The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Could it be 

Bardia

Mechili

Derna

Or point 206

Granddad was involved with some of those battles, he was CSM 4th Royal Tank Regiment, before being promoted to RSM 7th Royal Tank Regiment.

But they are all to late in the war for my name...

• Like 11

ID, you speak well of your other half's holiday hovel!

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

One of the reasons I do not like holiday apartments (or farm houses, or villas or homes for that matter) it’s because I don’t think they really provide you with a holiday. When you get there, after a number of hours driving, you still end up doing all the things you have to do at home (cook, clean, make the beds, et cetera), so it really isn’t a holiday. I have nothing against a second homes per se, providing the second home has ALL the facilities, equipment and functionality of the main home. Something most holiday homes lack (Of course if you are wealthy enough to own a proper second home, then you are wealthy enough to have staff at both homes to keep them ticking over).

When he bought the 'holiday flat' in Shanklin, Dad proclaimed that we would not be there long enough to require a clothes washing machine. At the main home, we had a dishwasher! We respected his comment "I'm not going on holiday to wash the dishes!". The provisioned space was occupied by an Indesit Dish Washer for the 20 years we had the flat!

• Like 15

47 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Granddad was involved with some of those battles, he was CSM 4th Royal Tank Regiment, before being promoted to RSM 7th Royal Tank Regiment.

But they are all to late in the war for my name...

The first battle i can find is the attack on Fort Cappuzo

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have been and froze umpiring a game of cricket - others in the area were abandoned due to snow.. we played through it!  Luckily Beastie  quickly defrosted me using the heater, the heated seats and the heated steering wheel .... bliss!  I am now tired out but happy to have got a game in! I ma be a trifle stiff tomorrow though!

Our family goes through phases of calling fathers and sons the same thing.. James was very popular.....for about 200 years(!)having said that my mothers name Asenath was due to someone else in the family bearing the same name.. nope.. the nearest to that is Bersheba....

I have a Christian name.. but only the one... but hotels have booked me as O Barry.. that what you get with two names that can be first or second names..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

In my generation of my mum’s family there were 23 of us cousins. There wasn’t a single duplication of first names between us. 

Edited by pH
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Now young man this is not a criticism as I am in fact very impressed but surely the better way to have done that would have been to removed/disassembled the red sofa beforehand giving yourself more manoeuvring room for assembling the blue sofa.

The catch being that if you scrap the red 'un before building the blue 'un.....only then to discover a problem with the latter and the supplier then tells you it'll be six weeks before a replacement is available you're completely stuffed....

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

So as my over active brain has been churning over, I was thinking about all the ERs I have met and those I haven’t and I thought I would compile a short list of who I think these ER characters, who I have not met, would likely to resemble:

polybear = John Goodman

:laugh: :rofl:

Could be a lot worse.....he didn't do too bad in the film "King Ralph".......

image.png.42dd5ec0591b8abbb254c3022494a1d0.png

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

Thomas Firbank in his book "I Bought a Mountain" refers to the brothers: Lloyd George Kitty Maud Jones,  Vimy Ridge Kitty Maud Jones, Hill Sixty Kitty Maud Jones and Granville Cadwallader Kitty Maud Jones.  Apparently their sister was quite something and all the brothers were proud to be known by her suffix.

"This youth’s name is Lloyd George Kitty Maud Jones, Ffridd- y-Foel. He is tall, black-haired, with a hard, wiry body. He was christened Lloyd George Jones, and would ordinarily have been known as Lloyd George Ffridd-y- Foel in order to distinguish him from his namesake, the politician, who has a house at Criccieth. But in this case there is a famous sister, who quite outshines the politician. Rumour has it that she would have defeated Messalina in open competition, even as Messalina put Scylla to shame. There are three more brothers, proud to be known by the sister’s suffix. They are Vimy Ridge Kitty Maud Jones, Hill Sixty Kitty Maud Jones, and Granville Cadwallader Kitty Maud Jones."

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’m waiting for the saffron fruit buns I made to have their final rising, so currantly I am bored (“currantly“, geddit?)

So as my over active brain has been churning over, I was thinking about all the ERs I have met and those I haven’t and I thought I would compile a short list of who I think these ER characters, who I have not met, would likely to resemble:

Erichill 16 = Johnny Rotten (definitely)

polybear = John Goodman

TonyS = David Niven, perhaps

Happy Hippo = Gert Frobe

Dave Hunt = maybe Kenneth Moore?

Philj W = George Cole

(and your picturations????)

Of course, when you meet someone from ER in real life, the reality is so different from what you imagine, that it is almost shocking. For example, ChrisF I imagined as a railway modelling Matt Lucas, he is certainly not that in the flesh!

Well time to rub some melted butter on an assortment of firm buns. 

Enjoy the Evening

If you had said I resembled Ricky Tomlinson you would have been spot on. We have met electronically on the ER's Zoom meeting a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I don't know if Poly Bear was visiting the Southampton area today but there was a car parked in West End with the reg, "P G0 8EAR".

So THAT'S where the chauffer cleared off to all day......:angry:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

A detached part of 4th RTR, B Squadron, took part in the East African campaign in Eritrea in early 1941, taking part in the  battle of Agordat and the liberation of Keren.

And K is sometimes replaced with Q in North Africa/Arabia.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

he topic of given names evokes a strong reaction from me, having spent my childhood (late 50s/60s) in the UK bearing an untranslatable name, unlike my brother who was blessed with not one but three Christian names that translate well into all European languages (“Christian name” - now that’s a term you don’t hear any longer, one used to have a Surname and a Christian Name [presumably deriving from christening]. German just has name and vorname).

I have a Christian name and a Surname, having been baptised in C of E  years ago and shall stick with it!:yes:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

, who I have not met, would likely to resemble:

Erichill 16 = Johnny Rotten (definitely)

Not sure about that, I went to see Public Image whose lead ‘singer’ is John Lyndon (aka Johnny Rotten)  a couple of years ago and nobody there asked for my autograph.  
I’m still trying to work out if the comparison is a complement or not.

• Like 4
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

think yesterday was the first time in 12 months that the BBC News at 10pm did not mention any of the usual Covid statistics.

Now thats one thing that gets too much coverage!  Covid in the morning, at noon and in the evening and possibly all night long.  We know its here, we know how to keep it under control and we also know why it persists and unless certain people get the message, we shall be hearing it for months (years?) to come.  No - they'd rather go out in droves, boogie around and spread all their little covids over everyone.  Which is why it persists!

Brian

• Like 5
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Thai meal had with Jayne, pleasant nosh.

I have William as a second given name, a family name from father and grandfather.  Still not a Christian name though.  I find that to be rather assumptive, that one should be a Christian.  There's a lot of other folk in the world.

Picturisations?  iD = James Robertson Justice.  Dave Hunt = Terry Thomas.  The Q = Q.  You need to be a trekkie.

Back in my HR days when I was doing recruitment (ugh) I used to play a game, in trying to imagine how candidates may look, then marking myself when they were interviewed.  (Mostly doctors).  30% success rate! 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. As I said the actor/celebrity I most resemble is Ricky Tomlinson. Lets turn Flavio's list around and tell which well known personage you think you resemble the most.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. As I said the actor/celebrity I most resemble is Ricky Tomlinson. Lets turn Flavio's list around and tell which well known personage you think you resemble the most.

Well once a woman commented that I looked like Tom Cruise but I’ve not heard anyone else make that comment since, probably because I’m quite a bit taller than him.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

Well just like the late Terry Wogan, I too look remarkably like George Clooney in his younger days.............................except I have a beard and currently quite long hair.....................................I'm also taller than him..................................oh and probably close to twice his weight...............................but other wise like identical twins.

I don't have a middle name, very few people know my real first name and my surname is almost unpronounceable.

With that

G'night all.

• Like 7
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Never actually done any geneaology but was/still am rather impressed with maternal Grandmother's maiden name of Bowskill-Iredale.  Currently part of my surname is that of SWMBOs family, relatives have lived in the same house 400 odd years and a previous generation built a well known pub next door in Staffordshire, and the other relates to a 'sailer' and also a particular England cricket captain or so I am told. Some first cousins once removed are descendants of Nelson (so not mine).

Where did that come from?  In younger days someone likened me to Kenneth Moore but then I had  hair and a beard.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 14