The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Dry, sunny but cold this morning. I will have to check with the local electoral office as I haven't received my postal vote yet but I fear that if somethings gone wrong its a bit to late. Item on the Breakfast Show about some scrotes phoning up people who's dogs have gone missing and demanding money or they'll kill the dog. In almost every case they do not have the dog and are just scammers. Some are so confident stupid that they gave their victims their bank details. I thought that if I have their bank details and they want money put into it I'm sure there's some Nigerian gentlemen who will oblige :jester:

A neighbour & friend (in her 60's+ at the time) had a call from Lister A&E once - her son had been brought in unconscious and they wanted medical history etc. - her son was a Type 1 diabetic and she immediately went into semi-panic mode and assumed this was the cause.  The call went on for a while, then the caller says "can you just hold the line for a moment.....oh, no, I'm really sorry - but he's just died....".  At that point she smelled a very big rat and started asking who was calling etc. - much laughing in the background then the phone went dead.  All totally untraceable etc.  - I guess the b'stards foned random numbers with their story until they got lucky.

How sick can you get??

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

Then the last few bits of paving can go into the skip, which is a mini skip, (7ft long, 4ft wide, 3ft high) not a full size one and only cost me £100.

That is cheap - it sounds like a 4 yard skip, for which you'd be paying two hundred quid in Bear's neighbourhood.  No wonder people fly-tip.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Looking forward today to getting the car fuelled for the first time in about ten weeks.

Hoping I can remember where the filler cap is located.

And how to open it.

Our Fiesta doesn’t have a filler cap. You just shove the nozzle in. I first came across this filling up a Ford Focus in Houston and someone kindly explained. I had warned Aditi about the Fiesta but I suspect she wasn’t paying attention or thought how difficult can it be. She also had a very nice man wander up from the car behind and offer assistance. She thanked him and he said he worked for Ford locally and guessed why she was having a problem. Just for once she was being gentle. 
Early this morning I was informed the remote control for the shower wasn’t working. My first question was had Aditi cleaned it with any chemicals yesterday. After consulting the internet (thank you shower manufacturer for posting installation sheets for old products) I removed the button, removed the cable, put it back and all was fine. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Today will involve keeping watch on some washing which I have to hang on our whirlygig in the garden. Pah!

Baz,

If you fancy a break - I have some paint drying....... :D

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Dry, sunny but cold this morning. I will have to check with the local electoral office as I haven't received my postal vote yet but I fear that if somethings gone wrong its a bit to late. Item on the Breakfast Show about some scrotes phoning up people who's dogs have gone missing and demanding money or they'll kill the dog. In almost every case they do not have the dog and are just scammers. Some are so confident stupid that they gave their victims their bank details. I thought that if I have their bank details and they want money put into it I'm sure there's some Nigerian gentlemen who will oblige :jester:

31 minutes ago, polybear said:

A neighbour & friend (in her 60's+ at the time) had a call from Lister A&E once - her son had been brought in unconscious and they wanted medical history etc. - her son was a Type 1 diabetic and she immediately went into semi-panic mode and assumed this was the cause.  The call went on for a while, then the caller says "can you just hold the line for a moment.....oh, no, I'm really sorry - but he's just died....".  At that point she smelled a very big rat and started asking who was calling etc. - much laughing in the background then the phone went dead.  All totally untraceable etc.  - I guess the b'stards foned random numbers with their story until they got lucky.

How sick can you get??

I am sure that, somewhere, there will be some “expert” (well insulated, and protected from, the consequences and fallout from their appalling decisions and policies) who will make up excuses for such vile individuals.

In the fictional book World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, Max Brooks writes about how criminals were punished during the fight against the zombie hordes: with not enough non-Zombie humans to run a prison system (and with every able bodied human desperately needed to fight zombies) the truly murderous and evil were executed, whilst other criminals were placed in the stocks and then had to face the community where they had committed their crimes. According to the novel, very few re-offended...

With Britain’s legal system overstretched, maybe it’s time to return justice to the people and bring back the stocks: one person, one rock - you can’t get more democratic than that :jester::diablo_mini:

(on a more serious note, I discovered that in Georgian England - depending on the crime - criminals sometimes would beg for a prison sentence rather than face the community in the stocks)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Our Fiesta doesn’t have a filler cap. You just shove the nozzle in. I first came across this filling up a Ford Focus in Houston and someone kindly explained. I had warned Aditi about the Fiesta but I suspect she wasn’t paying attention or thought how difficult can it be. She also had a very nice man wander up from the car behind and offer assistance. She thanked him and he said he worked for Ford locally and guessed why she was having a problem. Just for once she was being gentle. 
Early this morning I was informed the remote control for the shower wasn’t working. My first question was had Aditi cleaned it with any chemicals yesterday. After consulting the internet (thank you shower manufacturer for posting installation sheets for old products) I removed the button, removed the cable, put it back and all was fine. 
Tony

I am intrigued as to why you have a remote d control for the shower? Is it to allow you to switch the shower on prior to entry. I have never heard of such a thing?

Edited by Winslow Boy
B........y spellchucker
  • Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi’s friend is buying a house near Everything was progressing smoothly until yesterday when the vendor said she wanted another £50000. 

Tellin' em' to poke it springs to mind....

In other news:

Bear's having a flaky day, wandering about wondering what I feel like doing.  I feel like cracking on with fitting kitchen units - only no units, and no news - so a delivery tomorrow is highly unlikely.  I still have weeding to do - but it's cold outside - and a pooey job.  Think I might see what I don't need in the loft.  Maybe.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

19 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Many moons ago as I was 'leaving home' my parents downsized into a 60's bungalow which had ducted air heating - I hated it! I only lived there a fortnight, but I had a dry throat  and sinuses the entire time.  The parentals moved a couple of years later too....they felt the same.

They aren't common in the UK, where some form of heated water or storage heaters (also ugh) are more common.  Yet it appears they are normal in the US, I understand it makes A/C easier to arrange too, for the more extreme climate than we have , but.....ugh.

We had that when I was growing up along with a gas fire in the lounge and wall bar heaters in the hall and the bathroom. Even down in Kent it got cold with that heating so we had something my kids have never had - scraping the frost off the inside of the windows. My parents still live in the same house but long ago (40+) years ago had central heating put in and double glazing.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Sorted out my postal vote and it should be with me by Monday. Not only had I not received the ballot papers I hadn't had a poll card and I was beginning to wonder if I wasn't on the electoral roll. Fortunately the young lady in the electoral office confirmed that I was and put the necessary papers in the post. 

2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Dry and cold here in North Somerset. Some brief sunny spells, but cloud is developing and showers are expected this afternoon. 

Had a call from the solicitors to say one of the chain involved in selling Dad's bungalow has dropped out. I'm not sure what happens now. I contacted the agents and they are trying to find out more details. It is not our buyers, but there are 4 households (including us) in this marathon. 

The property was put up for sale in Autumn 2019, but winter and then various lockdowns meant viewings were intermittent; after which eventually the first buyer decided to pull out. We found a second potential purchaser, who is probably even more frustrated than we are, but further covid restrictions have so far meant the sale is proceeding ultra slowly. 

Unfortunately, due to Dad's deteriorating condition, we may stray into estate/executor territory; which will mean the contracts having to be re-written and delays waiting for probate. Never mind; there is not a lot we can do, except just wait and see what fate has lined up. One of my son's was reading about humans being pawns in a vast galactic game being played by supremely intelligent beings from somewhere far far away; and I am beginning to see the logic of that idea now. 

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi’s friend is buying a house near Everything was progressing smoothly until yesterday when the vendor said she wanted another £50000. 

Property values are going up hand over fist apparently, some of it is reckoned to be due to the lockdown and people working from home.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

My parents had the really bad combination, ducted storage heating, by the time you really needed heat at sunset.. There wasn't any.. Soon a gas became available  they had a proper gas fired boiler put in..

The first house (council) house they had, two coal fires downstairs and that was it, yep get undressed and dressed in bed time...

Houses are selling very rapidly round here, as all the Londoners have realize they can WFH out in the sticks..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is cloudy and there have been spots of rain. Work has rather impinged on me catching up here properly but never mind.

My boss was in the office the other day - he said it was fairly busy compared to other recent times he's been in, somewhere around 1/3 occupied.

I may venture in one day next week. No need, but I am beginning to feel maybe I ought to!

• Like 10
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Houses are selling very rapidly round here, as all the Londoners have realize they can WFH out in the sticks..

But if their bosses turn round and decide they want people back in the office, and also the Londoners realise that there are a lot less amenities out in "the sticks" then they'll come unstuck - and when they try to move back to London they'll suddenly discover that London property prices have moved a lot faster than theirs have.  And when they then try to look for a job more locally they'll discover that salaries in the sticks are an awful lot less than in the big cities.  Bear predicts pain coming....

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

Mornin/afternoon/evenin - who knows :D

Been lurking as I've been working so I won't have a marathon catch up session tomorrow - hopefully.

Today's been a mixed day so far with an average satisfaction score of 6/10 - so not bad going at all really.

As I type this, Doggo is going bonkers at a pigeon that is sitting on the Juliet balcony rail, just outside the mid floor window :D

Hope all are well, and if not I hope you are improving.

Bye for now - coffee to be drunk, then the final meeting of the day.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Baz,

If you fancy a break - I have some paint drying....... :D

well I went out for 10 minutes.. getting back just in time to bring the washing in as it was about to chuckitdarn! That was my excitement!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

When I was young we had one coal fire (this morphed into being an electric fire). No other forms of heating.. ice on the inside of the windows and on the bed quilt some mornings.. but we were dead hard Yackers so felt no pain!  (in your dreams.. it was flipping freezing!)  However the use of goose down filled quilts and mattresses helped.. it all just moulded itself to your shape.. soon warmed up...

Kids today would never survive!

Baz

• Like 8
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Face it, WE today would never survive ...

Ah, but we did! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

A productive afternoon has seen the “bee-bombing” of waste ground behind the station with packs of seed which - if they work per instructions - should turn into some sort of wildflower meadow patch. This is the area which seldom if ever gets mowed and which until recently was home to trees which had to go because they grew too big for the location. 

Voting was completed postally in order to avoid any risk of actually meeting other people at the church hall on the day. It doesn’t stop the junk mail arriving because theoretically no-one knows you have done it.  

In a slightly chilly moment I placed the chair outside and am enjoying an ale. With one eye on the time to ensure Dr. SWMBO is duly fed and watered before her presentation. 

Is that rain??? :o  I almost forgot. The weather must be rehearsing for the Ban Collar Day weekend ;) 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1