The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Yes a Professor Tooth wangler who makes very nice scale models of items which run on invisible to normal eyes tracks.. I first met him when he was nowt but a lad...

Naz

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, polybear said:

Airfares start  around $400 return, not sure how that is compared before all this so I can't say if they are pricing it low to get business back, or high to recoup losses.

Just like car rentals.  Apparently due to slow business due to covid, they got rid of a lot of cars so consequently they are hard to get now and much more expensive.  At least over here!

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good Evening,

Just managed to scan today's posts as my eyes are still (physically) watering after two days! Advice is being souht!

However,

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

One thing with HS2, is it's not Boris's vanity project, nor Mays, Nor Camerons , Not even Browns.. It dates back to the Blair.. If they built railways at the speed we do now, back in the 1830's, I think the first line from London to Manchester might just be being finished. They could build a line using a pick and shovel faster, than all the machinery we have now..

And Polytix (although I should not mention that here!)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

The BBC Mancunychester Look Norf obviously have a mole on here (Winslow suspected)  as there was a positive IoM report this evening - about 'Becki Cruel' aka Becky Flint away from the Toob of You.  Included in the list of something or other for young business people.  I used to work with her dad who was a Police Inspector. Decent bloke.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, BSW01 said:

As for me, I’ll be back down in what Sheila calls ‘Middle Earth’ removing some more of the cellar ceiling.

At least Midgard is preferable to realm of Hel / Helheim in the roots of Yggdrasil.

Do you ascend back to Asgard via the Bilröst (rainbow bridge)?

Do watch out for Jörmungandr in the encircling sea.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

And Polytix (although I should not mention that here!)

Bear was half-way thru' typing Polytix into Google when I finally twigged....:banghead:

57 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Well its happening, Chelsea have just announced that they're pulling out of the proposed 'super' league.

Rumour has it that Mun U are getting twitchy too...

In other news:

Bear has tested the LDC offering from Home Bargains.  Whilst more than edible, it's basically a slab of mild lemony flavour sponge cake with a thin icing coating on top.  The Co-op has nothing to worry about....

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ingenuity is just the stupid name they have given to the helicopter, so they are really just saying,  "helicopters name" project manager..

Indeed.

But is "Ingenuity" really a stupid name? Is building a rotorcraft to fly in 37% of earth's gravity and dramatically less atmospheric pressure (0.6%) insufficiently ingenious to be worthy of the name? Apparently the rotor blades rotate at 2,537 rpm to develop enough lift - about five times that of terrestrial rotorcraft.

At least it's not "Copter McCopter Face".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Indeed.

But is "Ingenuity" really a stupid name? Is building a rotorcraft to fly in 37% of earth's gravity and dramatically less atmospheric pressure (0.6%) insufficiently ingenious to be worthy of the name? Apparently the rotor blades rotate at 2,537 rpm to develop enough lift - about five times that of terrestrial rotorcraft.

A total waste of money!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The European super league is being scrapped. Barca and Atletico have also pulled out, good job too. All those billionaire club owners should look on the bright side, there won't be so much money for them to count.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 5

On 19/04/2021 at 20:16, simontaylor484 said:

@Sir TophamHatt you could get a signal booster that plugs in to the mains and the back of your tv so the ladders dont need to come out.

@polybearScrewfix  and Toolstation seperate their tools in to hand and power tools that could be why the non electric saw does not show up

I thought about this but didn't want something else powered.
That was after I bought all the kit to do it!

On 19/04/2021 at 19:29, PhilJ W said:

You could always fit a booster to the aerial. I had one until I went over to cable. Only down about one is it is fitted to the aerial and would mean getting the ladders out again to fit one.

I could potentially fit it in the loft as the new aerial comes in and then joins to another cable, which goes down into the wall downstairs.

I bought the kit (fused spur, plug socket, back boxes) to convert a spare twin and earth cable for powered operation but didn't bother in the end.

On 19/04/2021 at 19:51, Coombe Barton said:

Waltham on the Wolds transmitter was always problematic west of Victoria Park. I guess that you're on the west of Leicester. 

Indeed, by quite a fair bit.
Despite being in the catchment area for it :confused:

So to finally finish this off...

Flattened the aerial so it wasn't pointing up any more.  Retuned and got ~70 channels.

Turned it to the left a little.  Retuned and got ~50 channels.
Turned it a little to the right.  Retuned and got ~70 channels again.
Turned a bit more to the right.  Retuned and got ~40 channels.

Took aerial down, turned it round on the bracket and mounted it towards Sutton Coldfield.  Retuned and got 96 channels.

I don't have any more time to devote to this so West Midlands local news it is.
To be fair, we can always change back to freesat and watch the East Mids news if we REALLY want but I suspect we won't miss it.

Learnt a lot through it all though and probably worked off a 10th of a pizza slice!

Now on to more pressing matters - repotting sunflowers and veg!

From large metal devices to dainty fragile plants.  Two ends of some sort of scale!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Sounds very promising if it proves successful:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56823627

SWMBO has been involved in conducting the trials of this (or similar) medication. Bit of a downside is that it involves regular contact with Covid Positive candidates, lots of ppe and cleansing needed.

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Flattened the aerial so it wasn't pointing up any more.  Retuned and got ~70 channels.

Turned it to the left a little.  Retuned and got ~50 channels.
Turned it a little to the right.  Retuned and got ~70 channels again.
Turned a bit more to the right.  Retuned and got ~40 channels.

Took aerial down, turned it round on the bracket and mounted it towards Sutton Coldfield.  Retuned and got 96 channels.

I don't have any more time to devote to this so West Midlands local news it is.
To be fair, we can always change back to freesat and watch the East Mids news if we REALLY want but I suspect we won't miss it.

Been there, done that; South Derbyshire has a similar problem. I too have to watch Yam Yam news :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2