The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Remembered to get some glue today but doing other things means that I haven't started on the stock boxes yet.

10 hours ago, polybear said:

The smart plug in the shed (for controlling the water feature remotely) is still proving to be temperamental, despite the change from 5GHz to 2.4GHz on the router - the tablet tells me the signal strength at the shed is p.poor.  A wifi extender (twenty quid) was ordered from a certain south american jungle earlier, so hopefully that'll fix things.

(Incidentally, when using that site if you go to this site instead (it's still Amazon) then money is earnt (0.5% of eligible purchases - presumably that's stuff sold by Amazon rather than a reseller) for the charity of your choice).

Have you got an electric supply to the shed? I read somewhere that there is a device that you plug into a socket and it uses the house wiring to transmit wi-fi.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Stow Maries WW1 aerodrome .... :)

I went there a few years ago when they were just opening. I'd like to re-visit some time, maybe this summer.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Have you got an electric supply to the shed? I read somewhere that there is a device that you plug into a socket and it uses the house wiring to transmit wi-fi.

Yes, there's mains in the shed; the devices you are referring to are called Powerline Adapters - I've no experience of them, but a quick check reveals they would come in more expensive than the twenty quid TP-Link wifi extender currently in the post.  I'll let you know if it's any good.

• Like 9

The day began cloudy but the sun is shining brightly. I did see the 'super' moon last night right around the time it was officially "full" and grabbed a pair of binoculars. It was quite spectacular.

The weather is again warming up and we may see something approaching 27°C on Thursday. Apparently we are on track for our driest April on record. The words "dry" and "April" don't even belong in the same sentence for the Pacific Northwest. I am glad that I turned on the irrigation system, and the back-flow valve (which protects the water supply from potential contamination by the irrigation) passed it's annual mandatory test.

Whatever Chaucer may have said about Aprille shoures, the lack of them may bring us a bad fire season.

My second Pfizer shot is scheduled for 4:00pm. Other than navigating rush hour traffic on the way home, I am looking forward to being done.

A couple of weeks ago the US CDC declared that constant sanitizing of surfaces with disinfectant is "hygiene theatre" and not essential - transmission being by airborne droplets and aerosols. Today the CDC declared that mask wearing in uncrowded outdoor spaces is not required for the fully vaccinated (2 shots + ~2 weeks).  Meanwhile the rolling seven day average of daily new cases in Oregon has increased by 200% in the last five weeks (meaning case rate now is 3X the case rate of five weeks ago) and shows no sign of slowing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, polybear said:

or even some Punk Rock - any suitable recommendations @Erichill16?  

Anything by the Dead Kennedys, but my favorites are

Nazi Punks F*** Off

Holiday in Cambodia 

I Kill Children and 

California Uber Alles.

But for an sheer aural abuse you can’t beat

So What? by Anti Nowhere League.

I haven’t got a copy of the above as the lyric is absolutely filthy, you ain’t gonna hear it on Smooth Radio.

Google it at your peril!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Afternoon all,

Many happy returns to young Andy Peters - have a good one.  shoping was sg hopped (I wasn't iinvolved), quarantine items moved to the quarantine area (I was involved), usual form of my luncheon prepared and eaten (I was directly involved in both), dustbin moved round to teh frin ready to outside later (you can guess who did that), afternoon pills taken with a cup of Oxo, now arrived at ERs.    Little or nothing else of note to report so far for today.

Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe

The interesting thing is taht apart frm the shed and triangle there doesn't seem to have been anywhere for an engine to turn - unless there was another turntable somewhere in the northern end of the yards?   Older large scale maps do show such a turntable but whether or not it was reproduced on a different site after the hump yard was built is another matter entirely.  However Whitemoor jcn would inevitably have been a busy 'box and a move between the Up side engine Line and the shed was one that crossed everything so would ideally be avoided unless an engine needed to go to shed for anything, which I would think unlikely for an engine which had worked up the Joint Line as all it would need would be water and turning (and possibly  a bit of fire cleaning but nothing really serious in that respect.  

And of course there is the simple question of whether or not all engine moves (or numbers) were recorded in the TRB? 

I feel the need to explain the Whitemoor Junction register. It is not the usual 'bell code' 'time entering section', 'time leaving section' records. They are times of light engine movements on and off the shed. Whether there was another register for through services, I don't know; but there are no Manchester Boat Train, or York - Yarmouth references here. 

All loco numbers are recorded. 

IMG_8903.jpg.7d2ed1158421f234b33286bd62a04ef3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

We had a powerline adapter for eldest PlayStation it cost £50 we got the plug through version. All you do is plug in the adapter near your router connect a Ethernet cable to adapter from router. And the where you want the next adapter plug it in and then Ethernet cable to the device you want to connect to press pair and hey presto. 

We now have a more powerful broadband 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I went there a few years ago when they were just opening. I'd like to re-visit some time, maybe this summer.

Stow Maries is a remarkable place.   If  you saw any 1/3 scale WW1 model aircraft and other large scale models on your visit that would have been my mates and I from the Dawn Patrol.   We used to be there regularly in the early days before they got some relevant full-size aircraft of their own.   We really must make the effort when (if) we get back to some sort of normality to go back more often.

We had lots of fun there doing this and, on another occasion did some filming for a BBC WW1 Centenary documentary which was a re-hash/extension of a programme they did for the 50th anniversary.

Anyway, a remarkable story and place.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

But for an sheer aural abuse you can’t beat

So What? by Anti Nowhere League.

I haven’t got a copy of the above as the lyric is absolutely filthy, you ain’t gonna hear it on Smooth Radio.

Google it at your peril!

Youtube is your friend.....

And if that little number doesn't scare off prospective buyers then nothing will...

Thinking about it, if prospective buyers aren't put off by it then I most definitely don't want them living next door.... :scared:

24 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We had a powerline adapter for eldest PlayStation it cost £50 we got the plug through version. All you do is plug in the adapter near your router connect a Ethernet cable to adapter from router. And the where you want the next adapter plug it in and then Ethernet cable to the device you want to connect to press pair and hey presto. 

We now have a more powerful broadband 

Many thanks - so if the use of an ethernet cable is required then powerline adapters would be of no use, since I very much doubt that smart plugs have an ethernet socket (Bear's certainly don't).

In other news:

Tomorrow?  Hmmm, tricky.....still the G word to do (weeding - I HATE that bit), another coat of paint (that's ok), wash the towels (that's ok), wiring up a cooker dual outlet plate that arrived today (that's ok), see what else I can find (that's lots....) to go on the 'bay, Hermes are collecting a parcel sold on the 'bay (= fifteen quid into the kitchen fund)......

That'll do for starters. :smile_mini2:

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning All,

Firstly, thanks for your support for Lucy.  ...snip... I reckon much of what they sell is "anti-durian" type food (durian: smells awful, tastes divine; anti-durian: smells divine, tastes awful).  ...snip...

iD

Glad to hear about Lucy.

I always thought that taste and smell are closely related and most cases are almost the same: something that tastes like a orange smells like an orange.  One learns something every day; if not, then the day is a total loss.

Morning All,

...snip... It's a pity that the reputation of the Hamburger has been so sullied by all these various chains serving such poor quality 'burgers. A homemade, properly seasoned and grilled burger is truly a thing of delight.

Posters have mentioned Hardee's, as an impecunious graduate student a Hardee's Country Fried Steak Biscuit (a sort of savoury scone), was very much a treat, as was their sausage and egg biscuit. A quick Google found the current Hardee's breakfast menu https://www.hardees.com/Menu/Biscuits-and-Other-Favorites  which has expanded since I was a student. Sadly, after not having eaten one for over 10 years, a much anticipated Hardee's Country Fried Steak Biscuit eaten on a US business trip turned out to be incredibly salty. Whether due to the saltiness of the basic recipe, an accidentally over-salted batch of biscuits or a change in my taste buds, I have no clue. ...snip...

iD

Mmmmm, yes on the homemade burger!

I like the Hardee's sausage, egg, and cheese also but on a burger bun; I totally dislike biscuits.

Morning All,

...snip... Tuesday's ER conundrum: what train from film, comic book or novel would you model?

iD

For me, "The Little Engine That Could".

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I'm not an early riser, but this was the view from my bed at 5.45am today.

I am an early riser but sadly the only view this morning was of cloud cover totalling 8/8 of the sky.  Ah well.  Nice to see others got a view of things lunar.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

Many thanks - so if the use of an ethernet cable is required then powerline adapters would be of no use, since I very much doubt that smart plugs have an ethernet socket (Bear's certainly don't).

Some power line adapters also include a WiFi point for connecting WiFi devices to the extended network. I have never used one so can’t say how good or bad they are. However I have used the non WiFi power line adapters without problem, well without problems until it failed. They were used to connect any tv and audio devices to the house internet. I replaced them with Cat 7 (I had previously only known about Cat 6 cable) flat Ethernet cable. The whole house WiFi guarantee provided by my ISP (BT) doesn’t apply to gardens and outhouses. Works nicely on the patio though. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a dose of the hay fever this evening but it seems to have subsided.

59 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Stow Maries is a remarkable place.   If  you saw any 1/3 scale WW1 model aircraft and other large scale models on your visit that would have been my mates and I from the Dawn Patrol.   We used to be there regularly in the early days before they got some relevant full-size aircraft of their own.   We really must make the effort when (if) we get back to some sort of normality to go back more often.

We had lots of fun there doing this and, on another occasion did some filming for a BBC WW1 Centenary documentary which was a re-hash/extension of a programme they did for the 50th anniversary.

Anyway, a remarkable story and place.

Alan

I realise that it must be at least 10-11 years since I last visited as they hadn't built the hangers when I last visited. That was on the occasion of a fly in by a few appropriate aircraft including a replica Sopwith Camel. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't fitted with a rotary engine but I imagine that a working rotary are pretty hard to come by. At least the owner used Castrol R so that it smelt right. Hopefully it will be open later this year and I can visit. 

23 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

We got the news today that all being well Dad will be transferred to Whitchurch community hospital, which is just ten miles from here, tomorrow. When we went to see him at Ludlow on Sunday we had a long chat with the nurses there with the result that they agreed with our view that getting him to Whitchurch would be extremely beneficial to his mental health and thus his physical recovery. They therefore promised to do what they could to effect such a move and it looks as though they have been successful.

Dave

Great news Dave.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1