The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Not that you're counting....:laugh:

Bear had a program running on the works pc that displayed how many more days of suffering Bear had to endure before being paroled early for good behaviour cos' they wanted shot of me asap.....:laugh:

Let's see now...will they:

1. Shut the section down/outsource it elsewhere? Probably not, the section is needed as long as the factory is open, and I don't think they're ready to shut it. (Yet)

2. Leave it until a week before someone retires before appointing a replacement for a job that takes a year+ to get familiar with?  (That's Bear's ex-employer's tactic, by the way). No that's way too soon, they wait till the end of the month afterwards to advertise the job internally or externally..

3. Leave it until some time after someone has retired before replacing them, usually with someone who hasn't a clue and the customers are screaming blue murder?  Some time? I thinks, it's nearly 3 years and we still don't have a permanent deputy head of Lab.

Let's see now, the weather from Dec to April is pretty much carp....

Decisions, decisions.... Yep, exactly..

Isn't it amazing just how often the B&Q cutting machines are supposedly "broken"....?

Cynical mode off I don't turn my Mode off..

Bear's employer ran one of the best final salary schemes (Bear was in it :yahoo:) but closed it to new starters some years ago - so a very big carrot to staff retention was lost.  So all the smart young graduates do a couple of years then clear off elsewhere for more money, just when they might start to be useful having learnt the basic ropes.  Or not, in some cases...:banghead:

The UK Military, until 1975 you had to do 22 years to get any pension at all, I joined in 1976 :D. From then they had a very  good pension, in about 2000 they revised it's payments down and it's contributions up.. The last year they did it again, with also changing the payment date from Age 60 to 65.. I was very lucky..

The GEC pension had 3 formats for paying out, one was income related, but I've been gone for over 10 years, so that doesn't come into it anymore. But the main other one, to do with payments in and  accrued profits  (via them investing in stocks and shares) has done very well. Very much helped by 6 years in Saudi 20 + years ago paying in triple the amount of money, I'd have paid in the UK..

So effectively , in under two years I'll be retiring  with 47 years worth of private pension having only got 40 years of paying in. (7 years for 3 other companies no pension scheme).

We won't be rich but we won't be far off our income now..

PS Dad retired at 53, Having started work at 15, so he's been on a pension for 32 years . He's doing well out of his pension !!

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

There were mixed fortunes on the fodder run yesterday.  Although there was no frozen breaded plaice to be had, I did succeed in my quest to be just like Bear and have my very own koala carrier bag.  Thanks again for the heads-up, Bear.  I had to be shown where to find shopping bags.   The place where the koala bags should have been was empty.  The assistant was quite crestfallen until I turned round and found them behind me.  I am more than happy to support WWF in this way, in the hope that all contributions great and small will stave off the extinction of the koala, even if just for a few minutes.  There are learned people who reckon that the koala has thirty years at best.  That is scary.

The other find on the fodder run was something I have not seen for more than half a lifetime – Vesta chow mein!  I used to eat it when I was still a beginner of a cook, living in a bedsit and enduring shared facilities.  I am looking forward to finding out whether it is quite as disgusting as I remember it.  Earlier I did the laundry and let the mower loose on the lawn.  That was all the G word that I felt like doing.  The green bin, while not full, is well laden and will be emptied today, thus destroying the evidence of Tuesday’s toil.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Morning Chris.

Somewhat disturbing news about the Koala. 

Excellent news about the Vesta meal deal as it were. 

Many fond memories of various Vesta beef and chicken dishes from my youth, despite my dear mother being an excellent cook, so I also might have to remind myself. 

Rob. 

• Like 17

On 31/03/2021 at 09:35, New Haven Neil said:

...My back legs are not happy after yesterday's efforts...

Er, exactly how many legs do you actually have? You’re not of Centaur stock by any chance?

15 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

With respect, the 'use by' date is somewhat arbitrary....

In effect, they have become so worshipped as to have knocked good old common sense into a cocked hat! (and caused a lot of food wastage to boot!)...

Hmm, not sure where to start in my reply...

Firstly, I would argue that “best by” and “use by” should not be confused. “Best by” should be taken to mean that the food product is at its best before a certain date, afterwards it would still be edible but not optimal. Celery would be a good example: before the “best by” date - nice and crisp, after - soggy but still good for many things (soups, stews etc.).

Whereas “use by” indicates that after a certain date the product is likely to degrade into inedibility (or worse). 
Certainly, many foodstuffs - especially those sealed into glass containers are perfectly good many years later (although will deteriorate quite quickly once open).

The point about ancient methods of preserving is well made, but it must be remembered that such preserved foods need to be stored correctly and most domestic fridges are either too warm or too cold - depending upon foodstuff - to store preserved food properly (an old-fashioned larder is a boon here) 

One final thought: many foods have a veritable chemistry lab of emulsifiers, stabilisers, thickeners, etc. etc., that help lengthen shelf-life, so a cupboard life of two years post purchase may not be ideal (it is rumoured that one popular American confectionery has a shelf life measured in decades...)

13 hours ago, PupCam said:

There are so many things that make my blood boil now, this sort of "Free Speech" is one of them..... 

I have them no problem in them spouting off - it just makes them look like the pi11ocks they are.

But what angers me is how one-sided it is. If someone says “I self-identify as a tentacled Venusian”, that’s fine by me and I would defend their right to say that. But equally, I should also have the right (and freedom) to say “no you’re not, you’re a bloke in a rubber costume” without fear of being “investigated” for having said “the wrong thing”, or worse - face the very real threat of loosing my job and livelihood.

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear also saw pictures of a park on the TV news that could quite easily have been mistaken for a landfill site...

I’ve encountered this sort of thing in a number of other countries (no names, otherwise I’d get accused of this-ism or that-phobia). According to one -quite credible - theory, it’s down to whether or not a country’s culture has a highly developed sense of communal ownership of public property: countries that do - such as Japan and Switzerland - tend to have well tended, clean and enjoyable public spaces, those that don’t....

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

...something I have not seen for more than half a lifetime – Vesta chow mein!...

Wow, is Vesta still an ongoing concern? (I wonder which conglomerate now owns them).

In the early 60s, when anything beyond a slab of overcooked meat and vegetables boiled to a mush was considered “dangerously foreign” food; and any seasoning beyond salt and pepper was regarded with a fascinated horror (much like Count Dracula spying a clove of garlic), Vesta opened the world of exotic cuisine to the British public at large. While my parents were quite cosmopolitan in tastes - particularly by the UK standards of the early 60s (we ate on a regular basis Italian, German and other European dishes as well as British staples), it was my uncle (himself no stranger to foreign climes and foreign cuisines) who was able to take a packaged Vesta meal and turn it into something more than edible.

It’s amazing how far Britain has evolved, at least in culinary terms, since the 1960s. Dishes that are now taken for granted as part of the British landscape (with or without chips [sic]) would’ve been not only unknown to the tables of Britain in 1964, but wouldn’t even have been conceived of – even in the most bastardised version possible. And nowadays, whilst the best French food is still to be found in France and the best Italian food is still to be found in Italy, for other cuisines from around the world, London is definitely the city that has the greatest and most truly authentic variety of “world cuisines“ in Europe.

So thank you Vesta: from your tiny culinary pebble, a gastronomic landslide has ensued. Britain indeed has much to thank you for!

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

Could I ask advice from other wielders of Vacuum cleaners please?

The domestic Miele had started overheating and cutting out. I will be taking it apart for cleaning and replacement filters before condemning it, I'musing the workshop vac but it's less than convenient.

So which vac for domestic use would people recommend? Cordless or mains?

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Friendly/supportive 13

23 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Could I ask advice from other welders of Vacuum cleaners please?

The domestic Miele had started overheating and cutting out. I will be taking it apart for cleaning and replacement filters before condemning it, I'musing the workshop vac but it's less than convenient.

So which vac for domestic use would people recommend? Cordless or mains?

Vax Mach Air is a good one and they actually replaced a broken attachment, so the guarantee is good too.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2