare to prepare and pose a host of other problems.

We considered a robot for the new pharmacy but they work far too slowly, my staff can run rings around them. They are like giant vending machines and can only pick one item at a time whereas a person can walk around the shelving with a small basket picking items much quicker.

Goodnight (again)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

Interestingly, while reading this page an advertisement for "Amazon Pharmacy" appeared, courtesy of the 'bots perhaps?

For people with multiple prescriptions, some mail-order pharmacies offer packaging by time of day - with customized little packets* for morning and evening, printed with the day and date where all the pills that are taken at the same time are packaged together.

* They appear to be tear open, and easier than blister packs though I've never handled one.

• Informative/Useful 11

It seems that news outlets around the world have picked up the topline of the "Plastic Waste Makers Index" report.

In 2019, just 20 polymer producers accounted for more than half of all single-use plastic waste generated globally – and the top 100 accounted for 90 per cent.

ExxonMobil and Dow – both based in the USA – top the list, followed by China-based Sinopec, with these three companies together accounting for 16 per cent of global single-use plastic waste. Of approximately 300 polymer producers operating globally, a small fraction hold the fate of the world’s plastics crisis in their hands: their choice to continue to produce virgin polymers, rather than recycled polymers, will have massive repercussions on how much waste is collected, is managed and leaks into the environment.

All five major findings are interesting, though unsurprising.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good evening, here's a photo that might interest our resident @leopardml2341. I've just uploaded it on ,y new American Railroads thread and though he might be interested.

726876722_Slides1978A-1004.jpg.3d12212cbae2a31ac023411644f6f123.jpg

Outside Manchester Victoria Station 2nd June 1978 waiting to set off to the airport.

Jamie

Just in passing you may be interested to learn that moves are afoot to reinstate the orange & brown colour scheme of the buses it just depends on whether our 'new' mayor, Mr Burnham can find the money.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the weather has been absolutely glorious, wall to wall sunshine all day, the predicted rain for the afternoon never materialised, so I was able to get more done than anticipated. I’d estimate that I’ve done about 70 - 75% of the path done before I decided to pack up late this afternoon. Mind you I was bl00dy knackered when I finished, as the sun had been shining on me all day and I got rather warm. Nothing that a nice muggertea and a spot off eyelid inspection couldn’t sort out though. 

However that’s it now until Friday, as we are both going out for the day tomorrow and Friday’s normal ritual of a walk to the butchers and trip to the Trafford Centre visits will be done on Thursday instead. The new RHS garden ‘RHS Bridgewater’ opened today and were off to pay it a visit tomorrow morning.

This will be our first real ‘day out’ since this ruddy virus hit the uk and the country went into last year. When things started to reopen late last summer, we weren’t convinced that it was safe so decided to stay in instead, which seemed to be a good idea at the time. Now that we’ve both been vaccinated and the country seems to be heading the right way, we feel a little more comfortable going out now, we’re both really looking forward to it. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

We considered a robot for the new pharmacy

I don’t know about our pharmacy but the GP practice where my brother in law works has a pharmacy on the same premises. I think he said the robot works overnight. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

At our surgery I have seen patients being unpleasant but never the staff. There was one some  years ago who wasn’t quite so good but she was soon moved to a non patient facing post. When I had to phone schools some reception staff were really bad at answering  the phone or taking messages. Headteachers often were protective of their office staff but I used to suggest they tried phoning in from a non internal phone line and ask to speak to themselves. I learned this from the head of the first school I worked in when he started getting complaints about rude office staff. 

I need my eyes checked, i I read that as "nude"! :o

• Funny 16

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

How many photographs of chicken parm' do you have at hand? ;)  (Noting the publication of a second one.)

The Chips looked a bit sad in the first one I posted!

Hopefully you are able to taste the difference.

In my formative days in Southeast Queensland it wasn't proper fish and chips if you didn't first choose your preferred species of fish from the counter display before it is prepared. Most places would also offer a choice of either breading or batter.

Same here, in the old days it used to be flathead, perch, whiting etc, flake if it was actually shark.. These days they often sell stuff labelled Ling,  Hoki or  Basa  none of which anyone had ever heard of  10 years ago so could be just some sea-junk fish ,  and often Dory and Jewfish will actually be Basa   - whatever that is. 

Barramundi unless actually personally caught is often disappointing. When I was in Darwin I was going to buy some from the local Co;les, assuming that the Northern Territory - where Barra is from -  would have brilliant stuff, but the sign on it said "Product of Vietnam" which was ridiculous.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

These days they often sell stuff labelled Ling, Hoki or Basa ...

Basa, so 'catfish' then. (Wikipedia):

Basa (Pangasius bocourti) is a species of catfish in the family Pangasiidae. Basa are native to the Mekong and Chao Phraya basins in Mainland Southeast Asia. These fish are important food fish with an international market. They are often labelled in North America and Australia as "basa fish", "swai", or "bocourti". In the UK all species of Pangasius may legally be described as "river cobbler", "cobbler", "basa", "pangasius", "panga", or any of these with the addition of "catfish". In the rest of Europe, these fish are commonly marketed as "pangasius" or "panga". In Asian markets, names for basa include "Pacific dory". Other related shark catfish may occasionally be incorrectly labeled as basa fish, including P. hypophthalmus (iridescent shark) and P. pangasius (yellowtail catfish).

Talk about globalization.

10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... none of which anyone had ever heard of 10 years ago

I had certainly never heard of it.

Catfish is common in the US, but not for traditional "fish and chips". It is frequently breaded with cornbread and pan-fried, often with 'blackening' spices. Here the best "fish and chips" is often Alaskan Halibut. Not strictly local per se, and usually frozen.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Pie and chips and macaroni and cheese must be a Victorian thing because I haven't seen them here, btu then again I've never seen pickled onions sold in takeaways before I went down to Victoria. Here if you want to be all individual you can order $10 Steak and chips or $10 fish and chips, which is often sold as Barra(mundi) but is usually shark.

You poor folk, no pickled onions - when i was in the Scouts immediately after the Tuesday evening meeting it was across the road t the chippy for 'six of chips anda pickled onion' (i.e. 6d's worth  of chips).  The pickled onions lived in a huge glass jar at one end of the counter and had to be fished out with spoon, there was another large jar containing pickled eggs but they never appealed to me.   Macaroni cheese is a delightful dish - not macaroni and cheese but macaroni cooked in a cheese sauce - very tasty.   BTW I'm fairly sure that the barramundi and chips I used to get in Mosman wasn't shark because it didn't make me ill ;)

And some strange things getting on here this evening; I had to Google to find out what a 'chicken cutlet' is - only to find out that it isn't a cutlet at all but is actually a slice of chicken breast 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

However it says on a Gov.Uk Coronavirus information site  that 'you should not travel to amber or red list countries'.   That information was posted no later than Monday 17 May and might have been posted before then.  To me that is a pretty conclusive 'No' and it is included on the initial, fairly brief, summary page (linked below).  So the official position is very clear indeed whatever those halfwits in the travel 'industry' might be hoping or wishing for.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2