The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning world.

7c and fine rain here, rainfall radar says dry, Tank out there working disagrees.

Pan Yan is a parental unit memory for me too, I think Branston did for it.  I didn't like pickle when a bear cub so don't recall the taste, I love Branston on cheese sandwiches now though.

The day will mostly be spent driving the washing machine, woe is me.

• Like 19

11 hours ago, polybear said:

In other news:

Do any fellow ER'ers possess a Granite Composite Kitchen Sink by any chance?  If so, would you have another?  Bear has to decide between one of those (which appear to have Marmite reviews on the 'net) or a decent stainless jobbie (though inevitable scratches will bug Bear).  Decisions, decisions....

I fitted a Composite kitchen sink about 15 years ago, when I did my kitchen, it still cleans up like new, no scratches, no burn marks, no chips, very impressed.

Wouldn't go back to stainless now!

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, polybear said:

In other news:

Do any fellow ER'ers possess a Granite Composite Kitchen Sink by any chance?  If so, would you have another?  Bear has to decide between one of those (which appear to have Marmite reviews on the 'net) or a decent stainless jobbie (though inevitable scratches will bug Bear).  Decisions, decisions....

Sorry Bear, missed this. We had one in the old kitchen. Must have been fairly cheap like most of the kitchen was when we moved in. It took a lot of Barkeeper's Friend to remove curry stains from it. When we replaced the kitchen the decision was made to get a ceramic "Dublin" sink instead. That was a very good decision. Don't think I'd risk having another composite one. Although the new(ish) countertops are composite quartz and clean up easily. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Sorry Bear, missed this. We had one in the old kitchen. Must have been fairly cheap like most of the kitchen was when we moved in. It took a lot of Barkeeper's Friend to remove curry stains from it. When we replaced the kitchen the decision was made to get a ceramic "Dublin" sink instead. That was a very good decision. Don't think I'd risk having another composite one. Although the new(ish) countertops are composite quartz and clean up easily. 

Wouldn't touch a ceramic sink, too easily chipped, I've replaced quite a few for customers

that have got cracked (dropping pans etc)

Also, don't get the decent composite ones confused with the cheaper plastic versions, they

do stain, they also tend to crack around the waste hole.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, polybear said:

In other news:

Granite composition sink no but worktop yes - a quality stainless steel sink ideal.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Dry with sunny spells in North Somerset. 

Washing now out on the line. I inherited my father's distaste for vinegar so most pickles, chutneys are a no-no for me. 

When I worked near Birmingham, I occasionally frequented the Sutton Coldfield Waitrose. This was where (it was said) all the local footballers' wives or au-pairs used to shop. Certainly the car park was full of very expensive looking motors with personalised numberplate; so much so that I parked my 10 year old Mondeo in the farthest corner, so as to not take any chances with specks of rust drifting across from my transport. 

It was very expensive inside as well. There were whole Parma Hams for sale for a price I could not even dream of spending on anything, and a very large selection of champagnes. 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

And wearing the skimpiest of bathing attire when so doing! :huh:  A trip down A1A along Ft. Lauderdale beach proves that.

PS: Some of those mentioned above should remain fully clothed! :bad:

Photographic evidence?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

Good afternoon from the penultimate day of double day shifts!

6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Swimming pools in February. Takes me back. We used to spend the odd weekend in Banff in the winter just for something different. Only a 90 min drive but a world away. The hotel we preferred had a 12 month heated outdoor pool. Even at -38c we'd go outside, swim about until our hair froze, roll around in snow, swim some more, then head to the sauna. 

Thought the roll in the snow usually followed the sauna!

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

On the way in (no pheasants were involved) I spotted a really strange piece of driving , as a BMW approached a roundabout on a dual carriage way it made a definite move to put the white line between lanes, down the middle of the car. At the next roundabout it did it again.. most odd..

Google found this for me:

image.png.b2db96116662ce4bf2f310759fbe868a.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BlackRat said:

One becomes accustomed to the wind, which down ere finds places that other winds do not.

Must be something in the pasties ;) 

Not for nothing do we have Coldwind Cross in that part of the world.  And indeed Boxheater though it never seems to be any warmer up there than elsewhere!  

• Like 13
  • Funny 3

Greetings all from Sidcup where I have a day off work and it is grey and cloudy to celebrate!

not a lot happening today although I did go a walk with Younger Lurker.

depending on the weather I will undertake some outdoor chores tomorrow.

have a good day 

• Like 18

16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I mentioned use by dates recently.

image.png.7600671a8a64c0e8ca4eecce7abc71e7.png

That may work for Bears hungering for Rabbit, but if you put a "use by date" from 1995 on a LDC would it deter a P.Bear?

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

......I am still horrified when I see frozen bubble and squeak on sale in supermarkets.  Is that dish not the very essence of recycling? 

Most definitely. Presumably, frozen bubble-and-squeak was created for those (pre-pandemic) who were either "cash-rich/time poor", an incompetent cook or just plain b.......-lazy.

On a tangential note: in a supermarket I once read - purely out of curiosity - the instructions on a packet of "ready made spaghetti carbonara" - it would have taken longer than doing it from scratch.

5 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

I fitted a Composite kitchen sink about 15 years ago, when I did my kitchen, it still cleans up like new, no scratches, no burn marks, no chips, very impressed.

Wouldn't go back to stainless now!

When we moved into the house, we redid the kitchen and I installed stainless steel worktops and sink. They are OK, but as they are items produced for the domestic market, not a patch on the pro worktops I've had the pleasure of using the few times I've worked in a professional kitchen (helping out a friend-of-a-friend)

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

....I am sure Aditi is aware of the expensive champagne as she used champagne or whisky to get the minimum order up to £60 (now £40) to reserve delivery slots. Unlike some people she was organised enough to replace them with more everyday items nearer delivery time...

Why?

Why replace the Champagne? Churchill said of it "In victory I deserve it. In defeat I need it". 

Mind you, Champagne is an oenological minefield. Some inexpensive Champagne is sublime; some expensive [and well known brands] barely passable.  As you would expect from a seasoned Gastronaut, I do have a "house" Champagne and a "house" Crémant. The former is very inexpensive, but superb, from a small vinyard with limited production (and, no, I'm not saying who, production is very small) and the Crémant is only available in Switzerland.

Of course, the dilemma facing anyone opening a bottle of Champagne or Crémant, is what to do with the leftovers (Mrs iD and I rarely drink more than half-a-bottle) and there a Champagne (or Crémant) risotto is the solution, just before the risotto has finished cooking, ladles of stiock are replaced by glugs of Champagne/Crémant. Delicious and an utter luxury!

One other thought, Tony, surely single-malt whisky should be a weekly grocery staple along with butter, cheese, eggs and milk?

• Like 13

17 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear still remembers Saturday Afternoon Wrestling on "The World of Sport" - anyone going up against either Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks (boy, was he an animal...) ended up of the receiving end of "The Splash".  I hope they were getting paid a lot, cos' they very rarely got up after one of those.

In other news:

One year the wrestling came to Pontefract Town hall  me mum and grandad went it was brilliant  they were all there Big Daddy,Giant Haystacks, fit finlay, kendo Nagasaki 

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1