The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Let Monkeyarefun travel send you off to Queenstown on the west coast.

You don't get Boag's in the 'other' Queenstown. It's Speight's there. (Both are owned by Lion.)

Queenstown, NZ has the same latitude south as I currently do north (>45°). Queenstown in Tassie has the same latitude south as the Oregon/California border is north (42°).

EDIT: This is an approximate (eyeballed) transposition using the website "thetruesize.com"

flipped.png.64255067b95bc3e9f5aa247f922c5faa.png

Home is about as far south as Orlando is north.

Sydney is about as far south as Los Angles is north (~34°). Likewise for Rockhampton and Havana (23°) or Perth and Savannah, GA (32°).

Australia is about 7.7M km^2. The lower 48 states of the US are about 9.5M km^2.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11

thetruesize.com is fun to play with.

Placing the UK with Edinburgh on Vancouver, the Amtrak Cascades service (467 miles) runs a distance (roughly) from Exmouth to Edinburgh (which Google estimates at 450 miles on the M5 and M6).

uk-nw.PNG.3c6f1a15b64411abf108f8006a1f7dae.PNG

Eugene to Vancouver is 425 miles on I5.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

They had that problem when they opened a large branch just outside Reading - easy enough-ish to get out of the shop but it was then taking people well over an hour to drive out of the car park.

Bear seems to recall that when the Edmonton IKEA opened the queues to get in started on the North Cicular - not helped by special offers such as a sofa for fifty quid (or thereabouts).  IIRC the Police either stopped the opening or persuaded the manager to do so himself.

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Many thanks to all who have advised on camper vans and where to put them. 

Bear has advised several camper van owners precisely where they should put them, usually when stuck behind them for miles on the single carriageway sections of the A303.....

In other news:

Bear's late today - still not dressed and I've floor grout to attend to...

• Like 14
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was at it hammer and tongs first thing this morning but a brace of nurofen is putting him in his place.

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

You don't get Boag's in the 'other' Queenstown. It's Speight's there. (Both are owned by Lion.)

Queenstown, NZ has the same latitude south as I currently do north (>45°). Queenstown in Tassie has the same latitude south as the Oregon/California border is north (42°).

EDIT: This is an approximate (eyeballed) transposition using the website "thetruesize.com"

flipped.png.64255067b95bc3e9f5aa247f922c5faa.png

Home is about as far south as Orlando is north.

Sydney is about as far south as Los Angles is north (~34°). Likewise for Rockhampton and Havana (23°) or Perth and Savannah, GA (32°).

Australia is about 7.7M km^2. The lower 48 states of the US are about 9.5M km^2.

I understand that New Zealand is opposite Spain on the globe and Australia is opposite the Sahara/North Africa. The only place that is opposite the UK is Antipodes Island south of New Zealand.  

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6

Woohooo, the Sun is back with vengeance this morning, the walk was nice but not to long as I didn't want to upset the hip as I have a little painting to do today in the coving above the Fireplace where two small brown patches show where the damp was creeping in. Now that that is sorted, and the coving is dry, it just needs a tidy up.

Not much else planned for this week.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and well.:dancer:

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

How would they notice Ikea? They opened the Newcastle western bypass and have for ever been digging it up again. I don't think I've ever been through there without a big traffic jam. If the A66 is closed, I tend to use the A68 now.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

How would they notice Ikea? They opened the Newcastle western bypass and have for ever been digging it up again. I don't think I've ever been through there without a big traffic jam. If the A66 is closed, I tend to use the A68 now.

It was about 30 years ago.... We've been on Fraggle Rock 19 years!  The Western Bypass was always a 20mph mobile traffic jam but as I worked at Newcastle General at the time it was the 'quickest' (relative term) way to work from South Shields.  Oh how I don't miss that commute - 2 hours on an evening sometimes. For 12 miles.  It isn't a road I have driven on since we left Tyneside, thankfully.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

They had that problem when they opened a large branch just outside Reading - easy enough-ish to get out of the shop but it was then taking people well over an hour to drive out of the car park.

Wednesbury was like that, trying to get all of the customers out of the car park and onto J9 of the M6 at 4pm on Sunday afternoon was not clever.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s another beautiful sunny day outside, where’s all this rain that was promised? Not that I’m complaining! Anyway, I’ll give the garden a miss and my back a rest and carry on painting the 2 dining chairs I started a couple of weeks ago. Once they’ve both had a coat of paint I’ll do a little more organising in the cellar. I need to get some dust covers out to cover the shelves that I haven’t yet found room for in the shed. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 14

When I need something from Ikea I now use their delivery service. Coventry, our nearest closed, and no it's either Wednesbury of Ilkeston, not worth making the trip for. Fortunately I'm we;=ll equipped in what I need to install, so its now a question of fitting it.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh how I don't miss that commute - 2 hours on an evening sometimes. For 12 miles. 

I do recall a certain young cub regularly managing a similar commute in 12 minutes.....:laugh:

RD250 + no sense whatsoever + a lot of luck + white paws covered in yellow sticky stuff.

No names.....

In other news:

Tea break time; the knees/back/neck/left wrist will be complaining big time before much more of this grovelling on the floor lark.  I did wonder if a second application of the sealant may be needed/beneficial, but a try-out on the small area I did yesterday resulted in no darkening of the grout in the same way as the first coat does (it lightens again as it dries) which suggests it's sealing the surface as promised.  The bad news is that I followed the manufacturer's data regarding coverage per bottle and bought 2 bottles (at twenty quid a time) - no way will I need anywhere near that much - I'll be amazed if I get thru' even half a bottle.  Must investigate if I can return one of them (Ebay purchase, but from a company so distance selling regs. still apply;  I'll still have to swallow the hit on postage though).  Turdycurses.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

I used the A303 last time I ventured down that way. The reason I chose that route was that it passed by the village of Podimore. Podimore is where some of my ancestors had lived two centuries ago so I wanted to stop off just to have a look. I went to the local church St. Peters, hoping to see if I recognised any names on the gravestones but regrettably most of the gravestones had been removed and placed against the churchyard wall. Most if not all of them were unreadable due to weathering and erosion anyway. As it was also midway through my journey I stopped off at the local hostelry https://www.podymore-inn.co.uk/ for lunch. Glad to see that it appears to have survived the lockdown.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

A walk was walked, and it didn't rain, joy of joys.  Only 2 1/2 miles today, foot and hip both in agreement that was enough.  The village seemed very quiet, but some schools have started back here today so that may account for it.  Only 30 live cases here now, no-one in hospickle, no new cases for 14 days.  We're close....  Lockdown hoping to be relieved on Monday.

John CB likes these things - https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/latest-updates/

Tank looks like he'll finish today, just as well as my train piggy bank is empty.  

PBear, RD250, oh yeah, had a 'C' model for a while, but luckily the first flush of youth had worn off a bit (it was a cheapie for a winter rider), so I survived.  A shame I didn't keep it as not long after it went, they became valuable and folk started making the bits for them again.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1