The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 hours ago, Simon G said:

I had hoped that today might actually be slightly warmer than  usual and with a bit of sun - not so as yet!  The wind has dropped to just a mild cool breeze, and it is about 10 degrees here.  The sun is forecast to make an appearance, at which point I will hopefully head up the garden to do a little digging.

Before doing any digging, I dont want to miss the postie, as he should be bringing me a Google Chromecast, which I recently purchased online.  My so-called Smart Sony TV does not appear to be very smart at all.  One by one all the apps that came on it have ceased to function, and the TV is unable to update them.  The final straw came when BBC iPlayer didnt work, with a google search showing that it now doesnt work on a whole raft of Sony TVs from around 2014-15.  I used to get Channels 4 and 5 on the TV, but dont now.  The only useful apps on the TV now are Youtube and Netflix and the way things are going, those wont work soon!  Hence the Chromecast, so that I can also use the iPad and mirror the screen onto the TV.  

Why is TV so complicated these days?  Used to be switch on, change channels, sit down and relax.  Now theres gadgets to add on, even on Smart TVs!

Brian

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

have a rumpybumpy cam for it to hand, to teach it a lesson....one of the journalists (insert comment....) in a well known errr mechanical bike magazine also has one of these too and we have been liaising.  We got the cams together and he's beaten me to it, and got good increases in power - but changed the carb too which I can't afford at the moment. 

Sounds interesting!

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The kickstarting leg is in training - it has a lot of advance.

As in the engine?  You want to back some of that off then to spare your leg!

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, PupCam said:

What, this one?

Am I correct in thinking that there's a layout that needs starting finishing somewhere in Bear Towers? :taunt:

336609945_Tripehound2.jpg.4d01fc9ca5979321d17fb52a3fa173a9.jpg

Tripehound 1.jpg

You need to stick that in here = 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Sounds interesting!

As in the engine?  You want to back some of that off then to spare your leg!

That'll take some holding on the control lines......:lol:  NHN revealing youthful alternate hobby there.

As for the advance, yes, spark advance, really it needs a greater range of advance/retard than they come out of the box with, to give easy starting but still top end power where it likes a bit more than standard (its a 4-valve single) - I have modified the advancer as much as I can but it has a temper! One advantage of your choice of velocipede is olde worlde manual advance magnetos.  But they're mighty expensive when they go no sparky, which they do....

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

What gets me angry is when reporters don’t listen to the answers to their  question. Often they ask a question whose answer was included in the answer to the previous question. I suppose they are just reading the questions from a pre-prepared list. lazy journalism and unrespectful .

The two things that bug me, e.g.:

1. Journo asks a question, such as "How much did it cost?"  MP replies "It's not what it costs but the benefits it will bring...."

Beary thought:  ANSWER THE F. QUESTION....

(Journo comes out clean on that score).

2. When journo's word their articles carefully to avoid any legal kickback, yet really screw up someone's life on very shaky info.  A good example is the treatment Cliff Richard received - Bear is of the view that such matters should not be reported until charges have been brought.  Even when no charges are brought there is a culture amongst some that thinks "no smoke without fire".

34 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Am I correct in thinking that there's a layout that needs starting finishing somewhere in Bear Towers? :taunt:

Bitch.

:jester:

In other news:

Bear heard his....very first Ice Cream Van of the year today :yahoo: - but they ain't gettin none o' my brass, nosirree.  Have you seen the price of a double 99 from one of those bandits?  Bear can get a big tub and a pack of Flakes for what they charge.....

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

48 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news:

Bear heard his....very first Ice Cream Van of the year today :yahoo: - but they ain't gettin none o' my brass, nosirree.  Have you seen the price of a double 99 from one of those bandits?  Bear can get a big tub and a pack of Flakes for what they charge.....

Highway Robbery 

at least Dick  Turpin had the decency to wear a mask

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

1 minute ago, Barry O said:

My German knife adverts are now in English with Oz dollar prices

I'll trade you the "ladies" shoes that keep appearing at the top of the page. Platform stilettos that I can't imagine anyone over 22 wearing - excepting of course, by apparent reputation, Geordie females in winter. That and the Finnish "military surplus" equipment which is at least marginally more relevant. I did click on one of those at one point so that's self inflicted.

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

14 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I follow a bunch of young Americans on You Toob ('Cleetus McFarland' - no it's not his real name, just the market he appeals to and therefore pay for his toys - see iD comment about marketing!) who are becoming successful drag racers and race track owners, they have much the same thing going on with US made cars vs 'imports'- doesn't matter where from, just 'imports'.

Except for the  mighty Holden V8 ute!

- he wanted  to buy one when down here  a couple of years ago..

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Noticeable that in Leeds, where the large high schools are the positive test numbers are going up.. we have 3vhigh schools in our area. One has a clump of positive test results.. including our next door neighbours daughter. Like most things though they know better so have had visitors every day since she was sent home last week....

Baz

Now now young O maybe said daughter has been banished to her bedroom - err not. I'm afraid your neighbours are the reason the rest of us have been going through the rollercoaster of this b........... Pandemic.

As the little old lady stopped by the police said - no officer I've never been in an accident but I've seen thousands.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5