The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, pH said:

Here, that would be described as a ‘tandem garage’.

That is the term used in some UK documents however a web search reveals that while one local authority is happy to accept a tandem garage they only classify it as a single parking space despite the fact that if it excedds 12m x 3m it is large to physically provide two parking spaces.  

Incidentally some authorities require one parking space per bedroom within the curtilage of the property.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

As I said no one claimed the money I found. I have my suspicions though it was one of the builders doing work on the building at the time. They were sub contractors and at the time many subbies were on what was known as 'the lump', paid cash in hand without the tax man being involved. I don't know how much £60 in 1979 would be the equivalent today but it was a lot of money back then.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

My Pfizer shot experience was quite uneventful, My appointment was for 1040 but I got there at 0951. They gave me a form to fill out and directed me to a parking lot to fill it out. When done, I was told to "follow the traffic cones" to the tent. There were no cars in front of me so I got my shot without any waiting (the National Guard was doing the administering) and was then directed to the fifteen minute "wait-and-see-if-anything-happens"* parking area. It was 1011 and I left at 1027. I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency demonstrated both this time and when I got the first shot three weeks ago, again very little waiting as there were only two cars in front of me then.

PS: The catfish!!!! at lunch was really good today plus I celebrated by having a slice of pecan pie! 

*the dictionary suggested "wait-and-see-if-yachting-happens"! Yachting?????

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

My first Pfizer shot was scheduled for 13.40 at the local pharmacy tomorrow. At 13.19 today I received a phone call for another pharmacy saying that they had been advised that the original pharmacy had run out of vaccine and that they were to do "the jab". I asked when and they said to just  pop in this afternnon. Being local I  presented myself  at this pharmacy at 21 minutes later at 13.40. Of course the fact that I did not have an appointment caused consternation but I am pleased to report that I was back in my car by 14.00 having received my  first shot. Lesson learned (again) : Nobody in Canada can organise a p**s up in a brewery not just because they have no beer but because they hav'nt even built the brewery !!!!

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Cold, chilly, windy, overcast, as you can tell, Ben the demanding Collie, wanted out. There are large amounts of feathers blowing around out there, something avian didn't make it through the night.

Time for a muggacoffee to warm up.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Back in the mid-80s I was paid for a job just before Christmas with two £50 notes - the first time I had seen such things and worth a lot in those days. I went to pick up a large order at a local bakery and paid using one of the notes then when I got home found to my horror that I didn't have the other one. The only time I had taken the money out of my pocket was in the bakery so I hot footed it back there in what I thought was the vain hope that someone had found it. As I walked through the door the assistant who had served me said, "Are you looking for something that you dropped?" I nodded, "Yes, a fifty pound note, I don't suppose........" She interrupted me, "You're a very lucky man," she said, "Just after you left, a lady found it on the floor and handed it to me." To say that I was relieved would be an understatement. Unfortunately I never did find out who the good fairy was so that I could thank her in person but I still remember her kindness. 

Dave

Can one enquire what was the job? Givern your qualifications it wasn't by any chance providing air support to a convoy of cakes on route to a junior Hippo was it? Or was it something more nefarious such as the destruction of a bus on a bridge. We need to know? You cannot leave us all in suspense. We are on tenterhooks.:P

Edited by Winslow Boy
Speling
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I once found £60 outside the door to my office, three £20 notes screwed up in a ball. I handed the money into our cash office they took a note of where and when I found it and put it in the safe. Six months later they told me that no one had claimed it so the money was mine. Came in handy as I was just about to go on holiday and the extra spending money was useful. It was quite a sum 42 years ago.

That was about 2 weeks' wages for Bear back then...

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Baz I would draw your particular attention to Section 6 of the Act which might well apply in this case (it's the bit most people don't know about).   Access is an interesting one in that I don't think you can prevent access but equally the word used is 'access' not necessarily movement of plant and materials.  

The neighbour should ideally serve a Notice under the provisions of the Act in respect of any access intention on his part.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/523010/Party_Wall_etc__Act_1996_-_Explanatory_Booklet.pdf

Section 6 covers shelves, electric sockets etc.

Part 6 covers "Further Information"

Paragraph(?) 28 covers "Section 6 of the Act".

That'll be why most people don't know about it :laugh:

About 20 years ago Bear's neighbours constructed an extension which required foundations about a foot or so away from Bear's own conservatory foundations (solid end walls all the way up to the roof of a lean-to style structure).  No party wall agreement was in place (Bear never knew about such things then) and Bear was concerned enough to phone Buildings Control for advice.  They said that the digging and then poring of the concrete must all be done on the same day - Bodger Bill the builder told Bear this is what they were doing.  Lying ***t.  It was several days before the concrete went in - Bear should've gone over the fence and filled it in again....

Twenty years later and all is well, so no harm done.  The same thing happened on the other end of the conservatory (with the same builder - boy, does my buddy next door regret using him) but this time the the trench was about a metre away.

I've not read the booklet in detail, but I suspect that whilst access may be required for works on the boundary line, such as an end wall, I'm pretty sure it can't be insisted upon for the rest of the structure.  The booklet also mentions payment of a bond to cover the costs of completion if neighbour fails to complete etc.

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

"Are you looking for something that you dropped?" I nodded, "Yes, a fifty pound note, I don't suppose........" She interrupted me, "You're a very lucky man," she said, "Just after you left, a lady found it on the floor and handed it to me." To say that I was relieved would be an understatement.

Did the fifty cover the laundry bill? :jester:

Bear has walls to paint today.....:(

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

No laughing matter is the threat of snow this weekend.  It is surprisingly common at Easter. 

My old youth club used to do a country walk on Easter Monday, in the good old days when you could get to the start and finish by bus or train. On about half I attended it snowed. Later my Dad did the baptism of our son on the evening of Easter Saturday. Fron the following afternoon I have a picture of Anne fighting against a blizzard on the Lickey Hills. 

This year Easter will be low profile, especially seeing the pictures of eejit parking around our local beauty spots yesterday.  Anne passed over 50 people on a one mile section of path where normally if you see more than four you think it is a busy day. On top of that my arm is a bit sore after the second jab yesterday, so I think a little muddling may be in order after collection the week's rations this morning.

21 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Organisation? Lack thereof? Try our cricket league. 18 clubs and upwards of 80 umpires all collect the seasons paperwork from a single location with linited car parking..not the most thought through of approaches.

I've been involved in tennis leagues with very much the same approach. I was secretary for one which had 44 clubs running over 120 teams. There were nearly 700 matches in the season, all dates being decided by team captains in one room on a single evening. It was a credit to the people involved that it was usually all over in about two hours and when I collated the sheets from all the teams there would only be three or four errors.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

No laughing matter is the threat of snow this weekend.  It is surprisingly common at Easter. 

It can fall at unexpected times, no one expects snow...

At Easter it can be more common, as Easter can fall between 22nd of March and 25th April, so an early Easter is probably a snow magnet!

Here, its (looks out of window) sunny and calm, if not particularly warm, and the Magnolia blossoms at the top of the hill have finally caught up with those at the bottom....

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

As I said no one claimed the money I found. I have my suspicions though it was one of the builders doing work on the building at the time. They were sub contractors and at the time many subbies were on what was known as 'the lump', paid cash in hand without the tax man being involved. I don't know how much £60 in 1979 would be the equivalent today but it was a lot of money back then.

£347.78p

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1