The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

30 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I have one more trick to try and if it's still unreliable then looks like I'm gonna have to turn the aerial the opposite way round and receive West Midlands transmissions :(

Waltham on the Wolds transmitter was always problematic west of Victoria Park. I guess that you're on the west of Leicester. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

ZERO first thing with a couple of meaningless snow flurries, high to reach 5 later with cloudy skies all day.

We had record high temperatures on Saturday - summer-like high temperatures around 29°C all weekend. Slightly cooler today, but no precipitation forecast until next weekend. It's stunningly lovely weather for April.

Meanwhile the in the Rockies, (a decidedly more southerly latitude from here) it is snowing with record cold forecast for much of the country.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 12

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Moanday...

Generally a good weekend was had, though "to-do's" managed to invade the little free time I was hoping for. All good in the end though.

Saturday saw us sort out various objects of interest the Mrs deemed needed "organizing", also hanging of a picture by a local artist that the Mrs wanted and was therefore secured as an early Mothers Day gift.

Had an exceptional dinner and game afternoon/evening with Trevor and Meagan - Mexican Train being the game of choice for the evening. I was an early leader then failed :O

Sunday the bicycles were retrieved from their winter hanging position in the garage, oiled/greased and initial forays attempted. Unfortunately the Mrs bike had a brake break so we had to return and I'm now in search of an open bike shop to obtain replacement parts.

Today, with closing arguments in the George Floyd case being presented as I write, we will grocery shop this afternoon for an impending siege possibility. :(

The streets of Minneapolis and some inner suburbs are starting to resemble Fallujah rather than a quiet upper mid-western city.

Possibly/probably some curfews will be in place the next few days, we will be listening for that information.

ZERO first thing with a couple of meaningless snow flurries, high to reach 5 later with cloudy skies all day.

Stay safe.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You’ve been done, son. No change from SFr 50 (not £50) would be not unreasonable, Having said that, near the Eiger SFr60 (£50) for two isn’t too unreasonable (but see below)

iD

I knew when I saw the menu but the visit was part of the daily itinerary and due to my diet it wasn’t worth trying to find somewhere else. We had planned to use the restaurant a couple of times due to its reputation regarding GF food but we soon made alternative arrangements. I thought it was a little strange as the staff hadn’t heard of gluten free beer, there’s quite a choice here in the uk.

Actually I should have typed ‘with a view of the Eiger’ rather than ‘near’.

Robert

• Friendly/supportive 17

3 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I thought it was a little strange as the staff hadn’t heard of gluten free beer

Is there a GF beer that comports with Reinheitsgebot* (barley, hops and water)? I presume not.

* Yes, I know this is German and not Swiss.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, southern42 said:

Just been informed that my Cakebox Challenge Entry now has its competition webpage:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/information/brm-cake-box-challenge-2021-the-cob?openPageId=26797249-8bb1-4995-8cb2-e08bef35fa75

Link to all entries is at the bottom of the page.  Really worth a look!

Polly

Must dash - mugadecaf and crumpets time.

Very nice; just one question though.....Who on earth recons that a "standard" cake box only measures 8" square?  A custard cream is bigger than that....

image.png.95d5c9bcfdb9b070bef730893bc1f87d.png

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Tell me about it - back in my outpatients department manager days it was a very rare thing indeed, despite making over 49,000 appointments a year.   Our service level agreement was for 35,000 BTW - just think about that one for a while, those who criticise the NHS staff.

Bear ensured that sincere thanks were given to the GP at the Vets for the excellent (and very fast) service Bear received just prior to chrimbo - the symptoms and test results suggested that "getting a move on" was indeed A Very Good Idea - and they did.  Fortunately it came to nothing, thankfully - but it could very easily have gone the other way (in fact the GP had suggested I return the seat to the upright position, fold the tray away, tighten the seat belt and brace for impact...).  So thanks were indeed due.

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I find myself frustrated by those who coopt peaceful protest for a genuine cause as a pretext for street violence and provocative lawlessness - as distinct from those who are so angry they don't make good choices.

Including the sudden increase in those members of the population who feel a sudden need to go shopping for a 60" HD TV at 3am....

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

No longer will we listen or watch the many instances such as this that seem to dominate our airwaves.  The Capitol riots did it in for us along with subsequent unrest and disruption.  Its almost got to the point of see one, see 'em all!  Same goes for all the gun violence which seems to get worse each time.  Only in America!

Brian.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

15 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is there a GF beer that comports with Reinheitsgebot* (barley, hops and water)? I presume not.

* Yes, I know this is German and not Swiss.

I’m not sure. When in Berlin a couple of years ago I did manage to get some German GF beer but can’t remember it’s name, certainly not one I’d heard of. I’ve not seen any gluten free beers in Switzerland but only every shop in supermarkets and buy from hotel/restaurant bars. It’s slightly odd as I believe Italy caters well for people with a gluten intolerance so thought a pizza restaurant in Switzerland would be at least aware of GF beer.

At the moment I’m drinking Peroni GF which contains water,barley,maize and hops. Barley contains gluten so the gluten must be removed in the process somewhere. As well as Peroni there’s also Estrella Damm and San Miguel available as well as a couple of bitters.

Robert.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

Evening All,

Not a particularly productive day here. Went with SWMBO and Mil to do the weekly shopping but not at a proper supermarket. In the afternoon,after an hour making some phone call that should only have taken 10minutes, I polished a turd. 
On a positive note I received a book I’d ordered a couple of day ago.

’Brutal Bloc Post Cards’, ‘a collection of Soviet era postcards documenting the brutal landscapes of the Eastern Bloc through its buildings and monuments.’ I may have a quick look at it. 
Early start tomorrow as we’re in charge of the nephews and Sydney  so I bid you  Goodnight. 

Robert 

• Like 17

Evenin' folks.

I think I'm failing the ER bit of this thread......

Wil try and make a post tomorrow morning, that's if work doesn't get in the way (again).

On a separate note @andyram seems to have been in absentia for a while, hope you're ok mate!

Stay safe, sleep well and stay sane.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 12
  • Agree 6

Speaking of The Prisoner we're now allowed off the island even if it is only to New Zealand to mock  them when they say Fush And Chups.  The first of our travel bubbles, some of the other Pacific nations might come next since many of them avoided covid.

The rest of the world is currently looking iffy until 2024 apparently, I guess we'll all be getting a bit sick of Pacific Island holidays by then.

Airfares start  around $400 return, not sure how that is compared before all this so I can't say if they are pricing it low to get business back, or high to recoup losses. Just converting that to pounds is a bit  meaningless given difference in cost of living  and wages so as a comparison that's about a quarter average weekly earnings here so based on that it would be 190 pounds return.

kia ora.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15

3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

if you can improve the gain on the aerial that is a different matter but indoor boosters, he explained, won't really help if you're getting a patchy or weak signal in the first place.

Generally I would agree.

I had a situation with a television where adding a pre-amplifier made all the difference. In this case I suspect that the signal conditioning pre-amp inside the TV was damaged during a thunderstorm. We took it to a nearby TV repair shop* where, connecting it to their antenna with a strong signal, they could not diagnose a problem. Adding an external amplifier, that television worked fine for years whether connected to an antenna or cable TV. It didn't work without it.

* This was probably more than 25 years ago when such a thing existed. Even then they were becoming rare.

Different situation when only some signals can be tuned.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2