The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

I have, in the back of my mind, the image of a pie casing being made with bread. Not sure about the mechanics of this but could be blind-baked or lined with bacon before filling with the other goodies.

There is a ready made solution - the campfire pie iron.

The two slices of bread are buttered on one side and gently pressed inside each side of the clamshell iron (which could be buttered too).  Fill the depression with whatever you like - even baked beans or a dump an egg in it.

Closing the clamshell will compress and seal the bread together.

Heat evenly over an open fire / gas hob and violà - a pie made of bread.

The internet being what it is, coincidentally directed me to such an item at a store I mentioned yesterday (linked above) but my parents owned several of these in my formative days. They are neither new nor necessarily American.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was making a bit of fuss this evening but Nurofen has silenced him now.

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

When on holiday an Skye a couple of years ago we ate at http://www.columba1400.com/locations/cafe-a-shop (some good work done there, me putting religion aside) and had chicken with black pudding - I really had never heard of that combination before, but thought I would try it - it was so good I had the same the next evening!  Stornoway black pud too, really spicy and tasty.

Did you ask for the recipe? It sounds delicious, perhaps with some onions and mushrooms in a casserole? What about an English breakfast casserole?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, polybear said:

...snip...

Dangerous Dave:  Air Support

Big H:  Artillery

Barry O:  Challenger 2

iD:  Nasty germ warfare

NHN:  Maritime Attack

Puppers:  The something or other Squadron

...and anyone else who's up for a bundle.....

Rumour has it that Darth Bear is en-route too.....

Carrier is en route.

570202375_Toyaircraftcarrier.JPG.b6d8c75f36d4d6d87b4542877b778e3d.JPG

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The two slices of bread are buttered on one side and gently pressed inside each side of the clamshell iron (which could be buttered too).  Fill the depression with whatever you like - even baked beans or a dump an egg in it.

Heat evenly over an open fire / gas hob and viola - a pie made of bread.

The internet being what it is, coincidentally directed me to such an item at a store I mentioned yesterday (linked above) but my parents owned several of these in my formative days. They are neither new nor necessarily American.

Sounds very much like bread and butter pudding. Only the bread is layered in the dish with dried fruit between the layers. Then an egg, sugar and milk mixture is poured over so that all the bread is covered and left to soak in. Then it is baked in the oven until the top is a golden brown.

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, polybear said:

....with the Board members all present in one location......

iD (aka Captain Cynical) is flattered to be asked to join such an august task-force, but humbly asks to have his assignment slightly amended to “evil and merciless nuclear, biological and chemical warfare” (and don’t worry, CC has enough Noddy suits to go ‘round....)

• Funny 13

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

What!!!!!!!? Covers??
They’re  the backbone of my record collection.

Strictly speaking, isn't any  "symphony orchestra" actually just  a cover band?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

iD (aka Captain Cynical) is flattered to be asked to join such an august task-force, but humbly asks to have his assignment slightly amended to “evil and merciless nuclear, biological and chemical warfare” (and don’t worry, CC has enough Noddy suits to go ‘round....)

Won't those bells on the caps give them away?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Sounds very much like bread and butter pudding.

Actually quite different textures. With bread and butter pudding the bread soaks up the custard.

With the campfire pie, it essentially produces a "pocket toast" - but yes the outside is golden brown. The outsides are dry and toasted bread and the inside remains (mostly) separate from the bread but trapped inside. It's kind of like a grilled cheese* sandwich if you could seal the edges together.

* With more flexibility for fillings

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, polybear said:

I could dob them in for littering if ya want.

• Funny 14

A bread pie is indeed do-able (I have a special toaster that does that sort of thing - but the machine [supposedly] only does “toasties”)

But bread puddings, with bread taking the place of suet pastry has a noble history: Summer Pudding and Autumn Pudding come to mind. Neither are a quick dessert and are best prepared the day before. But the wait is worth it especially when served with a lovely thick cream....

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Heat evenly over an open fire / gas hob and viola - a pie made of bread.

Isnt that a Breville Sandwich Maker?

My parents got all excited about one of them in 1974. Is able to superheat the filling to billions of degrees so anything with juice such as tomatoes or....baked beans.... finds its way out of the seal as you hold it up to take a bite and runs down between your fingers in a similar way to how meat pies do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Sounds like an early version of a sandwich toaster to this Bear:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KM15VWY/ref=asc_df_B00KM15VWY1620774000000?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=realhomes-gb-8364825323933977000-21&geniuslink=true

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Most certainly - Bear is honoured to have CC along.  Though try not to snuff 'em out too quickly.....the crime of bvggering up the LDC recipe most certainly deserves significant pain and suffering first.....

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

USS NEW JERSEY off of Korea I think, the photo is familiar.

No idea - quick steal off the interweb!  Ships I sailed on didn't have the pointy bangy things.  Carrying 75,000M3 of frozen (liquid) LPG was somewhat incompatible with naked flames.

• Like 10
  • Agree 6

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Isnt that a Breville Sandwich Maker?

Essentially, though the irons might have deeper pockets. The ones mum and dad had were the old school campfire pie iron and predated the Breville electric ones.

You might be surprised that Breville appliances have made their way to the US - mostly the high-end ones like the coffee machine my cousin has* that can be programmed for everyone in the family.

* More precisely her husband.

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... anything with juice such as tomatoes or....baked beans.... finds its way out of the seal as you hold it up to take a bite and runs down between your fingers in a similar way to how meat pies do.

Then you're not doing it right! ;)

Well, yes, that can happen. Usually does, except when you get lucky and it's perfect. You do have to wait for it not to be lava hot. Some people never learn! :nono:

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

30 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A bread pie is indeed do-able (I have a special toaster that does that sort of thing - but the machine [supposedly] only does “toasties”)

But bread puddings, with bread taking the place of suet pastry has a noble history: Summer Pudding and Autumn Pudding come to mind. Neither are a quick dessert and are best prepared the day before. But the wait is worth it especially when served with a lovely thick cream....

Summer Pie is probably what I was thinking of. Certainly NOT a toastie!

A resourceful chef should be able to adapt the ingredients to suit the purpose! A Breakfast pie in Summer Pie style - there's a challenge! Pity I don't (currently) have a suitable pie dish!

I tend to 'go with the head' and prepare something which I feel will taste right for my situation!

One evening, on my way home from work, I ventured into the local branch of Tess & Coe; in my mind was the flavour of a lightly poached cod fillet in a citrus and cheese sauce. As I wandered around the store, I picked a lime, orange and lemon, selected a suitable cod fillet from the 'fresh' fish counter and an equally suitable lump of decent cheddar cheese from the deli counter (remember them?) then chose a reasonable bottle of white wine. The cod was lightly poached in the combined citrus juices whilst the cheese and the wine were combined to make the sauce; the flavour matched that which I had in mind in the supermarket!! No 'packet' ingredients were used (powdered sauces, etc.), all was (apart from the wine, of course) in as close to its natural state as can be achieved from a supermarket!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, polybear said:

A couple of nights ago, Bear's finely tuned LDC Spectrometer sensed that "something" wasn't quite right.......

Bear's latest lump of LDC seemed to be, dare I say it, somewhat lacking in something - though detecting exactly what that "something" was......I had a suspicion, but nothing more....

FFWD to today, and a mission to the Co-op for supplies......

Disaster No. 1:  No LDC :o

Disaster No. 2:  And the (non-existent) LDC was on special offer.  Bear suspects marauding Hippo's had already cleared the shelves.

End of the World Disaster No. 3:

Whilst perusing other cakes in the "Irresistable" range (of which LDC is - normally - at the forefront) this Bear spotted that skullduggery was afoot......

All other cakes have a yummy gooey filling between the first and second floors - evidence of which is clearly shown on the photos adorning each and every box, except......LDC :cry:

Bear should've suspected that something was afoot when LDC suddenly became LC.

Bear has composed and sent a suitably worded snottogram to the Co-op Customer Services Dept., asking what their game is and what's happened to the yummy middle bit.  They have until Saturday.....

Saturday?  The Co-op AGM 2021.....with the Board members all present in one location......

Me me me can I come too.

I'll provide the camouflage. Nice bit of greenery and you'll blend right in.

I have a friend who works at Kew. He owes me a favour.

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

USS Iowa?

When they were being fired in Gulf War 1 a mutual  aquaintance of DH and I was able to track the shells on the radar in his Tornado. His back seater used to say, "there go another 9 VW's".  As each salvo went over.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

Evening All,

No much to report except a slice of lemon drizzle cake was consumed at the local garden centre. 
Spending time at work tomorrow showing prospective building contractors the job I need doing and hopefully fixing a leaking hot water boiler.

For now Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Me me me can I come too.

I'll provide the camouflage. Nice bit of greenery and you'll blend right in.

I have a friend who works at Kew. He owes me a favour.

The more the merrier.....

25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Odd naval incident reported today. HMAS Sydney arrived in San Diego after an exercise, with two dead fin whales attached to its hull - one 20m and the other 7.6m long. Not specifically reported as such but distressingly might be a mother and calf.

How on earth does a whale get stuck to a ship's hull?

20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

When they were being fired in Gulf War 1 a mutual  aquaintance of DH and I was able to track the shells on the radar in his Tornado. His back seater used to say, "there go another 9 VW's".  As each salvo went over.

Jamie

Apparently one of the big businesses in Vietnam is scrap metal - much of which is from ordnance dropped or fired by the US during the war.  An awful lot of it never exploded - so the locals have taught themselves bomb disposal.  By all accounts much of the scrap goes to the US for processing into raw material for industry.  There is a school of thought that there is a fair chance that there are retired airmen driving around in cars made from ordnance they dropped on 'Nam during the war.....

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7