The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening All,

Walk with SWMBO and Mil this morning/early afternoon and a dash home for the football. Snowed here most of the day but didn’t settle. Watched a film this evening and a bit of shed time last thing. Fitted replacement gear wheel but now there’s another problem but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

A good friend of mine’s parents moved to a static caravan and didn’t fully understand/read/comprehend their terms. They sold their house to buy the caravan and intended to live there permanently but in the end had to come home and live in a council flat. I think they had to replace their static caravan with a new one  every so many years but the budget wasn’t there.

Swmbo  and myself considered  a holiday home but in the end it never happened. Many reasons. By the time we could afford what we wanted time had moved on. We wanted something with two bedrooms so we could let family with children make use of it. I think SWMBO would worry about leaving a property un-occupied for large periods of the year.
In the last couple of years we’ve started using self catering accommodation due to my dietary needs as sometimes a holiday can be spoiled by having to worry about where the next GF meal will be coming from. I do prefer hotels for their convenience.

Goodnight

Robert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

I first encountered the "first name" + "family name" wording in a US visa application around 1984. I thought it comported well with the notion of separation of church and state and the idea that wording from officialdom should not imply anything other than the freedom of religion that is an issue in the term "Christian name", used in Australia at the time.

While there were many other funny aspects of the US visa application, like "Have you ever committed a crime of moral turpitude?" and the one about membership of the NASDP, I liked the use of "first name + middle name + family name". I found it sensible and pragmatic - particularly in an immigration context where simpler, clearer use of words is better. (It remains of course problematic with some Asian naming conventions.)

At some point, and I'm not sure when exactly, Australia moved to "given name" + "family name".

My son's grandfathers coincidentally shared a middle name - "Edward". This was an obvious choice for my son's middle name to create a familiar connection, while his first name is one his mother and I both preferred. His older brother (at one point, my stepson) on the other hand has his grandfather's name as his first name, but is called by his middle name. I find this particular naming approach confusing.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, trisonic said:

I wonder what HM The Queen thought of Trumps words. HRH Prince Philip as the savior of civilization (as he sees it) is certainly an interesting viewpoint

I didn't see any reference to that. Even when I did a cursory internet search none of the multiple news organizations (UK and US) reported on that aspect. Most of them quoted "dignity and grace" and "irreplaceable loss" which is the sort of mostly harmless stuff one expects in such statements of condolences.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Back in my HR days when I was doing recruitment (ugh) I used to play a game, in trying to imagine how candidates may look, then marking myself when they were interviewed.

As do many people in the HR/hiring community - sadly with some unintended (?) consequences based on experiments* where identical CVs are submitted with 'white sounding' versus 'other race' sounding names. The 'other race' sounding names were rejected at a substantially higher rate.

* US-based, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

Good morning one and all,

Up very, very early today. basically due to a combination of arthritis and having eaten a good portion of Easter egg yesterday. Not having eaten chocolate for a considerable while, eating so much chocolate in one sitting gave me a theobromine hit (theobromine can have similar effects to caffeine, meaning I went to bed after drinking the equivalent of three or four strong espressos). Of course, theobromine (an alkaloid) is toxic in a sufficiently large dose, as are all the plant alkaloids. In fact some of the most potent poisons around are plant alkaloids. Which is why I am a carnivore, hunting a steak dinner may carry a risk of death from an enraged herd of herbivores but the salad really, really wants to kill me.

I can live with resembling James Robertson justice, although before I lost the weight I have lost, I definitely resembled Orson Welles. Practically a doppelgänger in fact.

Sorry to hear that Dave Hunt’s father has had quite a time of it. It does sound like his dad will be carrying around quite a bit of scaffolding for the foreseeable future (assuming that some of the metalwork will be removed in due course). Let’s hope for a unremarkable recovery.

I regard orthopaedic surgery with equanimity, partly because I have undergone such surgery myself (with good outcomes) and partly because it is medicine at a macro level. Whereas much of oncology treatment nowadays involves affecting the intracellular pathways of malignant tissue: turning genes either on or off, interrupting cell signalling or taking advantage of a malignancy’s inherent weaknesses. In comparison, no matter how sophisticated the surgery and the mechanical constructs devised to support bones and joints, to an oncologist orthopaedic surgery is still, when you come down to it, hitting bits of the patient with a hammer.

Well, I’ve had a very early breakfast and a cup of coffee, so now I am going to doze a bit in my wingback chair and contemplate tonight’s dinner (roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and cauliflower cheese)

Have a great Sunday.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

My father's first name was William.  He very early on decided not to risk being called Willy, so used MacKenzie and was Mac to anyone who knew him. (MacKenzie was his mother's maiden name.)

I think the use of the second name may happen where the same first name crops up repeatedly in a school class. My mother said that there were quite a few Marys in hers.

The late Canadian singer John Allen Cameron had a brother named John Donald (and maybe others). The name was elided to JnAllen and JnDonald. It may have been regional.

• Like 16

6 hours ago, brianusa said:

...We know its here, we know how to keep it under control and we also know why it persists and unless certain people get the message, we shall be hearing it for months (years?) to come.  No - they'd rather go out in droves, boogie around and spread all their little covids over everyone.  Which is why it persists!

Brian

You could argue, contentiously, that we are doing a half-arsed job of dealing with the pandemic. I think that there are only two ways of really getting this pandemic over and done with.

The first is to lock down the country completely for a month. Everyone confined to their living quarters, no one allowed out (and transgressors severely and immediately punished with up to and including summary execution) and the borders shut to all traffic: commercial, public and private. It wouldn’t be pretty, there would be casualties and it would cost the economy a lot (Fatally?). But with the elimination of person to person contagion, once the infected had either died or recovered during this month of lockdown the country would be free of the virus (well, as far as these things can be eradicated). The problem is borders would have to be shut for considerably longer to prevent the importation of the disease from outside the country.  One plane load of infected and asymptomatic CoVID carriers and you are back to square one.

The other extreme is to say that people can do what they want, live their lives as they did pre-pandemic but indicate that there will be no treatment provided for individuals coming down with Covid and thus allow the disease to rip through the population, culling the elderly, infirm, the vulnerable and genitically susceptible. At the end of the pandemic, which would be relatively short lived, the remaining population would be resistant to disease.

Neither option is truly viable for many reasons on many levels. The first option is certainly doable in a totalitarian state (Including keeping borders shut after the pandemic has subsided internally); the second option would not be considered morally and ethically acceptable even in the most brutal dictatorship. Yet it was the latter option that brought all the pandemics that occurred before the 19th century to an end.

Food for thought?

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, trisonic said:

Hi, everybody, trust all is well, been a weird weekend so far to say the least. I wonder what HM The Queen thought of Trumps words. HRH Prince Philip as the savior of civilization (as he sees it) is certainly an interesting viewpoint So it's all downhill from now....

Some nice words there.  I wonder who wrote it for him?

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Up very, very early today. basically due to a combination of arthritis and having eaten a good portion of Easter egg yesterday.

Bear never had any Easter Eggs this year :cry:

In other news:

Bear will have a "touch up" day today :laugh:  No, I'm not gonna be doin' anything improper - I'll be attending to any little marks where the colour coat may have crept onto the ceiling coving.  We're talking very small marks here - most of which aren't even visible to most unless on a step-ladder - but Bear knows they are there, so go they must....

Then it'll be time to fit a couple of the new leccy sockets and refit the intruder alarm sensor into the kitchen and tune it for maximum effectiveness against marauding Hippo's seeking cake.....

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Morning all,

The short and the tall,

Been for a walk,

no time to talk,

Bitterly cold,

but then, I am getting old.

So feel it more, 

when I went out the door.:D

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and well. :dancer:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15

Back on to names, My Dad, was George Samuel Roy, but was only ever known as Roy to all and sundry. 

As for me, I have Trevor as a middle name, and no one knows where that came from, Mum and Dad didn't really know, and we have had NO Trevor's on either side of the family.

Apparently dad did want to call me Trevor Charles, but a couple of days later Mum realised it would mean me having TCP on my school satchel etc.:fie:

• Like 4
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good Morning,

Thoughts of food, databases and revised working hours are running riot in that chasm between my ears!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Dry and sunny, but cold here in North Somerset. Half an inch of rain yesterday evening which was very welcome news for Jonny the tub waterer. 

I see from the stats that the BBC2 average viewing figures on Friday evening were only 320,000 people; thus proving that although the passing of the monarch's husband is a sad time; the British viewing public does not want wall to wall looping obituaries. 

I saw Gardeners World yesterday evening, and Monty Don even admitted he planted some things in the wrong place and was digging them up. There is hope for us mere gardening mortals yet. 

I watched the Grand National and heard my horse mentioned once near the beginning, but never again. I assumed it must have fell at the second, so watched the re-run only to discover it was pulled up at fence 29 (out of 30). Must have been a game old thing to last that long, but probably so far behind that it was never in the camera shots. As I had no money on it, I don't mind. 

Doing very little today, as the grass is now too wet to cut; I am relieved of watering duties and the plants will be doing their own thing if the sun keeps shining. 

Now for some bacon and eggs. 

• Like 16

Morning All. Woke up this morning to shock horror, wait for it- drum roll please, snow. Yes I know the white stuff and not just a light coating of the stuff like last time. It won't last, he tells himself. Well it better hadn't as the Hound has to be walked. Strangely enough she is indifferent to snow which is weird as she doesn't like rain.

Ah well of to get me some breakfast, grapefruit and toast as you ask and to do the crossword.

Be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

David is actually my middle name; as a nipper I was generally called by my first name but when I started grammar school at the age of eleven there were two of us in the class with the same first name and surnames of Hunt and Lunt. After a few weeks our classmates decided that one of us had to change as it was getting confusing and they started using David, or Dave, for me. It stuck and I got used to it quite quickly so started introducing myself as Dave. Since then everyone except my parents knows me as Dave and even Dad refers to me when talking to others as such. Coincidentally, Jill is also SWMBO's middle name, her brother was known by his middle name and our elder son likewise.

I'm intrigued that Flávio has a mental image of me as being like Kenneth More. I wish......

Happy Sunday people.

Dave

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2