The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all. Just dipped my toes into the waters RMweb while I carry out my ablutions,that's a shave and a shower to you lot.

Then it will be out into the desolute, snow covered plains of Manucopia dragging a reluctant hound behind me to collect the morning paper. Think of me as I struggle through the 0.5 cm, that's 1/8 th " to the oldsters amongst us, of snow.

• Friendly/supportive 16

43 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear did mean to mention that an alternative to filling screw holes before re-drilling is to coat a matchstick (or even two - perhaps tapering them slightly if needed) in wood glue and tap into the hole.  Leave until dry and then re-drill.  Often easier than trying to fill a hole all the way to the bottom.

I have used the matchstick in a screw hole quite a few times if a screw doesn’t ‘bite’, but never thought about adding the wood glue.  I will remember that for future use.

Looks like a fine day so far, but is forecast to be cold and very windy.  I don’t think I will be going far, and may have to resort to decorating today.  The spare bedroom ceiling needs to be done now that all the prep work has been done.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot of trouble from Arthur Itis this morning. Just the usual stiffness and odd ache when I first got up this morning. However his mate Si Attica jumped in when I least expected it. I was bending over to empty the washing machine at the time, I just managed to complete the task and then get upstairs to stretch out on the bed for fifteen minutes. Its still aching a bit but I can feel the nurofen doing its bit now. No snow here yet and we might not get any. Very windy first thing this morning and the wind has deposited a new, empty black sack on my patio. Handy as I will retrieve it and use it to collect any other rubbish that the wind has left behind. Task for today is to move all the stuff removed from the brick shed somewhere else as it conceals the leaky radiator that has caused all the heating problems. Problem is that there is not much space to put it all, the shed has somehow filled up again.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, BSW01 said:

One way to try and find out what is causing them tripping, is to turn everything off and then switch each item on individually until one causes it to trip. 

Agreed - trouble is I've been there, done that, even with everything I can see unplugged and/or turned off, it still trips. Logic suggests I've missed something. But we've been round several times, all sockets clear. Boiler switched off. Checked cupboards in case there's a hidden socket/switch somewhere. Can't see anything. The garage and outside are on a separate circuit (which doesn't trip). So I'm getting a touch "arrrgh :banghead:...".  

Morning all. Blue skies but a very cold wind. No snow just yet. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
weather report
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Well its twenty to 11, the BBC still say we have Snow due at 11, and its turned into a glorious morning here now. Its still pretty cold, but the Sun is streaming into the lounge and the heating is off.

I knew the BBC could not be relied on to tell the truth.:o

Almost 11 and time for coffee and Black Forest Gateau. well it is a Bank Holiday, after all.:D

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

57 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Agreed - trouble is I've been there, done that, even with everything I can see unplugged and/or turned off, it still trips. Logic suggests I've missed something. But we've been round several times, all sockets clear. Boiler switched off. Checked cupboards in case there's a hidden socket/switch somewhere. Can't see anything. The garage and outside are on a separate circuit (which doesn't trip). So I'm getting a touch "arrrgh :banghead:...".  

How old is the cable, if it's solid core plastic insulated, it's unlikely to be the cable, but I have seen screws work lose on the back of a socket causing heat damage by arcing. Also the items you plug in, check the wires in those too, again wires can come lose and cause a short to earth, even if the socket is switched off as you are only switching the live wire off.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

55 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Depending on your competencies, it might be worth measuring to see if there's any voltage across E/N. Assuming a usual TNC or TNCS system there should be no measurable potential difference. As well as detecting stray residual current, an RCD will also trip if there is a measurable potential difference of about 2V (iirc) between N/E.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. No sign of the wet or white stuff but its still blowing cold. I've managed to put Si Attica back in his box, hopefully he will stay there. Off to Tess Coes shortly for a few essentials, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Up quite early for a change this morning, but certain important tasks got in the way of my posting earlier. No snow or rain here, but it was cold, 1C when I got up currently 4C. 

Anyway, currently taking a break in the sunshine, sat on the bench under the workshop window with a muggertea. More path removal taking place, hopefully by the end of the day I'll have done another 6ft or so. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The not unplugged may be concealing the fault.

If it's still plugged in but is switched off, the neutral is still connected to the supply and the fault could be a neutral to earth fault. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Currently blowing 40mph north Easterly, sunshine and scattered showers, except when I go out..

First trip out it was snowing,  last trip out with Ben the I'm fine down here sheltered by the earth bank Collie, I got caught by a horizontal hail storm.

Two layers of shelving installed with very expensive Collie models now on it.  More shelving painted, more shelving situations approved by domestic authorities..

I tried to drill holes for the jockey wheel attachment bracket.. I don't know what steel he used for the main chassis bars but it ate my 10mm drill bits and several smaller pilot hole sized bits, and I haven't completed one hole yet., The quality ones I bought a couple of weeks ago are 14mm upwards. I've ordered a set of top quality cobalt drill bits 1 mm to 13 mm ouch that was expensive.

When I finish my muggacoffee I'm going for a long soak in the bath. 4 days of physical work is painful wear on the body.

Bye for now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16