The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Let us just remember that it was American soldiers who actually brought the so called 'Spanish Flu' to Europe so it should really be the USA of A Flu.

It's not quite as clear cut as that, either.

It was called Spanish Flu because Spain was the only location outside of the rest of Europe and America that had a free press at the time. I'm cautious about writing the next bit for obvious reasons.. It is thought it originated in China and migrated to Europe via Boston. Kansas is believed to be a "red herring". It's difficult to believe it sprung out of nothing in a farmland. China is easier to say than it arrived there by trade routes too having matured along the way, it could just as easily have started in British India.

The real culprit, however was WW1. Crowded troopships and unsanitary camps were the real problems.

Best, Pete.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear watched yet another episode of "Star Trek - Picard" earlier; there was mention of cake - a young lady required serious comfort food.  Shortly after, she barfed :bad:

"Is that blood?"  says the Ship's Captain.  "No - it's red velvet (cake)" came the reply :laugh_mini2:.  Seems that lump number 3 was a lump too far.  Lightweight.

More importantly, the idea of having a "Replicator" has gained added urgency, as it's opened a whole new word of cake scoffing.  Now where did I put my HNC Electronics Theory books.....

• Funny 11

52 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

@trisonic You were lucky with covid - a friend here had it, and described it as 'having all the illnesses I have ever had before, all at once'.  He survived - just.  A retired police officer friend died of it a year ago today, the second death here from it.

And relax.

I was lucky, the son of a nephew of mine aged 24 fit, a fireman in New York City absolutely couldn't stand up from his bed. Then conversely in my county of Union, here over 66,826 have had it to date, 1,879 died. What's that,  3% death rate? That figure includes a steep death rate early on which since January has declined much farther.

What is amazing is that these figures are freely available and updated every day.

Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of names:

My father was Arthur Wellington,

one brother was William Oliver (known as King, to me Uncle King),

another brother was John Paul,

his sister was either something Harriet or Harriet something; I never knew her other name.

And Arthur is my middle name.

• Like 15

Did someone say cake?

Thoroughly recommend Betty's to order some nice little cakes from.

Was going to buy a new TV today but no good deals around at the moment.

Shame as I've missed a £200 off code that ended just a couple of weeks ago :(  And another that was 10% off (although that ended in mid-March yet they're still advertising it!).

Meh, will wait.

New TV aerial ordered, so hopefully that'll be here this week and I can try and affix it to the homestead somehow.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, trisonic said:

2 hours ago, trisonic said:

The real culprit, however was WW1. Crowded troopships and unsanitary camps were the real problems.

Best, Pete.

This is absolutely true.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Bettys in Harrogate or York if i passed them when i used to go to either place with my Gran and Grandad he would laugh at the queue and say "look at the silly bu99ers queuing up to get robbed"

The days are definatley getting longer the street lamps didnt come on till 8 15.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Did someone say cake?

Thoroughly recommend Betty's to order some nice little cakes from.

Oh look....a snack....:laugh:

Bear managed to get the leccy work carried out (fitting of some new sockets) but the alarm sensor has been postponed until tomorrow;  I also plan to apply some grout protector/sealant to the floor - hopefully this will help fend off dirt and stains.  It has to be brushed onto the grout and not the tiles - boy am I glad I didn't decide to have mosaic tiles....

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has disappeared this evening, hopefully he wont be back for while. Have been sorting out the spare modelling junk room this evening, found a couple of models I'd forgotten I had. That calls for tea so time to put the kettle on.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Speaking of names:

My father was Arthur Wellington,

one brother was William Oliver (known as King, to me Uncle King),

another brother was John Paul,

his sister was either something Harriet or Harriet something; I never knew her other name.

And Arthur is my middle name.

You mean you aren't really Johan Sebastian...............well that's a shame...............

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12