The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

First off - skipping has happened due to use of PC for more "important" matters.  So generic greetings are all that I can offer.

Not a lot to report - 30747 at work - 45156 got to vistit bank - Lily still recovering and back at vet again tomorrow.

Now then guitarists, this one came into my inbox this morning and is utterly jaw dropping - this has NOT been speeded up - Tommy and Trey actually played this at that speed - RESPECT.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The B&B I stayed at in Newquay had an en-suite shower and toilet. Converted from what must have been a broom cupboard. It was a little over two feet wide and about five feet long. The wash basin was in the room itself. It was as cheap as chips but it was clean and the full English breakfast was good. I booked through Travelzoo which is a remainder shop for holidays.

I have encountered a room such as that in a Folkestone hotel. The 'en-suite' cupboard had a sliding door, because any other would have made the whole outfit unworkable. There was a shower and a toilet inside the cupboard, which was adequate I suppose - but to describe it as cramped would be a gross understatement. Again, the sink was in the room, although that was useful for washing cups without having to go into the en-suite cupboard all the time. 

The breakfast was also good and cooked to order in the kitchen, not dried up self service stuff; and their scrambled egg was so good I tried to discover what the ingredients were, but without much success. I tried to work things out for myself, and repeat the process when I was back home, but I couldn't quite get the same luxury feeling to it - even with butter, or double cream. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Team Cynical(tm) operates 24/7.  You don’t become the super villain’s super villain by working 9-to-5, Monday to Friday!

Well, you say that, but ......... :taunt:

• Like 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all. There's a chilly wind around here. However quite a bit has got done. A good afternoon was spent trainspotting with Andybyesterday, plenty of trains which was good. This morning I had various errands to begin with, andvthen whilst Beth strimmed, I attaked thecremaining partbof the sycamore with the chainsaw. The large piece is now in 5 pieces. These are nowcin the woodshed .  They need citting into somewhat smaller bits then put through the log splitter.  It's nice to see a clear bit of garden.

Not a huge amount to say so I will bid you good day.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

The weather is reasonable and teh sun has ccasionally appeared but the temperature is still a tad on the low side.  I trust Gordon and dave's dad are both making progress, fingers remain firm;y crossed for both of them.

To answr Chrisf's query I my lodge in Cardiff was on Firtzhammon Embankment and was excellent with good meals and nce and cean plus - usually - pleasant company with a mix of BR, BT and HMP regulars.  when i first worked in Cardiff back in teh late 1960s I stopped ina B&B in Cathedral Road and it was quite ok.  That road still n boasts a good number of such establishments some of which now call themselves hotels and hopefully the immediate competition would helkp keep them on their toes.

When staying anywhere apart from obvious things like comfort and cleanliness I do like decent food - properly prepared, cooked, and served.  That was an excellent point in its favour aboard our regular ship as Tony was a top notch cook who made sure he got in good ingredients whenever he could.   Hotels seem a bit hit & miss although I've had some reasonably satisfactory breakfasts in the Novotel in Sheffield despite them being of the buffet variety.  However in anywhere with 3 or more stars I would expect a breakfast of choice cooked freshly to order with a reasonable speed of delivery,   One of the best breakfast I've had was in what amounted to a hostel ('sheets included' it said) where the lad and i stopped in York years ago; the blokes cooking the breakfast, to order, had every appearance of being ex-cons but the breakfast was top notch and the best thing about the place although it was very clean.  

Poor food does put me off a place as quickly as anything else - some years back we stayed in a hotel in St Agnes and while breakfast wasn't too bad the evening meal was atrocious - we simply couldn't understand why some guests kept on about liking it so much they kept on going back to the hotel (we never have).  Now I of course 'went back' for school dinners (no choice about that) but they were generally far better than the meals served up in the evening in that hotel - in fact we twice drove across Cornwall to Falmouth for our evening meal - which wasn't bad during a four night stay and we ate out locally on the other evening.  So good grub definitely maketh my stay a welcome experience and might encouragea return visit.

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all and stay safe; it's time for mushrooms and bacon on toast for me.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

You got it.  don't say you stopped there too at some time?

That's wierd, I've only stayed in Cardiff once and I stayed in a B and B on Fitzhammon Embankment. Not Mrs Reagans though, Austins just further up.  Not work related, a 3 day railrover to clear all the south Wales lines in my rail atlas. A night in Cardiff, next in Swansea, then back to Cardiff for the third. The whole 3 day plan was based round the boat train to Fishgaurd that took the Swansea District line. 

Jamie

• Like 18

POETS, and definitely going to do just that :)

Another quiet day yesterday with just a few changes requested by the Long Island client.

Whitney walk and grocery shopping the only other highlights of the day.

Our garden/lawn spring cleanup handled nicely by our lawn service, so we're all ready for Spring/Summer if/when it finally arrives! :O

Zoom happy hour planned for this evening with our friends in Phoenix. The last one as the depart tomorrow to return home here. Be good to see them in person soon.

Nothing stellar planned for the weekend, dinner with Trevor and Meagan tomorrow and hopefully some hobby time thrown in so long as no "to do's" appear!

2 and partly sunny first thing, looking at 14 for the high, this will be repeated all weekend according to the forecast.

Enjoy the start of the weekend all.

• Like 19

Couldn't post first thing as something wanted to play games, (THANKS Andy Y for sorting).

Anyway, a short walk and a decent enough day.

A trip out up the A3 and through Selbourne to a certain Emporium in Alton to purchase a box of something with my Credit Note from before Christmas, and a nice drive back the other route through the Meon Valley in time for Lunch.

Fish and Chip Friday, so the Good Lady needs to get the bits out of the freezer pretty soon. (Oh she has just left her chair, so things are looking up for later). :good:

Have what is left of a good day, stay safe and well and thoughts as always to Dave @Dave Hunt for his dad, and Gordon, @gordon s at this time.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1