The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good afternoon from the last day of early finishes (to date!)

Firstly, Best Wishes to @gordon s for a good recovery.

Then, what was becoming inevitable (but, nonetheless, still a shock!), RIP Prince Philip.

To more mundane business, culinary fare:

On 08/04/2021 at 06:52, chrisf said:

Ahead of me lies the need to make a batch of beef mince in supermarket own brand pasta sauce with onions and mushrooms and a shake of Worcestershire sauce.

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

Ready hard boiled eggs indeed!  Bear’s discovery makes me even more convinced that some people will buy anything.  It is bad enough having ready washed lettuce leaves and ready sliced apples, about which I have been cussing for years.  No doubt those who take our money with such glee are working on pre-digested food or something equally revolting.  Do those who buy this stuff not realise that they are paying through the nose for it?  It seems paradoxical that the more convenience food is available, and I use the term with good reason, the more time on TV is taken up with cookery programmes of one sort or another.

With all due respect, Chris, take gun, aim at foot, pull trigger!

Pasta sauce - tin of Tesco's economy peeled Italian tomatoes mixed with, maybe, some cornflour for thickening, then season to taste with whatever takes your fancy.

On 08/04/2021 at 06:52, chrisf said:

She does give a recipe for rissoles though.  That takes me back!  Week after week my mother used to put the mincer together and feed chunks of cold roast leftovers into it.  With a few magic ingredients she would produce something very tasty and most economical which her wayward son, me, would plaster with ketchup.  I think of bygones like that whenever there is something on the news about the amount of food wasted.   I am still horrified when I see frozen bubble and squeak on sale in supermarkets.  Is that dish not the very essence of recycling?  A few years ago I stayed in a hotel near Southampton and was both surprised and delighted to find that breakfast was served with the option of bubble and squeak.  I rather fear that it came from a packet via the microwave.

Rissoles and Bubble and Squeak - fond memories! How do the factories gather the leftovers to make these properly?

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The restaurant trade uses a lot of this sort of thing. For a small restaurant on a limited staff budget they can either pay the staff to cook or to prep, so buying ready prepped items allows small restaurants to use their staff for cooking food (instead of preparing it) and thus be able to make a small profit (something even more difficult nowadays).

Tetrabriks of ready-for-scrambling eggs have already ben mentioned on this forum, IIRC! Usually cooked 'off stage' but cooked in the breakfast room at one of our frequently-used hotels in Chur! Only snag is that the mix in the carton may have been past-your-eyes'd! Instant appeal for Groan Button, hat, coat etc., you're all familiar with / guilty of the Drill! :jester:

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 16

Greetings all from Sidcup where there are patches of blue among the grey.

I have been using my time off clearing some of the gutters, interrupting it to deal with some work emails; we have to make a tax payment before I am due back and I need to sign off on it!

sad to see Phil the Greek go; another few months and he could have got a telegram from his Mrs. She’ll miss him.

we watched a comedy show on zoom last night in aid of Tusk, a charity Mrs Lurker supports. It was quite fun and a bit different.

have a good day and hope those who are working manage to POETS

• Like 19

Good Afternoon all 

What a strange but sad day this is turning out to be.

I never finished my Gold DofE badge due to A levels but enjoyed Bronze and Silver which i did through Cadets.

Why is it that whenever some one mentions Tusks or even the odious Donald Tusk i always think of the marching band on the Fleetwood Mac video of Tusk.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Is it worth switching on the news or reading a newspaper for the next few weeks? Not that I read much of the newspapers (crosswords/sudoku) or watch much TV news (except for the weather) anyway. I'm neither one way or the other about the royal family but we could do worse. I was in Tesco's when the news was announced and didn't hear about it until I heard it on the car radio.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear would consider himself to be kinda "middle of the road" when it comes to the Royal Family (in practice I'd much rather have them than not).  Personally I'd rate Prince Phillip as one of the best ones - I would have shared a LDC with him anytime (that's one of my own LDC's, by the way).  RIP

Puppers takes the same view.   No system is perfect but, I think the current Sovereign has done an outstanding job, aided and supported, as is so often said, by HRH Prince Philip.    Given his great age it is inevitable but still sad - RIP

24 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

If you think the media are milking it yet just wait till Harry comes home. It will probably get worse then we will get speculation wether HM will abdicate or carry on 

Now that is something I can wait for!    If they could just hold off for say 30 years that will suit Puppers fine.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

:butcher: HRH Prince Phillip. 

Repeated treasonable behaviour? Now that is something I never expected. 

Here is the official Buckingham Palace announcement from earlier today - 

"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

Further announcements will made in due course.

The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss."

Someone is incorrect, and it will be 'off with the head' of the person found to be in error. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Just a little reminder, its Phillip with two L's.

I was brought up that that first name Philip was 1xl and the surname was 2 x l.

Two (h)ells as in Allison for a first name  was told that it came into being because FiL was drunk on registering the birth so for me Alison ... is the correct first name way and Allison for surname.

One of the great problems in recent years with student names was that so many of them were incorrectly spelt and caused no end of problems not to mention others with such long names that the official proper name was spelt one way, they registered as students with only part of the name and on class registers with yet another different name and then were not happy when they received their certificates. 

On reflection I think this registers as a rant!.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

I was brought up that that first name Philip was 1xl and the surname was 2 x l.

It can be spelt either way, my name is spelt with two L's. That is referred to as the 'royal' way of spelling it as thats the way the royals always spell it.

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Repeated treasonable behaviour? Now that is something I never expected. 

Here is the official Buckingham Palace announcement from earlier today - 

"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

Further announcements will made in due course.

The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss."

Someone is incorrect, and it will be 'off with the head' of the person found to be in error. 

Its the official announcement that is wrong, it should be two L's.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3