The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I always thought it was "handcart" (as opposed to horse-drawn cart)...

Pleased to hear you got some cricket yesterday, Tony. The Durham v Yorkshire game was rained off.

Enjoy your holiday, Robert and good luck at the fete Jam.

I'll be listening to the Eng v SL game from Old Trafford, assuming there's play!

Perhaps 'basket case' comes from hand basket ... or not.

Plans already ruined.

I'm now going to a Country Show.

Maybe I'll be lucky and see the collection of spanners again.

There is a modelling section, but not very inspired, consisting mostly of stuff we wouldn't give layout room.

Oh dear ... I've just looked up basket case and it originally referred to quadriple amputees in the First World War.

Shan't be using that expression again.

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear! Trip to Country Show abandoned because the heavens are p**ing all over us.

My neighbours left Essex for a visit to Denbighshire to see the grandchildren. They were requested to attend by their granddaughter as it was her (and her pony) first appearance at a show. I wonder if it was the same event. Perhaps visitors from Essex has the same effect of rain generation as Dave's solar panels.

Tony

Weather's holding up here in East Warwickshire, currently having a circular conversation with my OH about where to go now that Nunney Castle's light engine trip has been diverted via Worcester instead of Leamington.... viz the garden centre / book shop / model shop....!

;)

• RMweb Gold

Well thanks for your messages guys - something worked as the layout ran OK!

It was a lovely little event and I'm certainly glad I went. There were a couple of minor faults and a couple wagons were hell bent on derailing every 20 seconds but apart from that there were no real issues. I've written a very brief report with about 21 photos here:

Fete Fantastic! biggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I felt like last night I was having some after-effects from that migraine which I had on Friday, as in being grumpy and wrung out. However, I believe it's getting better by now. I guess I should try and get as much rest as I can today in any case so as to be in shape for our guests tonight.

Cheers, guys... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Looks bright and sunny at the moment. Didn't bother with last edition of NOTW. (Why change the habit of a lifetime). Means I will miss out on the pull out souvenir bit. However will I manage without it.

I'm off to the exhibition at Hartlepool later. It is usually quite good. Will try and limit my spending to essentials only.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We have been invited to lunch at mother-in-laws today. I mat still get to watch a bit of the F1 though. MiL wants me to show her how to use the internet on her PC. I'll delegate Matthew as he isn't interested in motor racing!

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

I don't think any truly intelligent person will be mourning the demise of NOTW this morning despite their smug self glorification.

Well, what a thunderstorm we had here yesterday afternoon. It started about 12:3O and carried on until about 4PM. It's the longset, most sustained storm I remember in 30 years.

I was forced to hole up in the shed, beavering away on two A3s for my Waverley Route project!

After the storm though the evening transformed into one of bright sunlight and I had an enjoyable, if muddy, three mile run through the woods with Abi as I resume my struggle to regain some semblance of my youthful fitness!

A nice sunny morning with small scattered clouds drifting cheerfully by and a small light aircraft has just passed over giving the not wholly successful impression that it's trying to be a spitfire!

Time to head for the park now, so have a good day folks!

Dave.

Morning All,

I'm somewhat later on parade this morning. Having arrived at Heathrow fairly late yesterday evening. Still, the journey was incredibly smooth - ten minutes early leaving Frankfurt, twenty minutes early arriving at Heathrow. Only Customs delayed things as the queue was right across the arrivals hall. Of course, nowhere near all the desks were open...

Not a lot on the agenda for today - my Mum and Dad's computer needs an upgrade and so I am currently downloading the replacements while I write this post. Should have done it before I left Germany though. The Internet connection is like wading through molasses! It seems to be hovering around 500kbs at the moment.

Grand Prix later!

Have a good day everyone.

Morning guys...

Just slept like I have never slept before and still feel tired. A couple of hours before bed and then 10 hours solid after that. Decided to take a break until I feel 100% as I don't want ER's to become a depressing place with daily medical bulletins. So if I'm no longer around, don't worry, I will return.

Thanks for all your best wishes over the past few months....Keep smiling and stay happy.

All the best. :)

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Managed to break the taboo of York yesterday, as it was the equivalent weekend this year to last year when I fell and injured myself - and touch wood we had a most excellent day there. In order to lay the ghost of that event, we actually did everything as closely to what we did last year - parked in the same car park, got the bus to town, and walked the same route. So that's all buried now. Managed to replace yet another of my long lost railway books from my youth - a copy of Locomotives of British Railways by Casserley and Asher - in quite good condition for three quid. Been looking for years, and finally found it in an antique shop! Oddly enough, I also came across another copy in the Oxfam bookshop about two hours later, but not in such good condition, no dust jacket, and at £6.99!!!

Weather here could go either way - I think we might have had the end of Dave's storm here, as when we got home, all the clocks and things were flashing, and it seems that we had a power outage for about an hour while we were away.

Good to see that many of the ailments are clearing up now. Gordon, I have had similar episodes of long but unrefreshing sleep and somebody suggested that it might be one of my blood pressure tablets - if it continues I'm off to the doc's.

Glad to see Jam had a successful showing of Calshot.

Looks like ERs will be a Don free zone for a few days...

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Decided to take a break until I feel 100% as I don't want ER's to become a depressing place with daily medical bulletins. So if I'm no longer around, don't worry, I will return.

Thanks for all your best wishes over the past few months....Keep smiling and stay happy.

It would be an even more depressing place without your input Gordon!!

I may be misreading the tone of your post Gordon but this doesn't sound too good. It looks like you are not having the best of times. I had just assumed that you were back on track and busy with Eastwood.

Whatever the situation I'm sure I speak for others when I say that we continue to send our best wishes and 'Haste ye back'

• Like 5