The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Worth bearing in mind if you are unlucky enough to catch the dreaded lurgy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56717486

That's good news BUT presupposes that you could get anywhere near a GP or even a telephone appointment to get it prescribed in the first instance.

If Pupper's recent experience is anything to go by that might be a big ask!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Just what is this desperation for a Pub + booze?  Bear confused.

And where is the antisocial distancing, pray, when folk gather in droves (provided the drove is no more than two households ;) ) sink ales as fast as they can be served and then depart arm-in-arm doing something they call "singing" but which often turns out to be a raucous noise prior to arguing, vomiting and / or falling over?  

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Wot no Chips??

My thoughts exactly.  However salad was requested tonight.  I need a rabbit on stand-by.  

Primark

My friend who is employed at their Thanet store had today off as rostered.  She reports her colleagues noted a queue over a half-mile long at 7am.  

IKEA

The store allegedly responsible for more divorces than any other :scratchhead: It seems that the female half of our society can cope with the weird notion that everyone wishes to spend the day shuffling through a pre-determined route through the entire store when what is required is already known and only needs to be collected from the "Collection Point".  And how, pray, does one return to something seen earlier on the off-chance that it might actually be required after all?  Is a second lap of the store required?   H0m0 sapiens (jokingly the "wise man") stays at home and orders online :jester:

Edited by Gwiwer
Because the profanity filter objects to the correct nomenclature for a human
  • Like 16

Re primark i believe they were opening till 10pm 

Personally i find the stuff is rubbish the t shirts dont wash right and the leggings we used to see women wearing on our round at work. You could always tell they were primark because you could see their knickers through them. Sadly in most cases it was not the nicest view.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Evening all, nice day today, so another drive up to the Glens of Angus, Glen Clova then on into Glen Doll, the car park was rammed with cars, so we just turned around and made our way back watching all the wildlife. Not much snow now with temperature of 7 degrees, large group of Red Deer had come down off the hills to feed on the lower meadows, it's been a tough winter up there, we found 3 dead deer on the hill sides. Still no sign of any spring migrant birds up there yet, though a few coastal birds have moved onto the breeding fields. Nice to be able to go up there, the air is so different somehow.

• Like 17

26 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It seems that the female half of our society can cope with the weird notion that everyone wishes to spend the day shuffling through a pre-determined route through the entire store when what is required is already known and only needs to be collected from the "Collection Point".  

Go often enough to the same store and you get to know the hidden shortcuts. (They are there!)

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

@polybear Nbc report from you tube

He really, really doesn't do himself any favours.  Smart enough to turn the dashcam around to film the proceedings I note....

28 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

My friend who is employed at their Thanet store had today off as rostered.  She reports her colleagues noted a queue over a half-mile long at 7am.  

:laugh::rofl:

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I have never been inside an IKEA store AFAIK but they keep sending me catalogues which usually remain in their plastic bags until they go into the recycling. I have never bought anything from them either. Time to put the kettle on.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

"What Barnsley needs is some better shops like Primark" At least her wish came true. God only knows what the shops there must have been like at the time.

We certainly do need some better shops, a WHSmiths would be a start.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Evening All,

Thoughts for Gordon S and a full recovery.

Committee meeting of the local wheel tappers and shunters club at the new premises. Work is progressing slowly but when we get the paperwork sorted things can start moving faster. Small amount of shed time and a couple of films. 
Interesting report highlighted by Polybear, its a very common product, let’s hope it doesn’t go short. 
Anyway, Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As far as I know maintenance  is not a valid reason, only, buying, renting or letting. Several of our friends are trying to find ways to get round the regs.  

Jamie

Pay you instead?

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been glorious, sunshine all day, but the temperature didn’t get above 9C. 

All the pegging and shuttering has been done for the wheelbarrow run and the tench prepared for gravel and sand that will form the sub base for the paving. The next stage is to get the sand and gravel in the trench so it can be levelled and a start can be made laying the pavers on a bed of mortar. However, in the meantime, I’ve put a few large pieces of old paving in the bottom of the trench, to act as stepping stones, thus preventing muddy footprints being spread about the patio and not to mention the house! Further work will probably get started towards the end of the week, but probably more like next week, as I need more pavers. I have some pavers left over from when I relaid the patio, but I do need to get just over a hundred more for the path. I’d finished this work before dinner, so I cleaned off all my tools and put them away before locking up and heading in for dinner. After dinner I made a start on preparing putting away various tins of paint etc, prior to pulling the ceiling down. Tomorrow I’ll carry on painting the brace of dining chairs that I started working a couple of weeks ago, as I want to get them finished before I continue the path. 

This evening I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, it seemed quieter than normal, but the streets were busier, perhaps everyone had gone to the pub!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Makes a change from queueing to get out at closing time.

They had that problem when they opened a large branch just outside Reading - easy enough-ish to get out of the shop but it was then taking people well over an hour to drive out of the car park.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

yet policing seems to have a different set of perceptions.

Maybe they need to tweak their recruitment ads.

I've always been a  fan of the whacky  New Zealand police recruitment ads. Looks like a life of great fun, makes even me want to join up (Which I can apparently  as an  Australian citizen...)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13

24 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've always been a  fan of the whacky  New Zealand police recruitment ads.

Are these on television, or just online?

Air New Zealand always has the best pre-flight safety videos. I'm a bit biased but really liked the Middle Earth ones.

I laughed at one of the fence jumping scenes. My cousin's husband is a police officer in Australia, currently in the retirement glide path. According to my cousin, his trousers always wore out in the same spot - the point on his backside where he would slide over a fence, rather than vaulting it.

• Funny 18

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... typical New Zealand TV programmes

The contribution of sheepdog herding to the NZ cultural scene cannot be underestimated. ;)

"Footrot Flats" was regularly published in the newspaper, 'back in the day'. I note that the cartoonist is no longer with us.

It may not surprise you to know that there are corporate gigs where corporate townie types are put in a paddock with the sheep, only to be shown up by the dog - to the amusement of their colleagues.

• Like 9
  • Funny 4