The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

P.S. We discovered the problem was a cleaner plugging in to a five amp fused circuit meant only for chargers

Bear was talking to his buddy on the phone last night - he bought his bench top milling machine from the estate of a guy that had it in his front room (aka his workshop...) - the power was via a flex up to the the light pendant....

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Electrics RCDs tripping.

Is it if any sub district is switched on?

If so it could be, the RCD itself , they do occasionally fail.

Something else in the distribution unit itself, such as dampness or a sagging bare wire.

Or an outside chance, a fault in the supply.

If it's in a single district, similar.

Dampness in the wiring,

A wiring fault probably in a socket for lights or power where a wire has slowly sagged so now it touches and fails.

A fried mouse in the works, as I found in a splitter box for lighting once.

I tracked the fault in mine down to the downstairs ring main. This includes the boiler but the fault probably lies elsewhere, as the circuit still trips when the boiler is switched off. And either it also affects the upstairs sockets as well or there's a separate problem affecting them. Trying to use them doesn't cause the RCD to trip but they don't work. It's very strange as things worked fine two days ago, then suddenly (without any external factors or obvious changes or explanation being applied) - not. 

Tried getting hold of a sparky for next week but was quoted extortionate prices. Back on the phone Tuesday... 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot anything today, the G word was intended but the hay fever struck again. Probably be no pollen tomorrow but it will most certainly not be gardening weather. Plenty to do though as I have to clear the stuff away from the radiator that needs removing. Dinner has been eaten, grilled sea bass with just green veg, no spuds. Time to put the kettle on, be back later. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I tracked the fault in mine down to the downstairs ring main. This includes the boiler but the fault probably lies elsewhere, as the circuit still trips when the boiler is switched off. And either it also affects the upstairs sockets as well or there's a separate problem affecting them. Trying to use them doesn't cause the RCD to trip but they don't work. It's very strange as things worked fine two days ago, then suddenly (without any external factors or obvious changes or explanation being applied) - not. 

Tried getting hold of a sparky for next week but was quoted extortionate prices. Back on the phone Tuesday... 

One way to try and find out what is causing thee tripping, is to turn everything off and then switch each item on individually until one causes it to trip. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:
11 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Are the shops open on Easter Sunday? 

I thought only small corner shops were allowed to open. 

Smaller shops employing fewer than 20 staff and below a certain floor size may open.   Specifically supermarkets and large department stores (remember department stores? ;)  ) must remain closed

Wouldn't work over here!:declare:

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

Awoken at just before 04:00, by an increasing wind, just after 04:00, it really hit, hammering with rain and later hail on the windows.

I'll try for more sleep shortly to see if I can increase the 5.5 hours so far.

Forepaws complaining of the change in weather as well as being tired over 3 days manual work.

I'm getting quiet irritated by this spell chucker, it's getting very presumptuous in changing correct words. For instance it changed hail to nail.

Shelving, an area above a radiator cover in the hallway, and an area above some clothing drawers in the bed room have been identified for further bookshelves. The hallway shelves will necessarily, be shallow, only six inches deep.

Plans for today,

More shelving, more trailer work, plan the two new shelving units.

But first,

Time to Switch off this gadget and try for more sleep.

• Like 19

8 hours ago, brianusa said:

Wouldn't work over here!

There is a large chain of one stop, retail box stores (largely serving rural communities) that was closed all day for Easter Sunday. So was a chain of take and bake pizza shops, but you are correct that these are exceptions and uncommon. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is a large chain of one stop, retail box stores (largely serving rural communities) that was closed all day for Easter Sunday. So was a chain of take and bake pizza shops, but you are correct that these are exceptions and uncommon. 

Shops were  all shut here, except bottleshops apparently.

Tis a thirsty land.

And the Sydney Easter Show is on but has a daily limit of 60,000 people in case of covid. How brilliant our track and trace guys must be.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Ben the I want out Collie has just dragged me reluctantly out. Darn chilly in the wind, the daffs are lying near horizontal, at least it wasn't raining.

Looking at the weather radar, the first light wave of rain is now over Gwiwer's residence, but there is a heavier  lump of weather about to hit here, it's currently blowing 47mph.

When I've warmed up, the fire will be woken for the morning, and a muggacoffee made..

• Like 19