The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

.. I too dislike rocket, and many other green leaved  matter. just distasteful space filler...

Incidentally , I, some time ago,  looked up the word rocket , having wondered why Stephenson called a certain unmentionable so..

It derives for the plant, from the Italian / French  for" a type of Cabbage".

For the thing that blasts off it derives from a bobbin or Distaff in italian / German ? old Norse, generally a weaving term.

So what we call a rockets today means basically a cylindrical object..

and some time ago I looked up why we call the "distasteful green stuff" rocket whereas on the other side of the pond it's known as arugala ("yeah arugala"*). Both are derived from the Italian rucola but the two English names derive from different Italian dialects, depending on the dominant region of origin of Italian expats

* pizza advert reference

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8

Well its supposed to be OTTER, but its KOOLER, so that's no good, a short walk to post a letter, (about 200 yds) as the back is better, but I didn't want to aggravate it any more than I need to.

The big ball is trying to show its hand through the clouds, but there seems to be some disagreement between them as to which will win the day.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and well.:good:

And if you think its wind, keep smiling.:laugh:

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has not been as noisy this morning keeping to his usual domain my hips. A couple of Nurofen have seen him off for now. My hips are not deemed bad enough to require replacement so those who's hip replacements have been delayed must be in far greater pain. I see on the news this morning that the ship stuck in the Suez Canal has got moving again. The canal has been widened and deepened over the years but even in the lakes such large vessels have to keep to the marked channels. Muggatee awaits so its be back later.

• Like 19

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has not been as noisy this morning keeping to his usual domain my hips. A couple of Nurofen have seen him off for now. My hips are not deemed bad enough to require replacement so those who's hip replacements have been delayed must be in far greater pain.s

My Dad could barely walk by the time he had his second hip replacement. He spent more than a year on the waiting list but as he could not get an appointment, he bit the bullet and went private. He was lucky he able to cut the wait out; most people cant afford to do that.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Lurker said:

My Dad could barely walk by the time he had his second hip replacement. He spent more than a year on the waiting list but as he could not get an appointment, he bit the bullet and went private. He was lucky he able to cut the wait out; most people cant afford to do that.

Hip replacements have come to a virtual halt due to Covid, even if you were going private. Once this is over there will still be the backlog of operations to clear which could take years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, southern42 said:

‘ morning all from red dragon land.

Yesterday, wind and rain all day and all of the night - the constant rumble sang me to sleep!

Still wet n windy though visibility improved - a little, anyway.

I went off pizzas years ago but when we had our yacht with a stove, we used to make what we called “boaty pizzas” - home bake baguettes cut in half length ways, baked in the oven then laden with cheese and halved cherry tomatoes and popped back in the oven for a few minutes.  When we gave up sailing, we did them at home, though not in the last 12 months. Must try and get some baguettes on our click n collect order.

The ‘M’ word marching on. Carving out a low relief backdrop proving to be most satisfying, at least, at the moment.

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie keeping up.

Take care all and play safe.

————-

Best wishes

Polly

We call our boaty pizzas french bread pizzas, I love 'em with some fresh sliced peppers or chillies from the greenhouse as well as cheese and tomato.

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Hip replacements have come to a virtual halt due to Covid, even if you were going private. Once this is over there will still be the backlog of operations to clear which could take years.

My wife has been told she may get her second hip, but Glasgow is the only place doing the op in Scotland at the moment, that is on the NHS.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well the day started out with beautiful sunshine, but now I’ve finished my breakfast, there are lots of dark clouds appearing, pah.

So instead of getting some gardening done, I’ll make a start on painting another couple of dining chairs, we’ll it keeps me out of mischief doesn’t it, well at least that’s what Sheila thinks anyway :laugh_mini:  

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Blue sky, fluffy  white clouds here now. 
I will be off ina moment to the dentist. It was my routine checkup but I think the dentist is  keen to check up on his work last week. All seems fine but he is welcome to investigate. 
Back soon,

Tony

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Morning all

Still cloudy and "moderate breeze" (i.e. quite windy) in W. London but the sun is starting to break through. I'll have to find a new socially distanced walk now that the local public golf course has re-opened (not that its closure stopped half of them from playing illegally in groups of four or five throughout the current lockdown)

Body clock hasn't quite adjusted to BST yet so ended up going to bed late and getting up late this morning.

On hips, I have a friend who is a "junior"  orthopaedic surgeon and he's still not doing any elective surgery. Says he can't wait to get back to knees and hips but currently doing trauma. He retrained for intensive care during the first wave and spent some time doing that but since then has mostly been doing broken bones- a lot of hand injuries apparently.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2