The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all.

The sky in W. London looks like it's about to drop something nasty on us all. Weekly Tesco run this AM followed by walkies from which I got back ten minutes before a hail shower (not luck - I was reading the clouds and timed it well )

A close friend was told yesterday that she might not be able to have the hip replacement she desparately needs because she "may not meet the criteria".    She is understandably upset. 

I had a whole "Millionaire's Chocolate Cake"  left over from Sunday's slightly over catered garden lunch and am trying  to see how slowly I can consume it. It's "best before" today (but not "use by" fortunately) so we shall see if it loses its flavour before it gets wolfed. I won't mention the "Billionaire's Cheesecake" that's also in the fridge but there were only two portions of that left over. If I was very self-disciplined they'd both be in the food recycling  by  now but the chances of that happening are about the same as my winning the National Lottery (I don't do the National Lotttery) In fact I think it's probably mugatea and small(ish) piece of chocolate cake time right now.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Thanks for the good wishes for her5self, I shall pass them on when she awakens from her post luncheon (and rosé) slumber.   An excellent meal was had by all of us herself having startered with the shrimps, main coursed on the sea bream while the GD startered with the crispy duck and went on to chicken salad for her main while I kicked off with the chicken liver parfait and progressed to the venison with haggis - brilliant combination.   Overall very good grub all round and all three of us well satisfied with quality and quantity while the level and attentiveness of service was excellent although they were dealing with about two dozen covers.  And the GD contributed 60 quid towards the bill which my bank balance greatly appreciated.

Thence to Tesco for herself to do some shopping for essentials and finally home - where we sat in the car for a while as the rain and hail descended in force - we're back to sunshine now.  Fantastic sky with all shades and shapes of very dark clouds on the way home and until the rain arrived.

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I googled iD's suggested test, and did an abridged on line one, with 100 or so questions.....I only disagreed with one of its findings of quite a few 'characteristics' it delivered an opinion on.  ....

That illustrates my point, Neil. You may consider yourself as (to make up a totally hypothetical example) as a timid introvert, whereas anybody encountering you would note your jovial extraversion...

For various reasons (and they can be both convoluted and complex) when you self-diagnose you emphasise certain things to yourself and de-emphasise other things.

One last thing: no matter how good an assessment instrument is, it should never be used in isolation but as part of a battery of tests.  Psychological or psychiatric assessment of individuals  takes time, skill, patience and experience and it's not something you can teach on a one or two day course and do with the aid of a ten item checklist.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It may be different by the time we depart next year but at the moment it is only possible to dine in your own “travel bubble” on the cruise ship. As Aditi has put in a request for “a table for 2 near a window” as preferred seating that should be ok. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

The sky in W. London looks like it's about to drop something nasty on us

To the east of London it has become dark and rain is falling heavily. Not hail like yesterday. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

33 minutes ago, BoD said:

And the result if this telephone consultation?

They are recommending she has a hearing test.

Is she sure she heard that right?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 18

38 minutes ago, BoD said:

One for the I just don’t believe it/I don’t know whether to laugh or cry,  file.

My mum (that’s ‘me mam’ for those from this area) is 90 and whist remarkable for her age has quite a few health issues.  Angina, blood pressure, arthritis etc.  - nothing unusual for someone of her age, I suppose.  Because of the current situation her yearly review was carried out in a telephone consultation.

And the result if this telephone consultation?

They are recommending she has a hearing test.

I hope you don't mind me 'laughing' ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

After Aditi’s father died I was having a conversation with my GP and mentioned that at one stage FiL had discharged himself from hospital as he didn’t think they  were treating what he had diagnosed for himself. My GP commented that quite a few doctors die of self diagnosis. 

A friend  of mine was admitted to a psychiatric ward once. He was a well qualified doctor and whilst in there diagnosed 3 long term sectioned patients as suffering from treatable physical disorders.  One of them had been in some time as he wasn't communicating. Charles found out that he was stone deak from working in a steelworks.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You indeed have a sensible dog, Sir. Schotty when he is after his ball is like a heroin junky desperate for his next fix: the ball is all that counts and is all that is focused on - to the detriment of everything else. 

My Doggo, a smooth coat JRT going by the name of Bingley, is likewise focussed.

His favourite toy is a knobbly rubber bone which he will chase and fetch but never give up on anyone's terms but his. Food bribery does not work at all, he would have both if he could work out a way of doing it, but give up his bone? Never, not even for cheese.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Overdone the eye lid inspection again this afternoon but I vaguely remember the rain mentioned by Tony. So nothing much done today but what with the rain the G word was out anyway. At least the car is a bit cleaner and I was only thinking of cleaning it. Tea has brewed so its be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

I hope you don't mind me 'laughing' ?

Not al all...

... I did, and I need something to cheer me up at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It's sunny but the seaweed twirlers, wherever they are in this country, have mixed messages.

One wonders if they consider the entrails of an elderly rooster before consecrating it with vin rouge as coq au vin.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

19 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Trendlines suggest that here in Oregon our fourth wave might be peaking. Apparently the governor has a press conference later today. It will be interesting to hear what she has to say.

The governor struck back with data during the early evening news broadcast. While the 'news' outlets were grinding their old saw about the likelihood of my county being moved into 'extreme risk', interviewing the griping small business owners and tut-tutting over fans not being permitted to watch upcoming (English) football matches, including the women's (NWSL) challenge cup final, the governor determined that the state had met the hospitalization metrics to move all counties out of 'extreme risk' and back into 'high risk' reversing the ban on limited capacity indoor dining.

Consequently the late evening news had the griping small business owners complaining about how the rules kept changing. The rules have been constant. We keep seeing increasing infection rates each time people are permitted to gather indoors in their restaurants and bars.

Hopefully we will have a persistent downward trend. We're close to having 33% fully vaccinated.

1406592156_covid202105.PNG.ba91889ed3b5bc3ec546a7a790bd3721.PNG

Meanwhile the weather is warm and sunny, despite some hazy high cloud. Rain moves in tomorrow.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Happy birthday Mrs @The Stationmaster...

HUMP day.

Nothing to report from yesterday, and expected to be a repeat today. <yawn>

Weather "iffy" with a morning start of just 2 and overcast. Warming to 13 with predictions of the yellow orb becoming visible.

Enjoy the day.

Paging you Ian. I have sent you a PM.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I mentioned yesterday that I will be getting jab # 2 tomorrow week. Quite some time since my first jab (15th Feb) so I wonder if it had somehow slipped through the net. 

I found this series on YouTube and very interesting.

It covers such disasters as Zeebrugge and a few railway disasters, very interesting.

• Like 14