The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Dave

Perhaps you could kidnap your Dad in a painless extraction from stalag luft 33?

I thought hospitals are there to help get people better? Fingees crossed he starts to improve soon.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Managed to do a GDB yesterday (I hope @grandadbobis ok by the way), sharp knife slipped on wet pepper into my thumb.. blood everywhere but various washing and disinfecting then the use of a big plaster sorted it out.

I have detected an interesting trait in our newish neighbours. The property is having all hedges removed and thenproperty is either being fenced in or walled in. Obviously they are very insecure. What it does mean is that their impactbon the environment is huge. This has been commented upon (as suggested by a local planner but not the one looking at this plan). Pah!

Today is cricket day. I am off to Collingham, herself is off to a team called "Carribean". Last time we visited their the scorer was smoking something herbal and drinking red stripe. I am sure she will have an interesting day.

Depending on the materials used a "lidded" pie is acceptable.. some fish pies only have lids.. star gazy pie anyone? Meat and tatty pie with only a lid is also very acceptable (but it must be a deep dish lidded pie)..

Time to ..drink my tea and sort Saturday out.

Y

Positive thoughts to all!

Baz

You may be correct about your neighbours being insecure but also I would suspect that vegetation needs maintenance whereas plastic grass and fences need very little. In passing it is Interesting to note that where aforesaid plastic greenery has been laid that it is assumed that nothing needs to be done to maintain it. One wonders whether when they e purchased it anybody bother to explain that even plastic deteriorates.

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

What Bear doesn't understand is how private prosecutions ended in prison time - I thought such actions were limited to recompense such as damages etc. rather than getting people banged up?

:laugh:

LDC.  Could be a winner; you read it here first....

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

In response to your query about prison time I would suspect that it is in response to the amount lost I.e the bigger the pile the more severe the punishment.

One interesting fact, so I understand, is that any private individual can bring a prosecution against another. Perhaps our more legal minded contributors could confirm this?

To answer both I'll try and be brief. There are 2 forms of 'private' prosecutions, one is by private individuals. These can be taken over and stopped by the DPP in the public interest.  The other type is by government  departments, and some charities thst have their own investigation and prosecution departments, such as the Department of Work and Pensions for benefit fraud, as well as the Post Office, which used to be a Govt. Department. The DPP isn't involved in those and they are unregulated apart from having to follow the rules of evidence.  

The eventual sentence for all such prosecutions is fixed by the law under which the charge is made. Most of the Post Office cases were brought under various sections of the Theft Act and each section has a defined maximum, eg 7 years for theft, life for aggravated burglary etc. I can't remember  what the sections that deal with what we call fraud carry.

Hope this makes sense.

Now off to put oil on tables and chairs after a delightful  hour chatting to Emily and her mums.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Good Morning,

Just trying to decide which departure from home railway station to my local metropolis will best fit the amount of shopping required with the minimum of wasted time hanging around for the return train! At least there are two trains per hour whereas on Sunday, there is just the one each way (unless there is a bustitution service operating from said metropolis!) Typically, on Sundays, arrive metropolis xx:17, depart xx:31; 14 minutes to shop!

In previous news, may I offer another case for the reinstating of the groan button:

12 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Bother.

And bother again.  

I hope things don't happen in threes.

Dr.  SWMBO sat down on the outside chair - one of those cast aluminium "Coalbrookdale" type things - and its front nearside leg gave way.  Just a gentle easing down, nothing too dramatic, but that's the second of two which have done that in recent years meaning replacments need to be sourced.  Not at £185 each though, which is the price of new-for-old lookalikes to match the table.  

Not two hours later I felt something shift whilst in the beach chair on the lawn drinking with Former Neighbour (Next Door).  The fabric has torn from the metal bar rendering a second chair useless in the same afternoon.  A replacement is a mere £29 in this case.  

Next????? :O :fie:

Three chairs for Rick; Hip Hip ...

Hat, coat, now where's that train?

• Like 6
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

‘ morning all from red dragon land. 

It was lovely and warm, yesterday, so I took advantage of it and removed the bubble wrap and dead fronds from the tree fern and baby tree fern. There is a some new growth so hopefully they will do well this year. 

I found out late in the day that it is Time to VOTE for the Cake Box Challenge entries all because I did not think to refresh the main page. Hmm.

Many thanks if you VOTE for this ER’s entry (The Cob, last but one on the list) but, I warn you, the  models are brilliant and I feel honoured to be among them.

You can VOTE

via Phil Parker’s thread on RMweb

or

direct via World of Railways

Polly

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Pies, pork pies in particular are food of the god's. Mind you it has to be a properly made one and not over seasoned unlike some of the factory made ones you get in the supermarkets. I have also known those without a pastry base as pot pies and IIRC they were made in WW2 due to shortages and rationing as most of our flour and wheat was imported. I remember my mother and grandmothers having a ceramic device that looked like an eggcup but without a base and a hollow stem and two cut outs in the rim. This was placed stem uppermost in the baking dish, the meat and then the pastry top was added leaving just a little of the stem showing. This allowed the steam to escape and the pies contents from overflowing in the oven. They were also used on things such cottage pie or suet puddings with a 'soft' topping which doesn't have a pastry base.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Many thanks if you VOTE for this ER’s entry (The Cob, last but one on the list) ......

Perhaps a sweetener (in the form of LDC) may assist in Bear's decision...tricky process, voting.....

In other news:

Well it seems that Bear's Smart Plug located in the shed now likes to work once more, now that yesterday's fun involving changing the Router frequency to 2.4GHz has been carried out - an unexpected bonus.  So Bear's Water Feature can once more be controlled remotely :yahoo:

The Police must wonder why they bother:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56853979

And as for this lot:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56843329

"Despite HSBC's pledge to shrink its carbon footprint to net-zero by 2050, their current climate plan still allows the bank to finance coal power, and provides no basis to turn away clients or cancel contracts based on links to the fossil fuel industry," XR said.

I guess thinking about the amount of energy required to manufacture, deliver and fit 19+ bl00dy great windows is way, way above the computing power of their one shared brain cell.  No doubt they'll walk too....

Finally, go carefully out there - you wouldn't want to catch the wrong train by mistake:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-56846467

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

....LDC.  Could be a winner; you read it here first....

You may be onto something here, Bear!

Of course, it would be foolish to just stick a LDC into a pastry shell and bake it, but the ingredients of a LDC could well be used and baked inside a sweet pastry cost. I will have to investigate and do a few trial runs.

2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Pie = pastry all round; simples.

To reply to iD, the pie is the filling* ......

4a62a91bad4c9ede66dce06df415bbf2.jpg

From t' wrong side o' t'hills - obviously :D

* Known in them parts as a Wigan kebab

Are we to assume, by this candid and self revelatory photograph, that you:

• are Not gluten intolerant
  • are Not diabetic
  • are as skinny as a rake
  • Have a metabolism that burns through calories like Concorde burning through aviation fuel on take off

Enquiring minds need to be told!

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

.... a "lidded" pie is acceptable.. some fish pies only have lids.. star gazy pie anyone? Meat and tatty pie with only a lid is also very acceptable (but it must be a deep dish lidded pie).....

Heresy! Blasphemy! Apostasy!
(and I bet you eat quiche as well) :jester:

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

....A very important aspect of a good pie is that the pastry has to be thin; thick, stodgy pastry spoils it for me...

That is probably the most crucial aspect of building a pie: the thickness of the pastry. You don’t want it so thin that it is unable to contain the filling, nor do you want it so thick that is it either as stodgy as a jacket potato sandwich or thick enough to be used as an offensive missile.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

I like this idea of a lemon drizzle cake mix inside a pastry crust. Not so unlike a pear and almond tart which is one of my favourites. Apart from great flavours, the mix of textures is so satisfying.

Talking of which, finely ground almonds "flour" is a great substitute to use for gluten-intolerant and diabetics. Expensive in small bags in the supermarkets but available quite cheaply in big bags in cash-and-carry stores such as Bookers.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 hours ago, brianusa said:

We get an Australian 'delicacy' called Aussie pies.  Not bad at all for a few dollars and an easy lunch.  Basically a meat and potato pie with some onion and seasoning.

Brian.

Unlike blooming onions and Foster's, meat pies actually are consumed here but to be an actual Aussie pie it has  to be a million degrees Celsius and be runny enough that meaty gravy runs down onto the webbing between your fingers and gives you burns that require skin grafts.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone

It's a beautiful sunny day here in England's northwest. Up late again this morning, so straight out side to do some work in the garden.

Currently sat on the bench under the workshop window having a well earned muggertea. 

The plan is to re-site the water butt so that it's easier to access, I'll then build a compost heap where the water butt used to be. A start has been made on a new base, but there's still a lot more to be done yet. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later.

Brian 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all

The sun is shining and it's time I went for my morning walk.

I know it's past twelve but for me it's morning till I get lunch. I should perhaps say Good Noontime.

Interesting to see the Downing St. rats trying to tear one another's throats out. As I've thought many times before: with the quality of politicians like these thank goodness for the quality of Britain's scientists!   

Have a good day y'all.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That sounds nice. Tarte Tatin was invented too far north to be made with apricots but it sounds like a good variant. Plum would be nice too.

How far north? Aditi’s Dad grew apricots slightly north of the River Trent. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Tony_S said:

How far north. Aditi’s Dad grew apricots slightly north of the River Trent. 

As a commercial crop???

Tarte Tatin was first invented at Lamotte-Beuvron, a bit south of Orleans. Commercial apricot growing in France is mostly in the deep south around Rivesaltes.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

As a commercial crop???

Tarte Tatin was first invented at Lamotte-Beuvron, a bit south of Orleans. Commercial apricot growing in France is mostly in the deep south around Rivesaltes.

Not as a commercial crop. He just liked growing stuff. Before he became a doctor his first degree was in botany. The nearest he came to commercial was swapping some of his vegetables for bananas with a local corner shop. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That sounds nice. Tarte Tatin was invented too far north to be made with apricots but it sounds like a good variant. Plum would be nice too.

In Germany's Black Forest a local delicacy is an open tart made with plums similar to a Tarte Tatin. Another one is baked red cabbage which also originated in the region. Black Forest Gateau is more recent only dating back to the early 20th century

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In Germany's Black Forest a local delicacy is an open tart made with plums similar to a Tarte Tatin. Another one is baked red cabbage which also originated in the region. Black Forest Gateau is more recent only dating back to the early 20th century

I thought that BFG had been invented by Berni Inns, or perhaps Bejam.

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

Good After Noon,

Time of the day is both relative and precise!

31 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Morning all

The sun is shining and it's time I went for my morning walk.

I know it's past twelve but for me it's morning till I get lunch. I should perhaps say Good Noontime.

Interesting to see the Downing St. rats trying to tear one another's throats out. As I've thought many times before: with the quality of politicians like these thank goodness for the quality of Britain's scientists!   

Have a good day y'all.

Lunch (or dinner for our Northern friends [I wonder how many of such 'Dress for Dinner'? ;) ]) is a relative event occurring roughly around the middle of the day.

Noon is defined as 12:00:00, so whilst it may still be considered as Morning because Lunch has not been taken, 12:00:01 is still After Noon!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Unlike blooming onions and Foster's, meat pies actually are consumed here but to be an actual Aussie pie it has  to be a million degrees Celsius and be runny enough that meaty gravy runs down onto the webbing between your fingers and gives you burns that require skin grafts.

Reminds me of a football match I went to when standing was allowed. Barnsley scored and the bloke behind me was pushed forward and he splattered his red hot pork pie on my back. Got juice all down the back of my coat. During the evening the jelly solidified. Nice.

• Friendly/supportive 15