The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I'm now just measuring a couple of stray resistors to fill in time before go home time..

I presume (hope) those are inanimate!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

You got it.  don't say you stopped there too at some time?

I was there 64-65. Fellow inmates you may have come across were Phil Nethercot, who went on to be assistant at Landore diesel, Cyril Candlin, a shift foreman at Tidal, and Steve Malloy, who reported back to BRB on how many wagons there really were in Cardiff Division. Very comfortable place with good meals. Then I got married.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot happening at the moment but the forecast for the coming week is dry and sunny so I might be able to get the Workmate out to do a few jobs out on the patio. Arthur Itis and Si Attica have both gone away and hopefully will stay away for a while. Time for dinner, be back later.

• Like 16

Good Evening from another fun-filled POTS day! Given the return to normal hours, suspect that much R'n'R will take place this weekend!

Only one major task to perform: remove (get removed) the avian excrement which currently adorns the jalopy!

One minor task: try to establish why my new tyre inflater read the existing pressure the first time it was applied but failed to show anything but 0 subsequently. Fortunately, I have a mechanical, pen-like, gauge with which I was able to verify that the pump function worked and the errant tyre was pressurised to the appropriate quantity of (non-alcoholic) bar!

ChrisF: a question

20 hours ago, chrisf said:

Nothing lasts for ever, and this is just as true of hotels as of anything else.  In July 2019 I returned to a Premier Inn on the northern fringe of Bristol and stayed for two nights.  Its only serious flaw was its inability to make tea properly, a defect which it shared with much of Switzerland.  Once I know for certain whether I will be in Bristol on a certain weekend in July I will have to hunt around for somewhere to stay because I cannot return to the Premier Inn.  It burned down three days after my last visit.

Where does one purchase suitable incendiary devices with fuses capable of achieving such a result?

A colleague and I were once (mid-late 90s) booked for accommodation at a travelodge in the Bracknell area; we checked in, saw our rooms and checked out to make alternative arrangements. We were attending training on Pro-Engineer and Pro-Mechanica CAD systems.

I did once have a contre temps with an hotel in which I stayed regularly in Meaux, France; the issue was sorted instantly and without fuss to a very satisfactory conclusion! I always paid them with EuroCheques - remember them? (Claimed back accordingly, of course!) Having spent so much time in this region, I became accustomed (addicted?) to Meaux Brie (much fuller flavour than any other Brie I have tasted!) and 'La Moutarde de Meaux', a grain mustard considerably different to that of Dijon! The mustard may be tricky to find, but there are UK sources. The Brie can often be found at Tess Goes or some small (little?) emporia!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

hy my new tyre inflater read the existing pressure the first time it was applied but failed to show anything but 0

Is there a little button to reset the meter before first use? On my smart pump there was a sticker telling you what to do. I did have to do it again after a year or so of it using it. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, chrisf said:

...snip... J S Bach, was it you that reminded me of Crosby Stills and Nash before?  A few months ago I had planned to reach Marrakech by train but I’m going with Sleazyjet now – not nearly so songworthy.

Best wishes to all - and thanks to Andy Y for fixing the forum!

Chris

Yes, it was I. Although not a particular fan of CS&N, I did still do like that song.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a missing word and correct some grammar.
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Is there a little button to reset the meter before first use? On my smart pump there was a sticker telling you what to do. I did have to do it again after a year or so of it using it. 

Thanks, Tony, believe me as an Engineer, I have looked! The manual suggests pressing and holding its - and + buttons at the same time for a few seconds; this only seems to do a factory reset but does not seem to restore the pressure reading facility!

Interestingly, the one reading the gizmo did offer was consistent with my trusted mechanical device! Thus, I know that I can use my trusted mechanical device to read the pressure then apply the gizmo to increase it for a given time, after which I then check with the trusted mechanical device and asses the next move! (I have also the option of a Halfords JumpStarter although its pressure gauge is analoguely vague and its fitting to the tyre's valve causes much air to be expelled!)

Charged from a USB port, this gizmo certainly packs the required punch to inflate a variety of tyres (car, bike, ball, etc.), it would be useful to have its feedback reading!

Before anyone comments, RTFM HAS been applied but to no (as yet) avail!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

I did once have a contre temps with an hotel in which I stayed regularly in Meaux, France; the issue was sorted instantly and without fuss to a very satisfactory conclusion! I always paid them with EuroCheques - remember them? (Claimed back accordingly, of course!) Having spent so much time in this region, I became accustomed (addicted?) to Meaux Brie (much fuller flavour than any other Brie I have tasted!) and 'La Moutarde de Meaux', a grain mustard considerably different to that of Dijon! The mustard may be trick to find, but there are UK sources. The Brie can often be found at Tess Goes or some small (little?) emporia!

Meaux just happens to be our 'Twin town' in France. It also has a thriving model railway club and I have been over there four times on exchange visits. These took place in November when the whole town puts on a bi-annual exhibition including a model railway exhibition. The accommodation was chosen by the French MRC and was a motel on the southern edge of the town. Pretty decent accommodation but breakfasts were rather limited, not that it mattered as in typical French fashion everything stopped for lunch which was quite substantial. I have unfortunately never been to our other twin town in Germany, Heilinghaus, its attraction for me is it is only 5 miles away from Wuppertal of suspended monorail fame, perhaps I'll get there some day. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear has been pondering ways of making washing machines easier to move (they're b. heavy - some joker fills them with concrete blocks) - four grippy rubber feet don't make life easy.  Anyway, Bear came up with the cunning plan of sticking self-adhesive felt pads to the underside of the rear feet - now I can lift the front very slightly and then slide the machine backwards and forwards on the tiled floor.  It's still b.heavy, but moving it is infinitely easier than before. 

With our bedroom/bathroom/kitchen/laundry floors being tile or laminate, all the appliances and heavy pieces of furniture in those rooms have felt pads on the feet. When moving any of these more than a few inches, though, I’ve found skateboards to be very useful. Fortunately (or not) we have several lying about the storage area, our sons (or at least two out of three) having outgrown them and not having taken them with them when they left home.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Where does one purchase suitable incendiary devices with fuses capable of achieving such a result?

Bear gets his from Ebay.

Ooops - maybe shouldn't have said that....

54 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Bear has a cheapo (very cheapo - but works well) air compressor from Home Bargains (£4-99) - but the gauge on it is less than hopeless.  So Bear uses this kinda pressure gauge (not this actual one) - I used to use the pencil type but they're not the friendliest to use.  The advantage of this kind of dial gauge is that (a) it holds the pressure reading on the display even when removed from the valve, and (b) if the pressure in the tyre is a bit high you can bleed some off by pushing the little button on the side of the gauge until the reading is correct.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Meter-2343-Autometer-Radiator/dp/B00062YVPW/ref=sr_1_68?dchild=1&keywords=pressure+gauge&qid=1618602424&rnid=1642204031&s=automotive&sr=1-68

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nice to see the forum functioning again. When I checked last night (early this morning BST) it was misbehaving in strange ways.

The weather here is again scintillating with unblemished blue skies and bright sunshine. With warming temperatures, every day this week is our hottest day so far this year. Tomorrow (if the forecast of  28°C holds) we may break a record for the highest recorded, local April 17th temperature.

'Normal' high temperatures are in the range of 16°C so this weather is unseasonably warm and exceptionally dry. We are now behind our cumulative rainfall by 3.5" and already the burn bans are in place, which does not augur well for fire season. I have determined to restart the drip irrigation - which is something I normally only need to do in the summer and early autumn.

It is nice to finally have the windows open during the day. (Normally I do crack the windows in my bedroom open at night. I like to sleep under heavy covers and this needs some cool air.)

• Like 18

12 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I didn't share his enthusiasm for Mahler, Bruckner and some of the earlier theatrical and choral pieces.  On the other hand I am open to a journey of discovery and there will be some hidden gems in there for sure.  

Listen carefully and you will find themes that are just as memorable as those of more popular composers.  These will be the gems to which you refer and Mahler had some superb finales!:yes:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I have also tried scanning some of my late father's slides from the collection I inherited after his passing.  He was never a great photographer and used film after film snapping flowers in bloom to a rather mediocre standard.  I also don't seem to have a quality slide-scanning option within VueScan - I thought there was one - so need to investigate alternatives as I also have some of my own slides which could be scanned and cleaned up.  

Jamie recommends an Epson Perfection V800 with an A4 viewbed.  It looks great but SWMBO says its too expensive what with the other essential expenses that are currently more important.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

a computing degree comes in handy - in setting the cooker clock ..

Is there an “app” for the cooker? I was a bit sceptical that our recent cooker purchase has WiFi capability but the it is actually quite useful. The clock uses internet time somehow. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Is there an “app” for the cooker? I was a bit sceptical that our recent cooker purchase has WiFi capability but the it is actually quite useful. The clock uses internet time somehow. 

The dishwasher that Bear will most likely end up with also has wifi capability.  Bear thinks that a stack of LDC would be far more useful........

• Like 12
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We have spent three hours attempting to set the thermostat for the new boiler.

My thermostat on the new one is internet connected and the app in the phone does everything. I have a multi-page manual for the controls but Vaillant have excelled themselves with the simplicity of the control.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The fitter who installed my new boiler explained how the controls worked and how to set times most of which I've forgotten. The only control I use is the temperature which as I am at home most of the time is all that is required.

• Like 15