The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning...

I think....

Yesterday, with the second Moderna jab, despite the nurse nicking a nerve (or so it felt like) and the resulting injection site pain, I thought that It’d be plain sailing like before.

WRONG!

I trundled off to bed, a little tired and a little headachy, lay down and WHAM! My immune system decided to play with nearly all its toys at once: fever, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, nausea, fast breathing, headache, hallucinations (I dreamt that P Bear was eating a salad I’d made him:jester:) and rigors. Not full blown CRS but heading that way...

I wasn’t particularly concerned, but it was MOST unpleasant.  What was gratifying was that Lucy stayed with me all night and Mrs iD actually brought me a sweet coffee in the morning; an event SO unusual in itself that I was tempted to call Fleet Street and ask the broadsheets to hold their front pages. 

So on this particular POETS day I have a choice of 1) feeling sorry for myself; 2) feeling really sorry for myself; 3) feeling really, really sorry for myself; or 4) wallowing pathetically in self-pity, unwashed, unshaved and necking a catering sized bottle of McSporran’s cooking whisky...

Off to self-medicate my headache :nono: Not sure if it’ll be with aspirin, paracetamol or ibuprofen...

Enjoy POETS day

iD

What option did you choose? I suspect # 4. My first jab put my immune system into overdrive, aching joints, sore arm and eczema flaring up but that is receding now. I too had my second jab and no ill effects discernible, I didn't even feel it. I didn't feel it possibly because it was injected near the top of my arm and higher than the first jab.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

You bin standing too close to Mount St Helens  again..?

Mooring awl, Inner Temple hare..

6 .25 hours solid sleep, which followed some brain racing.. I was so late getting up, well not late for getting up for work but for going down stairs.. Ben the where are You Collie came to find me..

Why did Brain race... Threatening letters from the Broads Authority.. I will be prosecuted within two week if I don't get a Broads MOT for the boat... Unfortunately I've informed them twice that the boat is in the Boat yard having work done, and they've twice informed me no Broads MOT is needed when it's in said boat yard..

Added that two post letter emails to the BA have been rejected as an address that does not exist..

Left arm feels like some one has punched it.. Well Mr Pfizer did for the second time yesterday, but for the moment neither I nor SWMBO is suffering other reactions than that..

Are you sure thats not a scam? I would check it out with the BA just to make sure.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Are you sure thats not a scam? I would check it out with the BA just to make sure.

I'd love to but they're not responding to emails..

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

So on this particular POETS day I have a choice of 1) feeling sorry for myself; 2) feeling really sorry for myself; 3) feeling really, really sorry for myself; or 4) wallowing pathetically in self-pity, unwashed, unshaved and necking a catering sized bottle of McSporran’s cooking whisky...

4) Seems to be the most sensible and after sufficient McSporran's you won't care anyway!

Anyway, here's hoping the immune system is back to normal  ASAP and normal service can be resumed.  

A team of cynics is rudderless without a Captain ....

50 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

As for arguments - two stroke versus four.  Don't like strokers.....but they're easier to fix!

That's not an argument!  What would you rather have a Harley OR a motorcycle, now that's an argument :lol:

Oh how I long to re-live the days of my youth laying down a carpet of Duckhams 2 Stroke smoke along the road.    

I wonder if the air cooled RD is still for sale :unsure:

30 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'd love to but they're not responding to emails..

How about the phone ...

In Other News:

Although I'm waiting for the "proper" Arduino MEGA board to turn up I had a crack at building the code for the DCC++ EX system yesterday.      

It didn't go with a swing..... 

The destructions say that you can substitute a NANO for a UNO and the code includes NANO specific definitions etc but it falls over whinging about incorrectly set timer flags.  And despite setting it up so that Ethernet was not included it got into a strop because it couldn't find an Ethernet card so some surgery had to be performed.

So then I thought I'd have a go with the simple to use, installer designed for use by Noddy.  

NANO isn't on the list of processors to choose from - do make up your minds chaps!    

Anyway, I'll have another ponder today if only to pass the time and to educate myself.

Edited by PupCam
Added "Other News"
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Several hours on hold and then it cuts out?

Yes, now you come to mention it that is a distinct possibility!

I'm reminded of my efforts just over a year ago to get a grocer shopping account setup for my house bound self-isolating mother (it wasn't easy!).   On numerous occasions this involved calling the Customer Helplines at the various supermarkets.   Having endured the endless pre-recorded messages and the menu system for the supermarket that favours orange as its corporate colour, I was asked whether I would be prepared to do a short customer satisfaction survey afterwards to which I agreed.    I then joined the queue, sat patiently listening to the corporate muzac interspersed with those re-assuring messages telling me how important and valued I was. 

Having waited for precisely an hour the call was automatically terminated and transferred directly to the customer satisfaction survey .......

battleship.jpg

So yes, on reflection, that probably won't work either!

Edited by PupCam
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Good Afternoon, for it will be when I post this!

Today turned rapidly into a POETS day without the need to PO! Re-read the appointment letter for today's swab and made a hasty 'phone call to work to say 'see you Tuesday!' (There's a copy of the letter visible on my desk if he disbelieves me!) I'd genuinely overlooked the bit in the letter about post swab self isolation and had accrued sufficient flexitime to cover the test period to return to a normal routine! So I'm now 'confined to barracks' with the appropriate preparatory potions for Monday's procedure! (Surprised none out there picked me up on this when I wrote about my busy weekend above.) Second vaccination now rearranged for 8 days hence. There is a massive irony here in that my job usually involves, effectively, telling customers to RTFM and also proofing the outgoing mailshots!

So, with my enforced day off, I have been catching up here on.

15 hours ago, pH said:

What you have described is the English university system. In Scotland, at least in the recent past, and at least at certain universities, the first degree in an Arts subject was an MA.

I believe some unis south of the border offer the opportunity to stay on for another year for a Masters, but not quite the same as you describe.

14 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Professor, when I grew up, was an academic appointment so akin to but not exactly a rank.  The Head of Department, if accorded a Chair, was titled Professor.  The older the university the more likely it was to have chairs in particular subjects.  Traditions did vary of course but that was a general rule of thumb.  Some chairs were very specific, others more general.  Thus there might be a Professor of Earth Sciences encompassing geology and geography and / or a Professor of Micropaleontology being a very specific branch within the umbrella of geology and also owing something to chemistry and biology.  Professor Emeritus is one who retires from the Chair (and who might well retain some active involvement; Dr. SWMBO's principal PhD supervisor continued to supervise her students as Prof. Em.) in the way a high-ranking member of the military may retire with rank. 

I note your distinction.

13 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Steam v Diesel

I was trying to couch this in an anti-Awl fashion but, hey, let's go for it: Loco Hauled vs Unit!

10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Need more than that out west right now. 

Cue Ronnie Hilton?

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

(I dreamt that P Bear was eating a salad I’d made him:jester:)

that's a hallucination I wouldn't wish on anyone! OUCH! :jester:

15 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

(question: is beer a clear fluid? Milk, apparently, is not but tea and coffee are)

Answer: apparently it is not. PAH!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, polybear said:

Please forgive Bear for being dumb (lack of cake....) but what's an "inset Day"?  Is it a buzzword for an authorised skive off school?

Bear thinks he's got the small cabinet alignment cracked - hopefully.  And what a barsteward it was too.  One corner was too low - so adjust that upwards to get it level - only now the front is too f. high....:angry:  Spent hours fiddling about, and now pretty sure it's as good as it's gonna get now - the Granite Worktop website quotes a tolerance of 3mm; Bear was seeing a gap that looked worrying, but on further investigation it was something in the order of 1.4mm.  How does Bear know this?  Feeler Gauges.....on a feckin' kitchen.....

One of the drawbacks of being a (retired) Aerospace Engineer - applying that mindset to DIY Projects.....

And if you're thinkin' of sniggering at the back Puppers - just remember, I know where you (and your bikes) live.....

At the school where Mrs Stationmaster was a Classroom Assistant the pupils had re-christened inset Days as 'Insect Days' and that name was duly taken up by everyone, including the Head Teacher Master.    But whatever they're called it was a posh name for a staff training day (which didn't require the attendance of Classroom Assistants  unless they were setting up their remedial teaching sessions for the coming term).

BTW Poly I  happen to have a decent stockholding of tapered spacers of various depths should such an idea appeal as a potential assistant in levelling things? 

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 16

28 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Whoever wrote that article was a teacher with school-age children!

it seems a fair amount of UK educational info on wikipedia is written by people with an axe to grind (probably the same for other areas but I have noticed it a few times on that topic). When Steve Chalke made comments about keeping schools open during the first lockdown, I looked him up because I (correctly) had remembered him coming into our school in his guise as minister of Tonbridge Baptist church and wondered if it was the same bloke, I was shocked at the bile that had been inserted, including linking him to the activities of Jimmy Saville because he'd done a marathon or two. I have n particular opinion one way or the other about him but I did report that to wikipedia and some of the bile was removed.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1