The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Jamie,  I am not beating myself up about the man now convicted.  The police have thanked me for helping them to put him behind bars.  Where I find fault with myself is in not reporting the offence.  What if the vigilant young man on the CCTV had not been watching the crime unfold?  If his other victims had been equally lily-livered he might still be at large.

Chris 

Sorry if I'd misunderstood  your post Chris.  That's the fault of me reading too fast before the coffee has worked.  Not wanting to report is actually very common.  

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, polybear said:

p.s. Double bl00dy hell - it's 0900 and Bear STILL isn't dressed.....you lot are leading Bear into bad habits....

I have been watching Slovenian bears on Facebook. They aren’t doing much at the moment, or perhaps they are avoiding the web cam. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bit dull today and a little cooler too, not that it’ll make much difference to what I’m doing though. Last day at the coal face and hopefully tomorrow will be a cleaning up day. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. For bears information I was dressed before nine, but only just. I have a few bits for the scrap man, who usually drives slowly around the estate ringing his bell. Just heard the bell but by the time I'd got to the door he'd gone past, drat! I won't leave the items out as there are members of the travelling community about.

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Speaking of CCTV have you checked out the koala cam at the Lone Pine Sanctuary? Ultimate slow TV, nothing happens until you nick off to get a cup of tea, come back and find they've moved..

Its now night time on the other side of the world but you can see two koala's fast asleep one showing their posterior to the camera. Might have to delay my shopping trip today as DHL have informed me that they are delivering a parcel at the time I usually shop. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/04/2021 at 22:49, Barry O said:

@Erichill16..wold top brewery do a nice gluten free beer..as recommended by one of the Boggle group. We are hoping to have a Bogfall get together in September..a week of walking, eating , drinking etc  in Robin Hoods Bay...fingers crossed it all goes ok.

Baz

Thanks for that, Ive tried their “Scarborough Fair” but they do another one. Not that easy to get down here but Cannon Hall farm shop does stock Wold Top but its alway crowded there.

Robert

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

When we were in Stresa there were some evening meals served on the hotel terrace.The hotel had a uniformed and armed guard to deter sellers of souvenirs and sad stories. The guard must have been in his 70s and was a bit stooped but his uniform was immaculate. Unlike other guards he didn't have an automatic pistol he had an enormous revolver. 
Tony

Bear has been to Sir William McAlpine's excellent Steam Open Days at Fawley Hill (his home, or was) a couple of times (sadly unlikely to occur again since his death).  Security was handled by retired Gurkha's - most looked in their 70's -or older - yet they had an aura of "don't mess with me, sonny, cause you will regret it"; they were the nicest, friendliest guys though.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. For bears information I was dressed before nine, but only just. I have a few bits for the scrap man, who usually drives slowly around the estate ringing his bell. Just heard the bell but by the time I'd got to the door he'd gone past, drat! I won't leave the items out as there are members of the travelling community about.

Is not the scrappie also a traveller though?

54 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The queue situation wasn't as bad as Tony experienced but there was a lack of social distancing on the part of some participants and the amusement of a bloke standing immediately outside the door who called his wife to join him as soon as the door was opened - and they were left standing there as four other individuals or couples were called in before them, all of whom had to get past them.  

Bear encountered a situation whereby someone invited Bear to go before him once, but lived to regret it.  He was trying to position himself to be next to a window in a Helicopter Underwater Escape Training Course, and he wanted to be first out.  But rescue divers are no dummies and they clocked what was happening, so Bear went out as No. 3 (which was plenty long enough I can tell you) and he went out as No. 6.....:laugh:

54 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sick squid for a sausage roll strikes me as daylight robbery

:O

Not to mention the same for a ham n' cheese toastie on the kids' menu.

Bear is used to a big Full English with tea n' toast thrown in for that kinda money.  Or rather, was used to it.....C-19 means such delicacies haven't been so much as seen or sniffed for over a year.....:cry:

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On the BBC TV Lunchtime news they mentioned the scramble for people to return from India; they also mention that from 25th March to 7th April some 3000 people arrived from India, with 1 in 20 (5%) testing positive for Covid.  So some bright spark gives four day's notice before the drawbridge is raised :banghead:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

o some bright spark gives four day's notice before the drawbridge is raised

I suspect most of the people travelling to the UK from India at the moment are British citizens or have right of residence so the main difference after Friday morning is that they will have to quarantine in an approved hotel rather than at home. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have been watching Slovenian bears on Facebook. They aren’t doing much at the moment, or perhaps they are avoiding the web cam. 

Mrs Lurker has been watching those too. She saw some appear at the weekend. Or may be they were excerpts that had been collected.

She is a big fan of bears. That is one of the reasons we "need" to go back to Canada. Boo the Bear at Golden stayed out of sight on the warm sunny day we were there. This time she wants to do a bear lodge/grizzly type watching thing. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Lurker said:

Mrs Lurker has been watching those too

Having visited Slovenia a few years ago for a brief summer holiday I get various Slovenian travel posts on Facebook. Slovenian Bears Live Webcam appeared recently. There are lots of photos. They look rather healthy bears!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I suspect most of the people travelling to the UK from India at the moment are British citizens or have right of residence so the main difference after Friday morning is that they will have to quarantine in an approved hotel rather than at home. 

True - which surely is much better as there is very little chance of not abiding by the rules, which is a real risk when trusting people to "do the right thing" in their own home, surely?

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

Good afternoon!

A lot cooler today here in the Midlands, which is a shame as I've somewhat become a little accustomed to the warmer weather.

Made me think when the last time we had rain was though.  I couldn't actually say.

Although a weather man on the radio was saying a dry April usually means a wet summer, naming 2007 and 2011 as two years where this pattern came true.

Had a relaxing morning before work and have lined up a job for tomorrow morning, which hopefully won't take too long.

Hope everyone is keeping well!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, polybear said:

True - which surely is much better as there is very little chance of not abiding by the rules, which is a real risk when trusting people to "do the right thing" in their own home, surely?

I suspect the main concern is people flying via a third country not on the red list and not telling the truth about the red list country. It is probably much harder now though to be deceitful. Aditi was surprised India wasn’t red listed earlier when Pakistan and Bangladesh were. I suspect politics. Aditi’s relatives all seem to have had a first dose of vaccine and are waiting for their second.  The main one they get is a licensed version of the Astra Zeneca product. 
Tony

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10