The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all,

Two amazing sports games today, firstly England beating India in the second one day cricket international with superb innings from Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow.  Then Scotland beating France in the last match of the rugby Six Nations, meaning that Wales win the title.  The Scots really dug deep and showed a lot of character to win tonight.  A very entertaining evenings viewing!

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Never had any scary moments at work but have called the police when people presented forged prescriptions and that can be a bit disconcerting  once they realise they’ve been rumbled.

The mechanic at the village garage (sadly now changed hands - I've not tried it since and by the look of it don't really want to either) told me that when they do an MOT test the computer talks to DVLA in real-time; if the car is reported stolen etc. then the police are alerted immediately.  They had one one day where the Police arrived before they'd even finished testing it.

19 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Then Scotland beating France in the last match of the rugby Six Nations, meaning that Wales win the title.

More importantly it also means that France lose the title :laugh:

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

The mechanic at the village garage (sadly now changed hands - I've not tried it since and by the look of it don't really want to either) told me that when they do an MOT test the computer talks to DVLA in real-time; if the car is reported stolen etc. then the police are alerted immediately.  They had one one day where the Police arrived before they'd even finished testing it.

I cannot imagine a car thief being worried about such matters as keeping the MOT up to date.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 12

4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Unfortunately  some of them are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. One burglar we caught was identigied because his back pocket caught on the window latch as he exited the premises. His wallet gotbleft behind with his driving licence in it.

Jamie

It makes you want to cry, doesn't it?

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

I cannot imagine a car thief being worried about such matters as keeping the MOT up to date.

It could be that the person taking the car in for MoT is not aware that it was stolen, the car could have been cloned.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

I seam to recall a burglar being apprehended one winter after the police followed his footprints in the snow. Don't Know whether that was true or an urban myth.

I don't recall any near death incidences I'm afraid. Whether thats because I've not led an exciting life I'm not sure. Did once get caught up in suspected bomb incident where my boss had his brief case blown up due to forgetting to pick it up. But that's about it I'm afraid.

So it's good night from him and goodnight for me.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

... stealing unattended wallets and a laptop.

Who leaves wallets lying around?  (The laptop I understand.)

The company I worked for had a guy (wearing jeans and a collared shirt*) with a messenger bag, walk in through the open loading dock in the back of their Bay area location around lunchtime. He filled the messenger bag with laptops from people's desks.

The front door of course was locked and only accessible by badge access.

* Pretty much the Bay area uniform.

This was an area where laptop theft from cars was very common. Despite a security patrol, a local shopping centre (with many restaurants) was a place where 'smash and grabs' of backpacks on the back seats of cars happened regularly. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15