The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I haven't rated most of the posts on heating as the systems don't sound like anything I've used. Our furnace and water heater are separate.

The Canadian Fairmont hotels mentioned used to be Canadian Pacific. The Toronto Royal York was missing most of the conveniences (lunch rooms) last time we went into it; I haven't had to stay in a Toronto hotel in over half a century.

We watched HRH's funeral. I found that the commentators insisted on talking through most of the band numbers (though not the service music) and "informative" banners were on the part of the screen where people were.

Grammar: My observationis that the part of speech disappearing is the participle. As in "fry pan" and "box set".

Edited by BR60103
carelessness
  • Like 17

Ah, Canada!

One of my favourite destinations. Although I have visited both Toronto and Montréal, my favourite part of Canada is definitely the west coast: British Columbia and Vancouver Island.

I have always thought that Canada seems to be able to marry the best from the US with the best from Europe with very little of the downsides of either. For example, although Canada has a lot of people who go hunting (and therefore plenty of guns) the Canadians seem to have avoided the whole American “gun as ego and pen1s extension“ fetish that seems to infect the US. Food, certainly in British Columbia (and especially in Vancouver Island) is far, far better on average than the average in the US. (amongst the best dim sum outside of Hong Kong that I ever had was in Victoria’s Chinatown – the oldest one in Canada).

The only disappointment I’ve had with my various business trips and holidays to British Columbia was that I never managed to ride the rails, even though I did spend a very enjoyable several days in Kamloops - a significant stopping point for West-East railway traffic (Canadian railway enthusiasts amongst us will be able to better describe Kamloops and Canadian Railways)

One final thought: with social distancing not likely to go away any time soon (despite a significant vaccine take-up), I wonder if there is a golden future for long distance rail in store? Think about it: with the sort of long train consist possible in North America you could have more than adequately socially distance seating and, looking to Japan for inspiration, I wonder with the lack of international travel (and international tourism) for the foreseeable future, whether or not the Japanese style luxury hotel on wheels could not gain traction in North America (no pun intended). A Canadian version of Train Suite Shiki-shima or Seven Stars in Kyushu together with the fantastic scenery of the Canadian Rockies would, I think, be amazing.

Enjoy Sunday

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Phrasing
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Earlier I made a beef stew and ate some of it.  There is no way that it will last four days as the instructions on the packet of Colman’s sauce allege, even though I augmented it with mushrooms and dumplings.  I’m not saying that to provoke the emission of steam from Flavio’s ears, though I suspect that there is a risk of it.

What??!! It's not only Flavio's ears which are emitting steam! A selection of dried herbs and spices with suitable seasoning, a dash of Worcestershire sauce and maybe even a teaspoon full of Marmite (yes, I did say Marmite!) stirred into the contents of canned, peeled tomatoes (they tend to disintegrate into the stew) and as much of a bottle of red wine as you feel necessary and there's your stew! Tastes different every time you make it as you use different herbs in differing proportions, unlike 'just out of the packet'!

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Flavio’s essay on eating out is, as always, thought provoking.  When I eat out I tend to do so more out of necessity than through choice.  Sometimes, however, I fancy a change.  After my last haircut I repaired to the nearby ‘Spoons and enjoyed a good plateful of breakfast, baked beans and all.  I like them, Flavio doesn’t.  Would it not be utterly boring if we all had the same taste?  I tend to eat breakfast out if I am on my way somewhere, since the alternative is to get the frying pan out at half past stupid before I set out for wherever it is that I am bound.  I find it handy to have a ‘Spoons directory in my jacket pocket but I am often just as happy to have a supermarket breakfast.  Don’t tell everyone, but there are even some decent breakfasts available on the motorway.  By the way, there is no such thing as a cheap anything in Switzerland …

I'd never considered roadkill for breakfast! Maybe one day... :jester:

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another sunny start to the day, currently sat with a muggertea on the bench under the workshop window. One barrow of rubble put in the trench so far, a few more to go yet. Tea finished so time to get back to the hammer. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oops, I forgot to say congratulations to Simon and to welcome him to the grandparents club. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

On 16/04/2021 at 18:31, Northroader said:

.... Very comfortable place with good meals. Then I got married.

I just love those two last sentences. Bliss juxtaposed with doom. Very much along the lines of “the 42nd Fusiliers were preparing for a quiet night. Then the Tigers appeared!”

On 16/04/2021 at 23:33, polybear said:

The dishwasher that Bear will most likely end up with also has wifi capability.  Bear thinks that a stack of LDC would be far more useful........

As far as I am concerned, every time a kitchen appliance salesman tried to push a domestic item at me with all kinds of bills and whistles, I view these egregious bells and whistles with deep scepticism and ask myself: “is these to be found on professional equipment?” 99.9% of the time the answer is a resounding “NO“.

I have yet to find a domestic oven that just turns on and off, has no hot spots or cold spots in the oven itself and which warms up quickly.

With domestic ovens things can get pretty stupid pretty fast; a friend of mine has an all-singing, all-dancing, Wi-Fi-controlled high-tech domestic oven. Trouble is  The on-board software will not let him use the oven for more than 90 minutes at a time, nor can this software be overriden (as we found out when we tried to do a four hour slow roast pork belly at his house)

On 17/04/2021 at 09:10, polybear said:

- though soft drink prices are often a p.take...

I don’t mind paying a little bit more than at the supermarket for a soft drink at the hotel bar (especially if they have a deep and wide bowl of peanuts or other sorts of nibbles), but what I do draw the line at is paying obscene prices for items in the minibar. I remember once, staying in a hotel off Orchard Road in Singapore,  drinks in the hotel minibar was so extortionate that I went down to the lobby, exited the hotel, crossed the road to the petrol station nearby and bought a six-pack of soft drinks for half the price of a single minibar Coke.

And as for those fully automated, computerised, linked to the billing system minibars that charge you every time you move something to get the cold drink at the back, the less said the better.

Unfortunately, thanks to the joys of jetlag, sometimes a minibar raid is absolutely necessary at 3 o’clock in the morning when your internal clock tells you it’s time to get up.

On 17/04/2021 at 13:55, The Stationmaster said:

... having four establishments  there, including a private dining room. (Brains Trust perchance??)...

An excellent suggestion Mike. Please do look into it (and prices, menu choices, trains to Marlow and so forth). I suspect private dining will not be inexpensive, but will be incredibly good value for money and provide a meal that will be remembered with pleasure long after the ache in the wallet has subsided.

I’ve not met Rick Stein, but I have met Tom Kerridge and he is a really nice bloke, down-to-earth and very engaging.

On 17/04/2021 at 14:23, JohnDMJ said:

...To this day, I am unable to understand how they managed to serve soggy carrots and broccoli!...

Four words John, four simple words: “Reheated-In The Microwave” (I wonder how many restaurants would survive if it was a requirement for them to indicate which dishes on the menu were reheated in the microwave. As for banning the microwave in restaurant kitchens, do that and that is pretty much the entire budget dining sector wiped out. Or maybe I’m just being a little bit too cynical about budget dining in the UK).

Whilst I generally agree with the thrust of your argument, John, I think only five minutes near the heat may be a tad too little for some of the vegetables on your list. Vegetables al-dente are most enjoyable, vegetables Rompidenti are not.

Profiteroles turned out passably adequate, so next weekend I will have to give my choux pastry another go and see if I can improve on things.

enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Edited by iL Dottore
Spellin
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2