The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

SSTC

That means absolutely Buxxer All, it's no more than Estate Agents advertising to make it look like they are speedy and doing a good job.    That's why the "STC" bit is usually in such a microscopic font. 

As an example, it took two plus years from when my son's place was first "SSTC" to when he actually sold it and three further potential new properties had to be located and SSTC'd.     The buying and selling of property process in England is a disgrace.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... but can you actually go? ...

More importantly, at this point do you really, really want to?

It's a big NO from me ..... :nono:

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

On another note, apologies to @big jim for not having ventured to my local level crossing this morning (

); an unusual consist down here so would love to have photed but at 03:30, too many zzzzzzzzs were in operation and, to add insult to potential injury, he was running about 5 minutes early! (Schedule here)!

lightweight! 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

The English housing market is flawed.

Offers should be binding subject to any nasties coming up in surveys.

Home owner information packs were introduced by the Blair government but unfortunately hit the vendor with all the costs and wasnt enough in tge right direction. Energy efficiency is one area where the majority of the housing stock is pre war is pretty useless.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 45156 said:

She is a wonderful player

Totally.  I suspect classically trained with Flamenco on the side.  There is some very fancy work in this number from both hands.  Those fingers are made for playing guitar.  They do things mine could only dream about!  

In other news Friday Drinks were enjoyed though light rain caped the outdoor session and the wetting of the insides was concluded inside.  It has officially been the weekend for several hours now and is one of the two nights of the week when I am not on a timed sack-hitting as there is no alarm to trouble me in the morning.  I may yet manage a night cap of Raasay's "While We Wait" pre-release single malt.  Their first main release, due about now, is already over-subscribed but I am at least in the ballot for a bottle.  

Until tomorrow ..... sleep well and stay safe.  

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear checked out the Estate Agent's ad for buddy next door's house - included was that dreaded four-letter abbreviation "SSTC" ...snip...

What is "SSTC"? i have not seen that over here. TIA

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Busy day, just finished. SWMBO wanting to watch a film but dont think I’m going to make it to the end.

better say goodnight now,

Robert

Sorry duplicate post, don’t know how it happened and more to the point don’t know how to remove it.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Erichill16 said:

Sorry duplicate post, don’t know how it happened and more to the point don’t know how to remove it.

Click on edit, delete what is written then type duplicate. Click on the three dots top right and it comes up 'report'. Click on that and then on the duplicate post option.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No trouble from Arthur Itis or Si Attica but the eczema is driving me mad by itching so suitable lotion has been applied. Thoughts are with Dave's dad and with any other ER's who are ailing.

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

The buying and selling of property process in England is a disgrace.

But better than the unseemly and very public spectacle of the Aussie auction.  Many (in some areas most) homes are sold by on-street auction.  Typically the vendor hides inside, the agent razzes up the assembled multitude and the street can be blocked if there's a lot of interest.  It's as much show-biz as property biz.  When the debacle is over the auctioneer then has to go and ask the vendor if they will accept the offered price.  Meaning its' not over yet.  

If the price is accepted the agent returns to the winning bidder and advises "We are in the market" or if it's not enough "We are not yet in the market".  If we are in the market the high bidder then has to front the readies - or evidence of financial standing such as a written offer of loan.

And when it all goes down the gurgler the process starts over again.  And sometimes again and again.  

These public auctions tend to work in the vendor's favour.  The same sort of bidding fever which is associated with highly sought-after items on internet auction sites - or indeed at public auction houses - drives prices sometimes way beyond what a property is really worth.  And that can be where the buyer comes unstuck.  They may have over-bid beyond their means or mortgage or the lender may refuse to lend based on their own valuation.  With that comes the potential for years of financial hardship for the buyer while the vendor moves on with pockets better lined than they expected.  Which is precisely what happened to our Former Neoghbours (Australian) who moved to the Never Lands shortly before we left for the Untidy Kingdom.  They sold at auction for $120,000 (or about 20%) more than they expected; we still own our property and rent it out.  

• Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

14 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

But better than the unseemly and very public spectacle of the Aussie auction.  Many (in some areas most) homes are sold by on-street auction.  Typically the vendor hides inside, the agent razzes up the assembled multitude and the street can be blocked if there's a lot of interest.  It's as much show-biz as property biz.  When the debacle is over the auctioneer then has to go and ask the vendor if they will accept the offered price.  Meaning its' not over yet.  

If the price is accepted the agent returns to the winning bidder and advises "We are in the market" or if it's not enough "We are not yet in the market".  If we are in the market the high bidder then has to front the readies - or evidence of financial standing such as a written offer of loan.

And when it all goes down the gurgler the process starts over again.  And sometimes again and again.  

These public auctions tend to work in the vendor's favour.  The same sort of bidding fever which is associated with highly sought-after items on internet auction sites - or indeed at public auction houses - drives prices sometimes way beyond what a property is really worth.  And that can be where the buyer comes unstuck.  They may have over-bid beyond their means or mortgage or the lender may refuse to lend based on their own valuation.  With that comes the potential for years of financial hardship for the buyer while the vendor moves on with pockets better lined than they expected.  Which is precisely what happened to our Former Neoghbours (Australian) who moved to the Never Lands shortly before we left for the Untidy Kingdom.  They sold at auction for $120,000 (or about 20%) more than they expected; we still own our property and rent it out.  

In the current climate they rarely make it to auction. Most are sold the second they go to market - the place across the road here went on the market Friday, "under contract" sticker went up over the 'for sale' sign 30 minutes after the Saturday morning open house. Most don't even get the For Sale sign up. Its crazy times.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Click on edit, delete what is written then type duplicate. Click on the three dots top right and it comes up 'report'. Click on that and then on the duplicate post option.

Done that but message says after clicking report ‘page you are trying to access is not available ‘

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

16 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

These public auctions tend to work in the vendor's favour.

Which I imagine is at least part of the intent?

My Aunt recently sold her home in Adelaide to move closer to relatives in Queensland. The house was listed and she was entertaining offers but there was an auction date advertised to make sure she could sell in time to move.

I believe she accepted a reasonable offer before the auction date.

• Informative/Useful 17

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Most don't even get the For Sale sign up. Its crazy times.

Real estate has been greatly influenced by the pandemic. Here supply is extremely limited and there is great demand for suburban property - people wanting homes with more home office and remote learning space.

I hear stories in the press of people bidding way over asking price and first-time buyers being priced out of the market, but in my neighbourhood, while I do see a lot of houses being sold (and mostly quickly), they are not being sold for vast amounts above what feels like 'market' value. One which looks very nice from the outside seems to have taken about a year to sell after having the asking price reduced and being taken off the market for a while.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Done that but message says after clicking report ‘page you are trying to access is not available ‘

That means its been reported and removed by the mods.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well after this morning’s post saying it was bright and sunny, we had some rain and hail. However, I managed to get to and from the butchers this morning, without getting wet. Whilst at the Trafford Centre, I managed to get back to the car just before the rain started, the rain turned to hailstone as I was driving home. But, once home and I’d parked up, I sat in the car and waited for the hail to stop. Thankfully, I didn’t have to wait long and I was back inside just before 11:30, so not bad considering I got out of bed late! 

From seeing numerous people, of varying ages and ethnicity, all walking about both the Trafford Centre and Costco, who were not  wearing their masks properly, forced me to the conclusion that there must be a lot of people living in the Manchester area that ONLY breathe through their mouths   :rtfm: :rtfm:. These folk stand out in a crowd, as you can distinguish them quite easily, because they wear a mask that only covers their mouths! Well who’d have thought there were such clever people living among us mere mortals eh? :girldevil: Grrrrrrrrr. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 9

8 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

... there must be a lot of people living in the Manchester area that ONLY breathe through their mouths

It's my understanding that the term "mouth breather" is pejorative. Curious that they would want to reinforce that notion.

And really no better than the 'chin strap' mask wearers.

The US CDC continues to update their advice on SARS-CoV-2 transmission to emphasize inhalation of viral droplets and aerosols as the primary infection mode.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1