The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

How on earth does a whale get stuck to a ship's hull?

I don't know what the underwater bits of the Hobart class look like.

One news report suggested bow strike which makes me think of the bow wave deflector.

There are lots of whales close to shore off the California coast.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

Evenin' folks

Only been absent for a day and six pages, it's late so for give me for taking the cop out and sending generic good wishes and thoughts to all.

In other news:

Mi narrow boat is certified safe for the next four years :)

Met an ex colleague, for coffee and (Eccles) cake; twas reet grand sitting outside in t' sunshine

Made some headway on prepping said boat for repaint

Tired now, goodnight.

Back at the home work desk tomorrow...........  Hopefully will remember to check in before the Maelstrom.

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Apparently one of the big businesses in Vietnam is scrap metal - much of which is from ordnance dropped or fired by the US during the war. 

We recently watched a programme on life in the Falklands. There is a big demining effort going on there, and getting towards an end. The main force of deminers are Zimbabweans!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I set off the surgery a few minutes after 8:45 and arrived just before 9 o’clock. I then followed the instructions fixed to the door and knocked once and waited. A minute or so later someone came to the door and after answering a few questions I was allowed into the waiting area and booked in. I was seen at exactly 9:10 and the procedure took place, after which I booked my next appointment, which is August 4 at the same time, so that’s it now for another 12 weeks. I then left and was back home just before 9:30. 

Once home, I got changed into my working cloths, made myself a muggertea in my thermos mug and headed downstairs to the cellar. I had a few more smaller offcuts of plasterboard, which were offcuts from the ceiling in the office, so aren’t waterproof plasterboard. Ive use these to clad the wooden beam which is above the cellar window and door, the remainder was used on another wall, but at just below ceiling height. If water gets that high in the cellar then I’m in big trouble. 

After dinner I moved the bookcase so that I can get to the wall behind it. Tomorrow when I go to the big orange DIY shed, I’ll get some more waterproof plasterboard and fit the second skin to the wall on worked on yesterday, I’ll also double skin the wall behind the bookcase. Any offcuts will then be used on the remaining wall that has electrical sockets fitted. 

• Like 17

Today was the weekly game of Covid roulette at Tesco (not so bad now I'm fully vaccinated)  followed by a reasonably brisk walk getting in just before the rain (again) . The afternoon was fairly productive and I've got far less still to do on the current job than I've done so far.

Goodnight all

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a telephone session with our financial advsor yesterday and had to fill out a spreadsheet today on our current situation -- which is, of course, out of whack due to you know what.

Walked in the Arboretum today. Passed another couple who were looking into the trees. There was a distinctive red-headed bird up there poking his head into a hole and then another appeared on the other side. Pixillated pileated woodpeckers.

• Like 16

10 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

... "An expert is someone who disagrees with other experts!" ...

This moronic statement is very much part of the problem with the Internet: basically, as people far wiser and far cleverer than me have observed, it essentially means “my ignorance is just as good as your informed opinion based on your years of experience and expertise” as a brief dip into the Hitachi thread here on RMweb can reveal (thanks for the tip Stationmaster, it was quite amusing to read some of the posts).

There is something very odd about the Anglo-Saxon psyche when it comes to education and learning: it’s all very well to go to school and come out with a piece of paper saying that you have indeed gone to school and come out with a piece of paper; but true learning, expertise and a desire to better oneself (not to mention that sin of sins: intellectualism) does tends to be – at the very best – regarded with suspicion (certainly if you listen to the vox populi and read much of English writing). Terry Pratchett, as ever the insightful social observer and satirist, called this phenomenon “crab bucket“. Only English seems to have the expression “too clever by half

There was a whole slew of so-called “realistic kitchensink dramas“ in the 1960s which revolved around the son or daughter of working-class parents coming into conflict with their mother or father (usually father)  over the offsprings desire to move (usually to London) and better themselves by getting a better job and/or an education (something that seems to permeate all strata of British society) 

An attitude that was beautifully lampooned by Monty Python in a sketch where the son comes into conflict with his father because the son wants to go down the mines instead of becoming a playwright  like his father...

10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Empanadas de carne y mole.

Here's a chicken version.

Yes. I don't know why it is not spelt in English as pronounced - molé. I presume people here are familiar with avocado-based mole aka guacamole.

I think the problem is that English - as a language - is definitely a stranger to the umlaut, accent, circumflex, cedilla and other diacritical marks. Apart from the fact that most English language keyboards are bereft of such things (and thus require the use of an Alt-Code to insert a letter with a diacritical mark) English rarely needs a diacritical mark to change the sound-values of the letters to which they are added (the only one I can immediately think of is coöperate) unlike most European and many other languages. Which is odd when you come to think about it - given the hours of amusement provided to the British by foreigners trying to correctly pronounce Salisbury, Worcestershire, Marylebone, Cholmondsley and the like (very much “English as she is spoke”)

Ānd ôn thāt lingüistic nöté Í bîd yøú ä sùpêr Thūrsdáy, Ì’m öff for my sęcõnd jab todåy 

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Correction of MP Sketch details
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

Greetings one and all

After far too long an absence there is live music on the horizon.  The first concert that I shall attend since March last year will be on Tuesday of next week.  The Hut People are due to appear in St Neots. Who they?  Sam Pirt plays accordion and Gary Hammond a bewildering array of percussion instruments, including a pair of plastic squeaky pigs!  The next gig that I know about is in the grounds of Hatfield House in July.  It will be a cut-down version of what the organisers intended thanks to social distancing but now includes the Young’uns.  Their appearance three years ago was the first time I heard “Be The Man”, a song which as some know means a great deal to me.  How I have missed my fix of live music!

I see that there is disagreement in the ranks about certain potential ingredients of breakfast.  I invite warring factions not to march forward together but to accept that we do not all have the same taste.  If I had to choose between baked beans and black pudding I would choose the former but do not entirely dislike the latter.  It is a long time since I have had either with breakfast.  It is, come to that, a long time since I have eaten breakfast outside the home, because it has not been possible thanks to that ruddy virus.  Some establishments attempt to serve breakfast that can be taken away.  They are on a hiding to nothing. The normal size bap cannot come close to accommodating the ingredients of a full English, there being room for at most three of the essential components.  The alternative is a polystyrene container as unappetising as its contents.  I like my breakfast to be presented on a plate - that’s a round or oval thing made of china.  Never mind, gentle readers: one day life will return to normal.  That will be after a squadron of airborne pigs has bombed Downing Street.

I see that my hitherto esteemed friend and colleague regards the statement that he quotes as “moronic”.  It used to appear as part of my signature.  Please tell him that I take exception to that view.  Monkeysarefun, the clock seems to have stopped on the koala thing live from Brisbane.  JohnDMJ, I wish you had not mentioned Jimmy Young.  It’s a long story which will have to wait until tomorrow.  Continuing warm thoughts to Gordon and family and anyone else who is poorly.  Best wishes to all.

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

It would seem my diary is becoming full with future cricket match dates, club reopenings, visits to see relatives including Dr Eldest Herbert who has a May 28th deadline for submitting his book to the publishers.

Weather wise looks like Saturday  and Sunday marches will be off due to the forecast deluges. Pah!

Time to finish my mugatea ... then.. comenon Thursday,  let's be having yah!

Stay safe! Hoping for positive news from Gordon and positive improvements from Dave's  dad.

Baz

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

4.5 hours +1.5 hours plus some not sleeping..

Ben the Alarm clock Collie was half an hour early today, which didn't help..

Dry but mostly cloudy out there many of the clouds looking exceedingly dark and thunderous.. which won't please Ben, He was hiding in his cage yesterday evening as we got some thunder but no rain..

I have spent sometime working on the handicap spreadsheets. Dinghies added in didn't work, they are just too different.. So I switched to  Keelboats raced locally. The Rebel,  Reedling, Yeoman, Yare and Bure one Design, the Broads One design and the International Star. The results suddenly looked more reliable...

One dinghy survived the cull, the Norfolk Dinghy, it's heavy Clinker built has a steel plate, copper and Brass buoyancy tanks. The overall effect of that, is it's somewhere between a keelboat and dinghy in performance..

The thinking behind the switch is Blue Moon is a miniature Keel boat, at 16ft LOA bigger than the Mini 12M equivalents, which are 12 to 14ft. The Local Keelboats are 19 to 25ft. so with Blue Moon sitting between the Commercial mini 12M, it should and has produced a better range of results..

The next thing is to produce graphs of the results, The first hopefully a straight ish line with Blue Moon sitting somewhere near to the line produced by the known handicap boats.. The other graph will be a conversion chart between the known RYA Portsmouth Yardstick handicaps and the Norfolk broads Handicap..

I think yesterdays major system is OK, So I'll hand it back when the operators turn up.. there are spare systems at the moment due to shortage of parts..

So it's shrapnel time this morning Little odd resistors etc.

Just waiting for a 1 G Ohm to settle.

Time to.. wait..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It looks like the weather can’t make its mind up at the moment, one minute it’s dull, then the sun comes out, then it’s dull, then it’s sunny again........... Anyway, I’d best get downstairs and make room for a dozen sheets of plasterboard, as that’s what I plan to pick up if it’s all in stock. I’ll also get a few other items whilst I’m there, I think I’ll need more nails for fitting the ceiling sheets, more jointing tape and some metal plaster edging too. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Molasses is hard to come by in Europe,

The group I work for supply it widely.

However it is used in making animal feed (liquid and dried pellet form), as feedstock for distilling, fertiliser, coating charcoal briquettes, and as an alternative to salt in the grit put down on roads.

As far as I know, none of the molasses brought into the UK is used directly in the human food chain

• Informative/Useful 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2