The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

And its another glorious start for the day, although it looks like we've had some frost, but I'll check on that when I go form my Walkies.

Yesterday its was Sun, Snow, Sun, Snow, etc all day, but we did a run to the Garden Centre to look at Sumerhouse, and it was bright and warm whilst out, if not a little LOT chillier than it looked. 

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and well, and keep smiling, it might only be wind.:dancer:

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

My brother has recently joined a building firm as Plumbing Manager and got sent to a site where there had been complaints about smells from the drains. After some investigation he discovered that when the downstairs loo was flushed, nothing appeared in the manhole outside. After digging though a load of smelly sh!t outside he found the soil pipe went outside for a couple of inches but then the three foot gap to the manhole had never been completed. It was a good job he was able to put the blame on his predecessor - in fact that's not the only job where he's had to sort out problems - another was a number of leaks in underfloor heating that all had to be ripped out and replaced so any profit on building that house went on repairs.

That is probably why your brother is 'newly appointed' as his predecessors 'errors in judgement' were beginning to catch up on him and a quick departure from the scene of crime was called for.

• Like 3
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear notes that the vaccination rate appears to have dropped right off - on 20 March it was 752,000, on 5th April it was 40,700.  I wonder why?  Vaccine shortage?  Lack of staff?  People not bothering now that we are into the lower age groups?

That's first dosers only, add in the number of second dosers and the vaccination rate is still near enough the same.

The total number will start increasing again now the Moderna vaccine is being rolled out.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Looks like the forum software needs a good kicking. At the same time Lurker double posted my post took several minutes before the page refreshed. Oh well. 

When that happens I click on refresh. It means that you have to then clear the editor and then refresh again before leaving the thread to make everything as it should be. If you let things run their course it still remains in the editor until you clear it.

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

It seems that Mr. Amazon has found a conscience at last:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56657596

Any predictions as to whether or not he'll start to pay his fair share in the UK though....:no:

This might have something to do with it.

https://www.ft.com/content/f17a406e-021a-11ea-b7bc-f3fa4e77dd47

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Any predictions as to whether or not he'll start to pay his fair share in the UK though....:no:

Bear's visitor arrived at 0910, so that disruption was quickly out of the way.  Spent some time fighting with an Amazon Smart Plug that normally lives in the shed for the purposes of controlling the outdoor water feature; it'd flipped out and was refusing to "pair" with the Alexa unit.  Eventually got that resolved (after plenty of new words), only to discover it didn't want to play when installed in the shed - but was fine in the house.  Bear suspects that the new Plusnet Router provided when I went over to fibre broadband doesn't provide the same wifi signal strength as the old router.  Turdycurses.

No painting started - after din dins is the plan now.

the higher US tax rates drove a large proportion of the shadier side of tax planning for many years. It was the ability of US companies to trap reserves in low rate countries and reinvest the reserves and so avoid US tax, coupled with the ability to book value generating intangibles offshore that drove much of this. The high US headline tax rate (35% plus state taxes of up to 10%) meant that there was an incentive to keep funds offshore and to invest in projects/production sites offshore. The Trump reforms were intended to make America great by making it much harder to keep funds offshore (and having a one off repatriation tax) while at the same time lowering the headline rate - the classic lower the tax rate but widen the tax base. There were also incentives to produce in the US (FDII) and to capture tax incomes from overseas (GILTI).

The Biden proposals undo quite a lot of this, as well as seeking to up the tax rate. Unfortunately for Biden he does not have a senate majority and one of the democrats has said that he will not accept a 28% headline rate (although 25% would work for him). There are thought to be 7 or 8 other Democrat senators equally unhappy. To actually push reform through without a "budget reconciliation process" I think there needs to be a 60-40 vote. So not only do they have to persuade their own crew they need about 10 Republicans to come on board. The budget reconciliation process is normally limited to once a year but the Democrats have persuaded the powers that be to allow them 3 goes this year. But they still need a majority

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear's visitor arrived at 0910, so that disruption was quickly out of the way.  Spent some time fighting with an Amazon Smart Plug that normally lives in the shed for the purposes of controlling the outdoor water feature; it'd flipped out and was refusing to "pair" with the Alexa unit.  Eventually got that resolved (after plenty of new words), only to discover it didn't want to play when installed ihn the shed - but was fine in the house.  Bear suspects that the new Plusnet Router provided when I went over to fibre broadband doesn't provide the same wifi signal strength as the old router.  Turdycurses.

No painting started - after din dins is the plan now.

As you pointed out that is the great U S of A and not us poor plebs of the old world.

Interestingly I note that he says he's all for an increase but not clear on whether he thinks the tax they are currently paying is correct. Interesting semantics.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Wlak has been completed. Items have been posted. 

Growler has been bought.. toad in the hole for tea made with Dragon Sausafe.

@Coombe Barton.. didn't read or see of a plan for students.. no doubt DrEldest Herbert will tell us tonight.

I think that Mr Bee Zos will still not pay tax here.. notice that Mr Biden is threatening action if we set to and have an on line point of sale tax... lets jdi....

Baz

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@Coombe Barton.. didn't read or see of a plan for students.. no doubt DrEldest Herbert will tell us tonight.

There isn't one. Or at least it's unchanged since 3rd March

There is a letter to the PM from universities UK asking for clarity.

Two thirds of our students want to remain online.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1