The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening All,

Took nephews to school and then mil and Sydney for a walk. Pm spent doing paperwork at mils until fetching boys back from school. Mil made them their tea and later SWMBO and myself took them home.

Tomorrow looks to be heading the same way.

After tea a bit of shed time which included a small amount of putting things away.  Happy with what I’ve done, not perfect (by a long way) put progress.

Early start tomorrow so goodnight,

Robert

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

There was a travel lodge or similar at Podimore (I think) alongside a Little Chef. Used this 1994-5 when setting up an Estate system in rural Dorset. Olympic breakfast, lunch at the site - they provided sandwiches - coffee all day and supper in Yeovil in a great restaurant I found. Found some interesting country tours between site and hotel in the evenings - very pleasant.

May I enquire as to what an 'estate system' is?

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Once upon a time an Australian Tourism Minister got into a flap for a commenting (on the koala) that it is:

He's not wrong mind you, but it was considered a faux pas (and reasonably so) by a tourist minister. The whole fracas was very entertaining.

Reminds one of Edwina Currie and chicken eggs - she had it on her face but was absolutely correct ... you can see why politicians don't like telling the truth!

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

To be fair to the driver, even head up, the visibility of anything other than forward is very restricted.  It's the crew commander who is responsible for keeping up the all around visibility.  We were taught that it was a crew responsibility to keep a good look out.

Around here when they road test tracked vehicles, you'll often see the commander in the turret backing up the vehicles direction indicators with arm signals.

The spinning wheels and flailing tracks draw in the Telfs like moths to a flame.

Isn't that a good thing as it would reduce the gene pool.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

A nice trip out for a bike ride today. Hebden Bridge was heaving and our usual coffee stop was full to bursting and no sign of social distancing in the town centre.  It was straight through up to Midge Hole then a long climb to the Pennine Bridleway before a rapid decent of Colden Clough. I was surprised to find a few patches of snow still around on the higher ground.

It was 23 months since we did the same ride and I was pleased to do it in about the same time despite not having done any long climbs on a non-electric bike for over six months.

The Pennine section of the M62 was fairly quiet, plenty of cars but the lorry traffic not yet recovered and very few foreign lorries about compared with pre-Covid/Brexit times. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I was supposed to take the car in for service and changing out the snow tires on Thursday. Since I made the appointment we've had a lockdown/CB imposed.  Phone call from dealer today -- can't use waiting room. I would have sat outside but there's rain forecast. SWMBO says I can't take taxi home and we don't have extra vehicle. They understood when I cancelled.

Chrisf:

We store our motorhome on a big farm lot.  We need our car to get home afterwards. Our neighbour's wife doesn't drive (apparently) so he has to tow the car to storage and drive it home.  don't know how it would work for us if we didn't have 2 drivers as we can't & won't tow.

• Like 18

16 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear used to stay in a B&B Farmhouse at Cary Fitzpaine, a small Hamlet just a couple of miles north of the Podimore roundabout; that was back in the days when Bear was doing a lot of integration work on Lynx at WHL Yeovil.  We had the choice of staying in Hotels (fully receipted) or the Great Empire would give us the grand sum of £47-35 a night to do our own thing - so long as we turned up for work each day without stinkin' and looking like Worzel they didn't care where we stayed.  As we could get a B&B for eighteen quid a night (plus a cheapo evening meal in a pub somewhere) we were quids in...

The joys of business travel!

Actually, I’ve been very lucky with my business travel over the years.  The companies I’ve worked for have been particularly generous with their business travel policies: business class long haul flights (where “long haul” is anything over three hours), first class train travel, taxis as and when needed and hotels were generally either boutique hotels (if I could get a good deal) or four-star properties. I preferred to have everything receipted, rather than get a cash sum for my travel expenses. Firstly, because I didn’t need to scrimp and save to make a few extra bob as I was more than adequately paid and secondly, because the daily rate for the destination was invariably two or three years out of date. 

Mind you, the generosity of the business travel policies was not out of the goodness of their hearts; when you are working in an industry that quite literally can spend hundreds of millions of pounds on projects, you don’t want your employees to be so discomfited by travel and accommodation that bad decisions are made from either exhaustion, jetlag or any of the myriad discomforts that economy travel and accommodation bring. The other factor in the generous business travel policy was that heavy travel demands were made of us. Not for us the once quarterly, every six months or once yearly business trip; when studies were starting up I would be doing as many as 15 business trips in a month (or a multi-continent itinerary of 4 to 6 weeks). I’m not sure that I have the stamina for that sort of travel any more, even with the comforts of business class travel and more than decent accommodation.

Travelling so much did allow me, through experience, to formulate travel guidelines that have served me well for pleasure as well as business.

• if you are travelling for pleasure, try to take the holiday on the seasonal. “shoulder” (i.e. just before the season properly starts or just at its’ end). At those times nothing is shut, unlike during the “off-season”, but the crowds are gone (having said that, places like Venice or Florence are only worth visiting nowadays in the depth of the off-season)
  • the only reason for flying business class is the seat/space. Lie-flat seats take the agony out of long haul and allow you get some sleep. Economy on a decent airline (e.g. not on Ryanair or similar) is more than adequate for something like ZRH-LCY
  • by flying via a third country (e.g. LHR-CDG-IAD) you can get business class tickets for not much more than full-fare economy
  • the best seating on BA’s 747-400s (when they flew them) was the upper deck
  • ”luxury” accommodation isn’t necessarily defined by the number of stars it has - I’ve stayed in some pretty dire, so-called “4-Star”, properties and some pretty amazing “boutique” hotels and B&Bs
  • if you look up the layout of your accommodation ahead of time you can ask for a room that is nowhere near a) the lift, b] the outside air conditioning plant, c) the kitchen or d) the disco/all-night bar (I once spent a hellish night in Paris in an elderly 4-star hotel in a room right next to the lift shaft). if you like peace, quiet and an odourless room of course.
  • it used to be that you couldn’t get a decent meal in a hotel restaurant and the breakfast was inevitably “industrial”. That has certainly changed, with chefs like Tom Kerridge opening great restaurants in hotels (but breakfasts remain dire). The best breakfasts are in “boutique” hotels and B&Bs
  • when eating out abroad, go where the menu is only in the local language and where there are lots of locals
  • avoid - like the plague - restaurants that have menus in multiple languages and (especially) have non-seasonal items on the menu (like asparagus in December), The deep-freeze, deep-fat fryer and microwave are their friends, not yours...

and finally

• in your carry-on always pack a spare set of the necessities (underwear, socks, shirt, tie, travel toothbrush and razor), ‘cos they often will misplace your luggage even if you travel First or Business Class.

Oh dear me, all that brings back memories....

Eventually countries will re-open and travel will re-start and when it does I have one or two final itineraries to enjoy: both involving both serious food and serious train journeys.

Happy humpday!

Edited by iL Dottore
Grammar
  • Like 13

Morning All,

I was in a rush last night when I posted and really wanted to send best wishes Dave Hunts dad and hope that Gordon S’s slow progress is maintained. Hopefully progress will speed up.

Anyway better get a move on, nephews to taxi about.

Robert

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1