The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats the stuff, whats the best way to cut it?

I use a craft knife with the break off blades,  as you get a long straight blade. Work, not surprisingly, use a proper foam cutter, plus a Stanley knife for trimming.

Although for production items it arrives in partly cut big sheets and you just push out the unneeded pieces. Hence I get pieces up to 480mm  by 400 mm for free... Most are however 240mm by 300mm..

It comes in 10, 20, 30, 40mm thick varieties at work.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

.... I fear you may have missed my point, a jibe about the division of terminology North and South of the Watford Gap! I refer specifically to the distinction between 'lunch' and 'dinner'! A northern colleague has been with us at base for over a year (having already become betrothed to another colleague), so has moved 'down sarf'!...

Ah! Now I see....

It’s not only a North-South divide sort of thing, but also a class thing (at least in the UK) According to social class surveys the As, Bs and C1s usually refer to the midday meal as lunch and the evening meal as dinner (or supper depending upon the time eaten),  The other classes (and many northerners) refer to the mid-day meal as “dinner“ and evening meal as “tea”.  In contrast, most European languages have only one term to describe the mid-day meal and one term to describe the evening meal, so no one says - no matter their social class - that they will be having their abendessen (dinner) at midday (which is when, of course, one partakes of the mittagsessen).

1 hour ago, polybear said:

One of life's great crimes is the replacement of bottles of tommy sauce for those stupid - and very environmentally unfriendly - tiny plastic sachets that so many establishments take great pleasure in charging for :angry:

Rant over....

iD  is certainly old enough to remember those plastic, squeezy, tomatoes containing tomato ketchup in various eating establishments, especially in the Wimpy Bar (back when having a Wimpy was the height of gastronomic daring – so early 1960s.).

Apparently, these have been disappearing from the tables of extremely inexpensive eateries for reasons of “hygiene“. The fact that proprietors of said eating places could make a small fortune providing sachets of tomato sauce at a small cost as opposed providing it in a squeezy bottle for free, probably didn’t even cross their minds...

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Too right, sport, except that I do not eat Weetabix.  It reminds me of building materials and I prefer food.

Chris

If that is your preference, then it rules out 90% of modern British breakfasts (apparently, only a very, very, small percentage of Britain’s population manage to have a full English breakfast, or some semblance of a full English breakfast nowadays), relying instead on toast, marmalade and packaged cereals. Most cereals nowadays are basically sugar, fructose corn syrup and something carbohydratey to carry the sugars.

As for muesli, the less said the better. It may have (supposedly) been invented in Switzerland but as far as I am concerned I can think of better things to eat than a high fibre, colonic cleansing, bowel lacerating, bowl of farmyard sweepings (legend has it that, many, many years ago, some Swiss city slickers were having a walking holiday somewhere in the remote wilds of rural Switzerland and asked their B&B host to provide something “more healthy“ than the proposed eggs, ham and croissants. The B&B owner, a crafty farmer, took a handful of the mixed oats and grains destined for his livestock, chucked in some nuts that were hanging around and stirred in some yoghurt and a few berries that were going soft and served it to the city slickers. Thus, muesli was created....)

Finally, a happy birthday to Dave Hunt.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

that they will be having their abendessen (dinner) at midday (which is when, of course, one partakes of the mittagsessen).

To be honest the meal names are a bit of a giveaway for suggesting at what part of the day they are served!

• Like 10
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

And eating shredded wheat reminds Bear of a loofa....

I wouldn't know, I've never eaten a loofa! :mocking_mini:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

iD  is certainly old enough to remember those plastic, squeezy, tomatoes containing tomato ketchup in various eating establishments, especially in the Wimpy Bar (back when having a Wimpy was the height of gastronomic daring – so early 1960s.).

I used to love those because if you got hacked off with poor, or more likely lack of, service they were very handy for making a very satisfactory mess on the table before one walked out.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

Afternoon (or is it evening yet) all.

Been busy!

Think I've caught up and correctly rated, now time for a shower after much DIYing and some minor garden works.

Happy birthday Dave.

Until later......

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Started on the stock trays, first a dry run to check everything fits. I then worked out a construction sequence (dividers to base, then add ends and then sides). Then I got the glue out only to find it was a solid lump as air had got in. There wasn't much there anyway so I would have had to buy some more anyway. The cardboard box they came in is to be converted to another stock box as its just the right height and is held closed by two 'ear-flaps'. Now time for a muggatee.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s not only a North-South divide sort of thing, but also a class thing (at least in the UK) According to social class surveys the As, Bs and C1s usually refer to the midday meal as lunch and the evening meal as dinner (or supper depending upon the time eaten),  The other classes (and many northerners) refer to the mid-day meal as “dinner“ and evening meal as “tea”.  

And for those of us who refer to the midday(ish) meal as 'lunch' and the evening meal as 'tea'? I live in the North and fit in the ABC1 definition. Though I suppose that automatically puts me in the awkward * pile. 

Afternoon awl,

Nothing terribly interesting going on 'oop 'ere. The talk of pies reminds me of a certain well-known establishment in Skipton which had (has?) a good reputation for pork pies. I tried them soon after starting work in the town but the meat was very poor and the gelatine was scalding (sounded very like the Aussie pies earlier) so I was rather unimpressed. Second chance given, well, I confess to poisoning the fishes in the canal.

Assorted G-word activity earlier. It's very dry here, so the rear paws did not have to move very vigorously to kick up large clouds of dust. Rain predicted for later, though the TV people didn't sound very confident. More blooms out, including the first of our strawberry plants. 

I see I share a lack of musical ability with some ERs. Art, music and sport were my three worst subjects at secondary school (aka the Fun Factory, for obvious reasons). My cats looked like donkeys and my donkeys like giraffes. Though I could tell a 37's horn from a 47's horn, telling D from C was beyond me.  With any of the conventional games, 'utterly hopeless' would have been putting it kindly. Though strangely, when I tried hockey, I was rather good. Surprised everyone, including myself. I still have no idea why. 

And now time for tea...

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

apparently, only a very, very, small percentage of Britain’s population manage to have a full English breakfast

There have been so many things (and lives) this wretched virus has wrecked over the last year and a bit.  

One of the more minor irritations  has been the interruption of Sunday morning bimbles along the country lanes on my old AJS.   An essential element of said bimbles was the customary stopping off somewhere with friends for a "Bikers Breakfast" (a thinly disguised Full English)  and an hour or so of talking complete and utter nonsense putting the world to rights.

Please make it stop soon, I need more bacon and bimbles! 

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

That reminds me of the bridge at Battlesbridge. Though that isn't quite as long its even narrower. There is an old mill alongside that houses mainly small antique businesses but also a model railway purveyor.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gwiwer said:

Multiple Turdycurses.

Emails received more or less simultaneously tonight from Microsoft and Spotify alerting me to someone logging into my account in Colombia.  It wasn't me on the coffee run, honest.  

Cue re-set of passwords across everything and all devices.  More stuff to remember.  Another loser hopefully denied access to me.  

Sounds like a scam to me.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

iD  is certainly old enough to remember those plastic, squeezy, tomatoes containing tomato ketchup in various eating establishments

Dreadful things.  And those equally dreadful pale yellow bottles out of which might (on a good day) emerge Salad Cream - never mayonnaise - and which had a moulded design alleged to resemble celery.  The brown sauce ones were just a brown bottle if I remember correctly with a slightly uneven patch near the top intended to prevent ones hand slipping.

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

especially in the Wimpy Bar (back when having a Wimpy was the height of gastronomic daring – so early 1960s.).

Very daring.  A sausage with cuts halfway through allowing it to be circled around a burger or an egg was known as a Bender.  The favoured meal when we were treated (treated???) was the Bender Brunch.  

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Sounds like a scam to me.

Emails checked out to be from credible sources although no links were clicked just in case.  In any case there is no harm in occasional changing of all passwords.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gwiwer said:

In any case there is no harm in occasional changing of all passwords.  

Indeed, recommended. But I can't keep all the new passwords in my memory. So I would have to write them down which rather defeats the purpose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I've ordered a new remote for the TV set. Luckily brand new replacements are still available. The on/off switch didn't work unless you pressed it on the side and some of the other buttons are a bit 'soggy'. The set is now seven years old so I was quite pleased to find that replacement hand sets are still available.

• Like 16