The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. My dad held the highest regard for the Gurkhas having served alongside them in Burma. He ended up at Imphal where the Japanese had surrounded the Allies. At night the Japanese tried to infiltrate the perimeter but that was protected by the Gurkhas who used to go into the jungle at sunset and come back in the morning with several pairs of ears each.

That reminded me of a story I was told. Many Australian Aboriginals were also cannibals. There were also many Chinese labourers imported during the early years when Australia was opening up. It was said that the cannibals preferred the Chinese to the Europeans as their meat tasted sweeter.

Brings a whole new meaning to going out for a Chinese 

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

My eldest has opened my eyes this afternoon. We were on about this abandoned super duper football league. He is a Man Utd fan much to my chagrin but there we go. We ended up talking about Golf and Jesper Parnavik (i think) antagonising the alligators. He asked if i had ever watched Ladies Golf. I had seen it years ago played by women built like East German female shotputters. He showed me You tube clips of Paige Spiraniac and some Chinese lady golfers its enough to send you blind

Beautiful

• Funny 10

1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

Paige Spiraniac

Known more for <social media platform du jour> than LPGA leader boards.

From her Wikipedia page:

Spiranac first played professionally in December 2015, joined the developmental Cactus Tour in May 2016, earning a win in June at Scottsdale's Orange Tree Country Club. In August, Spiranac failed in her attempt to qualify for a card to play on the professional LPGA circuit, and she retired from professional golf in December 2016.

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

He showed me You tube clips of Paige Spiraniac and some Chinese lady golfers its enough to send you blind

Beautiful

Beer BEar iz Stugle STrelging stvhhinG carnt zee Zer KEEboooooooooooooooord veRRy wel........

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I seem to recall something similar being reported several years ago. It was along the lines that an employee left and his departure not being reported so that his wages etc could be shared out.

I seem to remember  that there were similar stories about printers in Fleet Street pre Wapping. Many of the names on the payroll had not been seen for years.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I seem to recall something similar being reported several years ago. It was along the lines that an employee left and his departure not being reported so that his wages etc could be shared out.

Apparently there was a similar case at Bear's first work location (until the Grown-Ups shut the wrong site.....:angry:) - by all accounts he lived very close to the site, so would come in every day, unlock his desk and put some papers etc. on the desk; cup of tea, be seen by one or two people, put his overalls on then proceed to go to another part of the site "working" on whatever he was doing.  In practice he was going home for the day; he'd come back about half an hour before finishing time, cup of tea & be seen by one or two, put his papers away & lock his desk and then clock out.  Went on for years, apparently.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, polybear said:

by all accounts he lived very close to the site, so would come in every day, unlock his desk and put some papers etc. on the desk; cup of tea, be seen by one or two people, put his overalls on then proceed to go to another part of the site "working" on whatever he was doing.  In practice he was going home for the day; he'd come back about half an hour before finishing time, cup of tea & be seen by one or two, put his papers away & lock his desk and then clock out.  Went on for years, apparently.

Milton in Office Space

Bob Porter: I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it; but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.

Bob Slydell: So we just went ahead and fixed the glitch.

And the Swingline stapler is a superior product. Sadly I have a pair of braces exactly like the ones worn by Bob Slydell. They were very comfortable. Unfortunately (after many years of use) whatever was used to colour the leather deteriorated and began to stain my shirts.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Out of curiosity, later in the afternoon, I sat and planned the cable run for the 14 down-lighters. If I wire them in a zig-zag pattern, I’d use 3ft more cable than if I’d wire them in a spiral pattern! Also an anti clockwise pattern uses more cable than clockwise pattern!

Obviously got too much time on your hands.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. 

There was a person in one of our departments on the council who used to claim overtime which he hadn't worked. He got away with it for years as he was his boss's 'blue eyed boy'. Then his boss took early retirement and the new boss who was on site when he was supposedly doing overtime and knew he hadn't done any overtime so he refused to sign the overtime sheets. Then the idiot complained and it was discovered that he'd been claiming overtime that he hadn't done for years. He wasn't prosecuted because it would have opened a can of worms but he was quietly ordered to resign. He was a nasty bit of work anyway and everyone was glad to see the back of him.

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I seem to remember  that there were similar stories about printers in Fleet Street pre Wapping. Many of the names on the payroll had not been seen for years.

Jamie

Very true, there was a printer who used to come into a working mans club in Romford, stay till closing time getting very drunk the drive to Fleet Street and get there sign on and then go and sleep it off until knocking off time. Until one night he was stopped and breathalysed. He wasn't sacked but the drink got him within a year.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5