The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was really going to town this morning, Ibuforen has been deployed. I will have to contact the surgery on Tuesday about  my second jab. My first was on the 17th of February and I was told I would be contacted when the second was due but nothing yet. I posted off my ballot papers yesterday, I suspect that somehow I got missed despite being on the electoral register as I didn't receive a poll card either. I must compliment the electoral office in the way they got it sorted.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

We got there an hour later and my words were 'ow much'.  €245 for a battery.  Apparently if stop start is fitted, which it is, the batteries are twice the normal price and havea life of about 4 years.  Pah and double pah.  At least Beth has her car back.  Some sticky chocolate cake from a friend helped the mood.  My wallet is in mourning, but we did get all theckeys back and they did let us off the €99  charge for the CT.  Feedback will ge interesting.

Not sure why a S/S battery should be twice the price - sure, it is likely to have a higher Ah rating but not to double the price.  Mind you, with the ton knocked off it comes down to £145 which is a bit more like it, assuming it's a reasonable make (Bosch etc.).  Bear would be a little wary of negative feedback that has obvious origins as they might just remember it for the future.

In other news:

Bear is now ready for the kitchen delivery, apart from dust sheets on the floor and moving a small section of worktop being used as a temporary kitchen work surface - but in the lounge.  New smart plug tested and appears to be working well whilst in the shed - and I've just experienced a scenario where the new plug was responding to on/off commands whilst the Amazon plug (3" away, in the same double socket) wasn't playing - Alexa was telling me "Sorry, plug is not responding" (it appears to do this on a random basis - sometimes it'll behave quite happily).  And all without the new Wifi Extender being plugged in - it appeared to offer very little if any benefit so Amazon can expect that back.  Twenty quid refund, and the new pug was nine quid.  Bear calls that a result. :yahoo:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, polybear said:

That's Pupper's card well and truly marked....

:D

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I wonder what Puppers would make of me? My loft has Parque flooring, central heating, doubles as a home office/second TV room/guest bedroom and has an ensuite bathroom. Would I be classified as über-posh (or even aristocratic?).

Hmmm.  I can see I'm going to have to re-evaluate my loft experience!

I thought my partially boarded (Wickes finest chipboard flooring panels),  loaded with junk useful, previously enjoyed items, old R/C model aircraft airframes  (mostly requiring extensive restoration) and the "resting between engagements" Christmas decorations was the very height of luxury.

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Borderline Royalty...

That might be pushing it but as long as ID doesn't flounce off claiming "Press intrusion into his life" and then go and get a 3 hour primetime interview with a famous American "Chat Show" host he might get away with it.   As he is also Captain Cynical I wonder what the full and correct title is by which we should all be addressing him?    I think etiquette dictates that we use the correct title (if only to avoid a one way trip to the Tower).

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear was briefly tempted by the dark side of the Force....

(Whilst typing that Bear was trying to picture Puppers with a Light Sabre.  Let's call it a work in progress....:laugh:)

I believe it will soon be May 4th, not that I really know what all the fuss is about as I still haven't seen any of the cinematic delights in that particular series and I intend to keep it that way.  Indeed, I look on it as a positive challenge to avoid all contact with such worlds of make believe until my final breath (I've already had 45 years of it and that was enough ......)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

Dry and sunny in North Somerset at the moment. There were heavy showers around yesterday, but we missed them and my washing dried very quickly. There were several panic stations when very dark clouds appeared, but they passed by in an adjacent fashion. 

The idea of changing from winter to summer clothes made me smile. In the UK it would never be worth it. Anyhow, in my case denim jeans are denim jeans, whatever the weather; and a thick sweatshirt will be jettisoned for a thinner polo shirt if the temperatures rise into the mid-20s, but that is about it. 

I think this maybe outdoor tomato plant weekend, where 30-40 plants are put into large south facing troughs once cold nights are deemed to be a thing of the past, although the wet and windy bank holiday Monday scenario may delay this event until next Tuesday. Discussions with the Kamp Kommandant will no doubt be lengthy, and subtly framed, to ensure I take the blame for any errors made in the decisions once hindsight can be used with confidence. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

.... That might be pushing it but as long as ID doesn't flounce off claiming "Press intrusion into his life" and then go and get a 3 hour primetime interview with a famous American "Chat Show" host he might get away with it.   As he is also Captain Cynical I wonder what the full and correct title is by which we should all be addressing him?    I think etiquette dictates that we use the correct title (if only to avoid a one way trip to the Tower)....

Heaven forbid! I am anything but regal. Noble, perhaps (and with a very noble profile – some would even say handsome), but certainly not regal.

Furthermore, neither iD or Captain Cynical would ever dream of flouncing (too nouveau riche by far).

As for the correct way of addressing me: when I am in my civvies it’s just plain ID or even “dottore”, when on duty as “Captain Cynical“ it is either “Captain” or “Sir“ – depending on circumstances. Don’t worry if you commit a faux pas when addressing me, it will certainly won’t result in you enjoying a one-way trip to the tower (besides, have you seen what the Crown charges nowadays for a Tower of London prison cell and the services of a trusty executioner? No wonder HMQ isn’t short a few bob...)

Whilst on the subject of execution (or as we call it nowadays in the trade “punitive premature retirement”) Captain Cynical Industries AG is proud to announce a new division “Twice as Bright” (from the Bladerunner quote by the industrialist Tyrell: “The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long”). TaB will provide discrete PPR services, inhuming the chosen target with finesse and refinement (and at very reasonable prices).

Obviously, Captain Cynical cannot reveal either clients or client’s targets, but it suffices to say that a certain “influencer” who painted a PPE mask on her face to flaunt the strict masking requirements in Bali will have a rather short shelf life...

Edited by iL Dottore
Missed a word
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We had a lie in this morning, so that resulted in a late breakfast. The original plan was to get the pressure washer out and clean up the front where the skip was, but rain has put paid to that idea. So I'll continue working in the cellar and make a start fixing the socket back boxes in place. I'll have to knock off a little bit earlier this afternoon as Sheila has her second AZ injection this afternoon. 

Oh well, time to get the hammer drill started. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later.

Brian 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Not sure why a S/S battery should be twice the price - sure, it is likely to have a higher Ah rating but not to double the price.

The chemistry and cell construction may well also be different in order to cope with the repeated and potentially frequent high discharge and then the severe canning the battery gets as the system tries to replace the often depleted energy levels as quickly as possible so as not to be "caught short" as it were.      Yes, I know, I'm making excuses for the fleecers - Doh!  

I always thought it was a stupid idea ......

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ref44 said:

To all, many thanks for the kind wishes and the various experiences of different solutions to the stair problem. SWMBO is being transferred to a community hospital for further rehab and memory tests so expect to be waiting a few weeks for the results.

The humour is also much appreciated; there hasn't been a lot to laugh about so far this year with the domestic situation.

Mike

Just a few words of advice about lift sales people. They are worse than used car and used horse sales people. I have never come across such a set of rogues, even professionally.  They make their money out of customers having to buy in a hurry to get their loved one out of hospital.  Stannah were the most expensive but the most honest.  Many of them told lies about who actually manufactured their equipment. Much of it is badged at the factory.  I ended up going with Acorn who were willing to negotiate.  It worked well and we ended up selling it on Ebay when we moved to France. Feel free to PM me if you want any help.  I think I got 6 quotes in the end and ended up paying 30% of the most expensive quote.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Don’t worry if you commit a faux pas when addressing me, it will certainly won’t result in you enjoying a one-way trip to the tower (besides, have you seen what the Crown charges nowadays for a Tower of London prison cell and the services of a trusty executioner? No wonder HMQ isn’t short a few bob...)

Seems Her Maj. wants TEN LDC's (that's thirty quid to the uninitiated) for a day pass into the place.  Cake is extra - and I suspect it's a case of "if you have to ask then you can't afford....)

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

The chemistry and cell construction may well also be different in order to cope with the repeated and potentially frequent high discharge and then the severe canning the battery gets as the system tries to replace the often depleted energy levels as quickly as possible so as not to be "caught short" as it were.      Yes, I know, I'm making excuses for the fleecers - Doh!  

I always thought it was a stupid idea ......

Stop-Start?  A cunning scheme dreamt up by manufacturers of starter motors.  Bear's gets selected to the off mode as soon as the car starts - a new starter for my little number is two hundred notes.

Bear has just watched "DIY SOS - The Big Build" - series 26 episode 2.  See if you can watch this one without blubbing (repeated tonight - 11pm on HGTV, Freeview Channel 25).  I do wish they'd take a little more time though - building on 3-day old floor screed that's 3" thick can't be a good thing.  I'd quite like a close  look round one of these builds 6 months after they've been done.

Still no kitchen :sad_mini2:  Difficult to plan what to do as a consequence, cos' a truck could appear at any time (supposedly I get a phone call from the crew beforehand....hmmm...).  This morning's fun involved paperwork. Nuff sed.

• Friendly/supportive 16

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

My car has stop/start, is nine and a half years old and still has the original battery (cue imminent battery failure?). Every so often the stop/start stops working, which seems to be an indication that the battery charge has fallen too low and a reasonably long journey will resolve the issue.

Mine too, but I keep it turned off following a tank full of fuel experiment comparing mpg; about 5% better with s/s switched off. Also I can get about 10% better mpg by switching off eco mode and driving how I was taught to. :)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Round of applause 1

Good Afternoon,

I have noted the stairs issues and offer:

http://bentleymobility.co.uk/

They provided us with a stair lift using much tighter radii than Stannah could contemplate. Worked fine and was well maintained by them!

At least a stair lift can be easily removed if you move; a vertical lift ain't so easy!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Bear is currently watching "Without Remorse" via a certain South American River - a good film so far (if you like a "shoot up the baddies" kinda film).

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I was sat waiting from Sheila to get jabbed, I received a message inviting me for my 2nd jab. So I booked it immediately and consequently I Pfizered again on Saturday 15 at 2:30pm.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

My Stop / Start stopped working soon after I got the Car, and TBH it doesn't worry me, and as said earlier, its cheaper than a new starter Motor.:P

Both of us hate it and try and remember to turn it off as soon as we start the car. I find it a pain pulling up atva junction on a slight gradient. As it's an automatic you tend to hold it on tickover then the dratted thing cuts out and you start rolling back.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12