The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I think Bear's record is about 30 minutes continuously, about as fast as I can....

I employed a new tactic that helped increase my chances;  I used both my landline and mobile on redial.     If I recall it took something like 31 landline and 10 mobile re-dials to get through from "Sorry the surgery is closed" until "I'll just pop you on hold for a moment" (make that 5 minutes).   Still it worked and I did get a telephone appointment.

Which reminds me, has the definition of an appointment changed recently?    I was always led to believe an appointment specified a time and a place for a meeting etc but these days  "Tuesday between 9:00am and 6:00pm" seems to be tight enough for a Doctor's appointment.    Is it me?

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

21 hours ago, polybear said:

I also saw much of HRH's funeral, which I thought was rather well done.  One thought did strike me - on a day which must've been one of (if not the) hardest of the Royal Family's lives, not only did they have the loss and the ceremony to contend with, they also had to suffer probably 100+ Million people watching their every move live on telly. 

After all these years they can handle it!

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

February 2020 SWMBO and myself had a medium pizza and soft drink each with a view of the Eiger. No change from £50.

Restaurant was in a nice location, but not on the main tourist drag, mainly locals using it. Ambiance was ok similar to a diner but did few slightly stained as we were the only non locals.

HOW MUCH????  Hang on - that should actually read:

HOW MUCH????

:O

16 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Which reminds me, has the definition of an appointment changed recently?    I was always led to believe an appointment specified a time and a place for a meeting etc but these days  "Tuesday between 9:00am and 6:00pm" seems to be tight enough for a Doctor's appointment.    Is it me?

Tis' common for Bear's Vet (actually one of the guards) to quote am or pm fone call......though in Bear's experience an am appointment can become a pm one, though I don't mention this for fear of being struck off....

Actually I quite like the fone call set-up - it beats traipsing down the road for a physical appointment unless you really have to.  It means I can crack on with much more useful things; of course there is always the risk that the Vet will say at the end of the call "I need to see you in 15 minutes" which is kinda tricky when you're in the middle of wallpapering or have a load of expensive tools out in the back garden........

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

the Vet will say at the end of the call "I need to see you in 15 minutes"

Now that is a completely fictitious concept with my Vet these days.   

Indeed I'd need convincing that there are any real Humans there now and not just a bunch of AI computers ....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No Arthur Itis recently but Si Attica has been around but I have discovered how to deal with him. Its my right hip thats the problem. When the sciatica starts I lay out flat on the bed with my legs straight. I then move my right leg sideways as far as I can (still keeping it straight). I then draw up my knee to my chest and then straighten my leg. More often than not this clears the sciatica, if not I just repeat the exercise which is all it needs.

3 hours ago, Dave47549 said:

I'd* uninstall the sound driver via Device manager, then restart. Rebooting would then restore the correct driver configuration.

* Other fixes are available - & probably more reliable! :lol:

It seems to have fixed itself, when I switched on about ten minutes ago everything seemed OK.

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I have an HP printer/scanner which has gradually found itself incapable of printing any sort of text document and, very recently, is not recognising a new cartridge when it is inserted.  It can scan but getting it to do so is something of a trial.  definitely w the worst printer I have ever had and that's after several very good HP printers but alas Mac seem to like failing to provide drivers for older printers (like 3 years old) so meaning you have to buy a new one if you update your Mac software version.

If anyone can recommend a. Mac compatible printer which is very good for photo printing but will also print text and illustrations to a decent standard I would like to hear about - please.

I have had ten years good service from my Lexmark. A bit pricey I know but in the long run its saved money. Some will tell you that ink cartridges for Lexmark cost twice as much as HP but they hold three times as much ink and you can refill them yourself.

5 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Now that is a completely fictitious concept with my Vet these days.   

Indeed I'd need convincing that there are any real Humans there now and not just a bunch of AI computers ....

I'm fortunate that the surgery is only a few yards beyond the end of the street. The only bugbear is that they don't take blood samples you have to go to the local Hospital for that.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

HOW MUCH????

That's what I said a few minutes ago...

I'm going to plagiarise a post from another forum, someone I know via the autocar, who had a similar shock trying to find somewhere reasonable for lunch in London. In his words:

Prices.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

When we were in Switzerland we went to the Piz Gloria restaurant on top of the Schilthorn. This had featured in the James Bond film starring George Lazenby. Aditi was determined to eat there, everything seemed to carry the usual premium that you might expect but we went for the all you can eat (drink was Prosecco) buffet for 30 CHF each. I think we did quite well. 
Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I think I missed congratulating Simon on his entry to the wallet-emptying phase of his life!

Me too.  Better late than never.  

41 minutes ago, PupCam said:

a completely fictitious concept with my Vet these days.

Vet continues to send (apparently automated) emails reminding me that His Pawship was due for his annual vaccination in March and that he should be booked in now as a matter of urgency.  When I call they acknowledge the emails but continue to tell me that they are unable to see pets in person other than for emergencies until further notice and to call back in May.  So if I call back in May and they then tell me "it's out of date" or that they still can't see him what am I expected to do?  Finding another vet isn't that easy because transport would have to be  by train or (at a pinch) by bus.  Currently he goes in his carrier on SWMBO's trike which I can wheel up the road locally - the only cat we know who goes for tricycle rides!!!  

37 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Paris! Jeepers it was expensive.  Couldn't even afford a big mac there now

Over-rated, over-priced and, fortunately, over there.  We decided the €65 for the tour bus was ree-d1ck-you-less.  London isn't cheap but charges less than half of that to see probably rather more.  The hotel was rather poor and in a dodgy area but was the only one we could find within our price range that wasn't an hour from the centre.  We are fairly wised-up travellers and didn't expect much but we didn't even get the little we might have expected.   The fromagerie prices were also frightening.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Ahh yes - Bear's an old hand (lag?) at that one.  Goes something like:

Dial

Engaged

Hang up

Redial

Engaged

Hang up

Redial

Engaged

Etc......

I think Bear's record is about 30 minutes continuously, about as fast as I can....

I’ve tried to find the original cartoon, but can’t, so here’s the summary in words.

A guy doing much the same as Bear above, trying to get concert tickets by phone:

Dial

Engaged

Hang up

Redial

Engaged

Hang up

Redial

Engaged

Hang up

etc

Redial

Engaged

Hang up

Redial

Ringing

Hang up

***!!!####!!!

• Funny 12

1 hour ago, polybear said:

HOW MUCH????

There is a McD. in Interlaken and at that time they we’re doing a burger for 1CHF, but there’s no view of the Eiger.

Ive eaten there as they do a GF burger which is convenient.

Edited by Erichill16
Add sentence.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

We got a hotel deal in Paris near the centre which was OK, and loved the city (despite me thinking I would hate it) but I don't think we would enjoy it so much now with not being able to walk as far.  The Metro was cheap and good but the food prices were simply ridiculous.  We have a great memory of the week, it was Mrs NHN's choice for the silver welding anniversary and we did have a super time.  Only saw a few trains though, as we flew and I wasn't allowed much train time as we were going to Switzerland the next month by train, for my 50th birthday train holiday!  That was even better....

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

Evening All,

Congratulations to Simon and glad to hear Gordon is making progress.

Spent most of the day outside doing various jobs but came in to watch my team lose. They didn’t play well and looked terrible , in fact they don’t look that good when we’re winning.

Looked at the calendar this morning and realized in an alternative world I would have been In Dortmund at Intermodbau this weekend.

Anyway,

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6