The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The new record deck doesn’t cause any hum. I did actually wonder with my high frequency hearing loss if I would be able to notice any other difference in audio quality. I do think I still can. We can now work through all the albums from the 1970s and 80s we never got on cd or iTunes. 
I can’t complain about the old Pioneer turntable. I bought it from a Comet warehouse in a sale at the end of 1974. It even spent a couple of years stored in the loft when I couldn’t get replacement drive belts. Not a problem over recent years with the “vinyl revival”. The new one doesn’t have a belt drive. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Too much punctuation
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We could use Tasmania.

I thought that you already did if various things I heard when working in Sydney were to be believed.  I got a strong impression that Tasmania (and Tassies) was to Sydneysiders as the Forest of Dean is to folk brought up in Gloucester ;) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We knew the pubs were open.  At 7.10am we had our first delayed train.  Persons fighting aboard the Salisbury service before it had even left Waterloo.  Police removed them and it quickly became known that at least one had spent at least some of the night imbibing significant quantities of loopy-juice.  But aside from the passage through our lives of a few moderately disrespectful folk, which I'm afraid is normal for a day's work, that was the extent of it.  

Just what is this desperation for a Pub + booze?  Bear confused.

6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I am required to present pizza with a salad "as soon as possible" which requires minimal effort beyond leaving the computer.  I had better leave the computer and minimise my effort, then.  

Wot no Chips??

• Like 10
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A successful trip to Tess Coes for a few essentials, bread, milk and eggs. I also made an appointment for a haircut, Thursday afternoon as I intended and it was also the earliest slot available, they were very busy.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Local paper has an interview with a girl who spent over £400 in Primark this morning.

I wonder how much it will cost to hire a van to take it home?

Going back to this. it reminded me of a Government campaign some years ago to try to resuscitate moribund High Street shopping areas. Their retail guru, recruited from a TV programme, was filmed  talking to shoppers. One of them said "What Barnsley needs is some better shops like Primark" At least her wish came true. God only knows what the shops there must have been like at the time.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

Of queing to get through the checkouts at any time I have been in the Leeds store

I have watched the video on you tube of this arrest in America i don't think the Soldier did his self any favours constantly asking what's going on.

But I suppose a lot of it is done in the heat of the moment, I can't blame him for keeping his arms out the window.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have watched the video on you tube of this arrest in America i don't think the Soldier did his self any favours constantly asking what's going on.

I think it’s quite natural to ask what’s going on, if you know you have done nothing wrong.

In fact, I know of a case locally here (in Canada) where a kid 15 or 16 years old staying quiet and calm, since he had not been involved in what he was being accused of and knew he would eventually be cleared, was taken by police as implying guilt. They considered it was normal for people innocent of what they are being accused of to be vocally unhappy. 

Edited by pH
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I really don't believe we should be discussing this here. I was pulled over a couple of years ago. The police officer strolled to my window and I asked him how I could help him*.  Black Americans are frequently not treated this way. In the case of the uniformed US Army officer, the police officer's first action was to yell at him at gunpoint.

* I won't go through the dialogue, but he gave me a warning and sent me on my way. EDIT: I wasn't asked (or commanded) to get out of my car. I remained in the car with my seatbelt on. No weapons were drawn. The police officer chatted in a perfectly normal tone of voice through the open window.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Saw footage on bbc website of the gun salute at sea for Prince Phillip they only showed a couple of rounds fired. I assumed they would have used tge main 4.5 inch gun  but no they used a 3 pounder ceremonial gun. I suppose the crew loading and firing is part of the tribute.

• Like 11

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Call me old-fashioned, but if a Police Officer says to Bear "stop" then I stop.

Thats how it should work!  Here though the police have a problem as instead of complying, you might be facing a gun in your face!  Heaven help you if you are the arresting officer and have to shoot first in this day and age!  Fires will be set, windows destroyed, looting begins and chaos reigns.  Happens all the time!:rolleyes:  And still nothing gets done!:angry:

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Oh for goodness sake - I have just seen people queueing for about half a mile around the car park just to get into IKEA at Eastville. 

Do they not realise the shop will open again tomorrow? 

I wouldn't queue to get into an IKEA anyway. I try to avoid the shop like the plague. 

Apparently they were queuing to get into Primark Stevenage this morning....from 5am :rofl:

Bear quite likes IKEA, but hasn't been into one for probably 5+ years now.

1 hour ago, pH said:

I think it’s quite natural to ask what’s going on, if you know you have done nothing wrong.

In fact, I know of a case locally here (in Canada) where a kid 15 or 16 years old staying quiet and calm, since he had not been involved in what he was being accused of and knew he would eventually be cleared, was taken by police as implying guilt. They considered it was normal for people innocent of what they are being accused of to be vocally unhappy. 

I'd guess the best approach is when a Police Officer says jump, then jump.  Wait until the situation is diffused before enquiring as to what, if anything you'd done wrong etc.  Or not, depending on what sort of Officer it is....

51 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I really don't believe we should be discussing this here. I was pulled over a couple of years ago. The police officer strolled to my window and I asked him how I could help him*.  Black Americans are frequently not treated this way. In the case of the uniformed US Army officer, the police officer's first action was to yell at him at gunpoint.

* I won't go through the dialogue, but he gave me a warning and sent me on my way. EDIT: I wasn't asked (or commanded) to get out of my car. I remained in the car with my seatbelt on. No weapons were drawn. The police officer chatted in a perfectly normal tone of voice through the open window.

I've never been to the States, let alone lived there, so I'm only guessing here:

I suspect it depends on the area of country you live in, what your initial body language is, your age bracket, male or female etc etc.  And yes, with some Officers it will depend on the ethnicity too, sadly. 

Assuming the officer is 100% professional then their experience will no doubt tell them when extra caution is needed.  getting that wrong or letting their guard down just for a moment could determine whether or not they'll be going home that night or not.

Regarding the BBC clip, I'd be interested in seeing it from start to finish - it only shows a snapshot, which may be giving a false representation.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1