The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On WhiskEy:

45 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have absolutely no objection to the consumption of alcohol though I used to prefer red wine or Belgian beers. For some reason my sense of smell/taste makes peaty whisky smell like compost to me so making it not something I choose to drink. However since I had what was later diagnosed as a heart attack and started loads of medication I just haven’t really fancied any alcoholic drinks. We did have some English sparkling wine at Christmas that was a present from our nephew but apart from that nothing really. I did expect to perhaps see a weight loss from not drinking red wine but none really occurred. However since starting diabetic medication (a slow release Metformin) in February  I have lost quite a bit of weight.  After the stent procedure the cardiologist suggested I should lose 10kg by Summer 2021. I am 75% there now. 

I appreciate that this may not be a wise suggestion in your current circumstances, but if you don't like the peaty smell / taste, try something like Bush Mills Single Malt from Eire (hence the 'E' above!); much smoother on the palette!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I put the bin bags out last night, they are still there now. I had forgotten that they are running a day late due to the bank holiday. :banghead:At least they haven't attracted the attention of the local cats and foxes. I haven't drunk anything alcoholic for a long time, usually only at Christmas but for the last two I haven't touched a drop. Mind you the drinks cabinet is well stocked but hasn't been opened for gawd knows how long.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

That may work for Bears hungering for Rabbit, but if you put a "use by date" from 1995 on a LDC would it deter a P.Bear?

Perhaps he likes LDC with a crust?:jester:

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

On WhiskEy:

I appreciate that this may not be a wise suggestion in your current circumstances, but if you don't like the peaty smell / taste, try something like Bush Mills Single Malt from Eire (hence the 'E' above!); much smoother on the palette!

To avoid unpleasant tastes I do prefer Bushmills. Even with blended spirits I prefer Jameson’s.  Both go well with Clonakilty black pudding. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does it look ok? Does it smell ok? Will it break Bear's teeth? Does it taste ok.....

Oh sod it....Just scoff it.....

Does the mould growing on it affect the taste?

• Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Many thanks -do you happen to know what make/model of sink you have please?  Bear is looking at Blanco silgranit (in a dark colour), or maybe one of their stainless jobbies.

That is what puts Bear off a ceramic sink, though I'm very careful and most work will now be done by the dishwasher - when I buy it..

I'm afraid I can't remember, sorry!

We bought our kitchen from Homebase, at the time my wife worked for Argos (same group)

so we got a decent discount (30%!). I do remember that it was a good brand, and was over

£150, and that was 15 years ago!

Blanco is a good make, you won't go far wrong with their products.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

3 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

On WhiskEy:

That said, the Bushmills distillery is not in Eire but Northern Ireland!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Blue cheese is very nice.   It might work for LDC .......

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

No idea - LDC never lasts long enough in this house to go mouldy....:laugh:

In other news:

Bear's Laptop is now fixed (I hope) :yahoo:

More painting tomorrow - I might actually get the walls finished, if I do both coats on the same day.

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

The extended  family once rented a largish villa in Italy in October and the villa came with a pool. It was in October and the weather wasn’t particularly good but as we rented a villa with a pool I was definitely going to get my money’s worth. It was bl00dy freezing and I was the only one to participate, the others hadn’t had enough Dutch courage.

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

14 hours ago, chrisf said:

head of me lies the need to make a batch of beef mince in supermarket own brand pasta sauce with onions and mushrooms and a shake of Worcestershire sauce.  The result can be served on a bed of rice or within a ring of mashed potato.  I'm not sure where the recipe originsted but in the ring binder with a picture of Desperate Dan on the front is a typewritten sheet headed "Beef rice peasant style" that may have provided the inspiration back in the dim and distant. 

A staple in my single days except in those times it was ground chuck (hamburger beef) and tomato sauce.  So long ago I'd almost forgotten about it but it was soul food; easy to prepare - toss it all in a fry pan, it always tasted good.;)

Brian.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Adam88 said:

That said, the Bushmills distillery is not in Eire but Northern Ireland!

I did know that. The name of the Irish state should be written as Ireland when using English. “Éire”  should only be used if you are writing/speaking in Irish. 
Edit added fada

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6