The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Well possibly, but pros also use vacuum packs and 'sous vide' to cook certain meat (duck, pigeon, partridge, etc) but I doubt most people prefer it to a proper pan fried version in butter. 

(Snooty chefs - do not read any further), and 6 minutes deep fried in a chip pan can produce a wonderful sirloin or rump steak. Obviously you have to trial and error cooking times depending on the thickness, but the one thing deep frying also does is fully cook the fat on the edge of the steak.

The added advantage is that the chips can be cooked at the same time as the meat, and even mushrooms and/or tomato halves if you are feeling really lazy. 

Well, now that you mention it, I do have a bar vacuum sealer and two sous-vide machines: an immersion circulator and a sous vide cooker. With them I can cook a slab of flank or stewing brisket (called here siedfleisch) for several hours, then finish it by searing it in a broiling hot pan (with lots of butter) and the result is as tender as the costliest filet. PLUS you can't overcook the meat, cooking sous-vide.

Deep frying a steak is a well-known trick (if you can pull it off) as is deep frying a whole turkey....

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Denyse is lovely but  the coffee stretched to 2 Cognacs and Belgian choclates as well. It's a hard life.

Going by what follows, that surely is the wrong conjunction? I would think ‘so’ would be more appropriate, or at least ‘and’. ;)

Edited by pH
  • Like 7
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Many happy returns Rick and many more of 'em. ID, Have you ever considered an air-fryer? I have had one for about three or four years now. I use it for chips mostly, usually oven chips (definitely not frozen ones) but I can cook a pie with them as well. I also use it for the roast root veg at Christmas. Like all such devices there's good and bad. Do not get one with the ordinary fryer wire basket, the better ones have a saucepan with a perforated bottom, and its easier to clean. Tea has brewed so its be back later.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, polybear said:

I dream of the day when someone has the b@lls to say "Why don't you shut the F.up and let me finish answering the question you just asked me?"

... and the day when an interviewer says “Why don’t you shut the f*** up and answer the question I asked you, instead of going off on a pre-scripted speech about something completely different?”.

IMO, political interviews are not about communicating information useful to viewers/listeners - from either side.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, southern42 said:

Happy Birthday, Rick.

When I was 64, I dragged...oops!....took the family went to the Beatles land in the Royal Albert Dock, Liverpool. The only downside is that would be a lie if I sang it now. :laugh:

Addendum to that.  I could sing, When I'm seventy four!

We can post some trivia or some ramblings

on the ERs thread, if its not expired

We shall laugh and sigh

New members come and go

Hello and goodbye

Or you might prefer a bit more romantic.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Have just removed another large branch from the yew tree. It is being dismantled in stages. I saw about 3/4 of the branch and leave the rest to gravity, but have to be careful where I saw the cut in order to make sure it falls in the right direction. 

Some years ago, I dropped three large alder trees in our back yard, piece by piece, over several months. Only one branch went somewhere other than intended (completely by luck!), but it bounced directly off the top of a fence post, rather hitting any other part of the fence. 

We have another tree now needing to be cut down. It was a small, live Christmas tree planted outside in the yard afterwards. It is now approaching 50 feet high. But we’ll pay for that one to be cut.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

My sole criterion for buying a bit of kitchen kit is "do the pros use it?"

Pros might use them, but I have found that the non-pro variants are more hassle than they're worth. Buying a deep fryer for use once every ten days doesn't make sense.

Neither does this,

Uy-XrymNJVfjhxGfSkHDuRuDHuM2UwnxQbHxWxK4

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

(Snooty chefs - do not read any further), and 6 minutes deep fried in a chip pan can produce a wonderful sirloin or rump steak. Obviously you have to trial and error cooking times depending on the thickness, but the one thing deep frying also does is fully cook the fat on the edge of the steak.

The added advantage is that the chips can be cooked at the same time as the meat, and even mushrooms and/or tomato halves if you are feeling really lazy. 

And the Mars bar :mosking:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

44 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Have you ever considered an air-fryer? I have had one for about three or four years now. I use it for chips mostly, usually oven chips (definitely not frozen ones) but I can cook a pie with them as well. I also use it for the roast root veg at Christmas..

Is it any good for homemade veggie crisps?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, leopardml2341 said:

Is it any good for homemade veggie crisps?

Yes, anything that can be done in a deep fat fryer. All it needs is a bit of oil drizzled over the item to be fried and then shaken to distribute the oil. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear wonders which one is considered to be a good one please?

Mine is a Phillips. IIRC Tess Coes had them on special offer. Usual price is about £40-£60.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, pH said:

... and the day when an interviewer says “Why don’t you shut the f*** up and answer the question I asked you, instead of going off on a pre-scripted speech about something completely different?”.

IMO, political interviews are not about communicating information useful to viewers/listeners ...

It does seem that they can only speak in pre-memorized sound bites. A voice recording would be just as (in)effective.

The "interview" is merely the opportunity to broadcast their sound bites to an audience irrespective of the line of questioning.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

.....Buying a deep fryer for use once every ten days doesn't make sense.

Neither does this,

Uy-XrymNJVfjhxGfSkHDuRuDHuM2UwnxQbHxWxK4

Couldn’t you also say that about much/most of the gear we own for doing r*****y m*******g, a lot of which we only use every so often.

Of course the counter argument is that  you NEED to use a specific tool for a specific task...

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Huh?

:unknw_mini:

Mr Google is your friend :D

46 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Yes, anything that can be done in a deep fat fryer. All it needs is a bit of oil drizzled over the item to be fried and then shaken to distribute the oil. 

Not quite, you can’t really use an air fryer to make donuts, bhaji, pommes soufflé or anything that requires the item to be cooked to be sealed by being immersed in hot oil. They are useful but, I think, they complement not replace a “propet” deep fat fryer

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Someones been turning the rain on and off all day but its off at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly said:

I perhaps downplayed it a little, but it wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me, so I kinda knew to lift off and let the engine slow the car until the hand brake would be usable, going down the gears in the process. Perhaps a bit more scary for Richard being the passenger.

Thankfully when I realised the brakes weren't going to slow the car to make the turn, I didn't indicate. Had I done so, I probably would have T-Boned a little VW Up car at 50mph in a big heavy Mondeo, that wouldn't of ended well for the other driver at the very least!. Thankfully he didn't pull out on me and the road after the junction was fairly quiet and I was able to find a safe spot to park and await the RAC to come tow the car to Richard's. The RAC guy inspected the car and discovered the problem had been one of the main brake lines had burst (possibly air had gotten into the system through a worn flexible hose and the brake fluid had leaked as well). Could have been much worse.

I take it that the car had stood idle for some time. There must be a few cars  back on the road after standing idle for ages due to Covid. Some of these may well have deteriorated to such an extent that they are dangerous. Fortunately my car has been used a couple of times a week throughout and last week I gave it a run and no problems came to light. If your car has been standing its a good idea to test the brakes gently on a clear road.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1