The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has had numerous "work-related" close shaves over the years; memorable ones include:

1.  Coming within <3 seconds of getting a face-full of hydraulic oil spray (at 3000 psi.....) from about 36" away.  My mate had been telling me that the kit I was working on (about which I knew f.all about - he supposedly knew all about it) was "ok" and "don't worry" just a few seconds earlier.  Mind you, he was the same guy that told his wife to wear wellies and turn the washing machine on & off with a broom handle when she reported getting little shocks off it....

2.  Setting off - under the instruction of my boss - and whilst he watched -  what he reported to be a pyro "retractor" in the office, by dangling it on it's wires from the wall-mounted dc supply (stores had it, when they shouldn't have - and wanted it made safe and disposed of).  Turns out it was a "protractor", and setting it off in free-air was "interesting".  Bl00dy great bang (woke people I'd never seen awake at work before), bl00dy great flame, and a lump of steel came flying out like a bullet, bouncing off the desk and rattling round the hangar windows.  Could've been very, very unfunny.  Boss was very sheepish, as he realised just how bad it could've been.  Good fun.

Ah yes - "objectives" and "one to ones"....

Strangely enough, today is the first anniversary of Bear's "unofficial" retirement (i.e. sent home on gardening leave  no - mustn't call it that - HR said it was "authorised absence, paid" :laugh:) until the end of April and formal retirement.  Some may accuse Bear of retiring some years earlier though; I couldn't possibly comment, though in later years (as I'm sure Puppers will confirm) there was an unwritten  policy of shafting those with long service in favour of the smart young oiks.  Bear had a reciprocal policy of ensuring "they get what they pay for" after being shafted once too often.  Strangely enough, Bear did get an unexpected rise one year (after a year of Bear being NFI) which only went to highlight the fact that the a certain individual (that'll be "PW" if you knew him Puppers) really didn't have a f.clue who was doing what.

Painting of a small area of wall today (testing mode engaged...) followed by the fitting of two door-bars; these took much longer than normal as they required shimming to bring them up to the correct level.  The worst is done, happily.

Tomorrow brings Bear's first jab at 8am :yahoo:, followed by more kitchen antics.

In other news:

I do hope this guy gets sent to a Military Glasshouse (Colchester?) as I'm sure he will receive the warmest of welcomes from fellow inmates and staff alike:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-56538334

Yes, a career destroyed by being.. stupid!

baz

• Agree 9

16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

When oh when can we consign foot-pound furlongs per fortnight to the dustbin of history? :(

When the US says so, but don't as they say - hold your breath!  It will be a long time as the average individual seems dead set against any change.

Brian

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Wow, blowiehooliness is  really getting going, plus there's a light snow covering on the mountain road:

panic.jpg.6fb9ce4629e39b6d494f4fd6e764a28e.jpg

I hope the wind doesn't knack the daffs, the displays this year are stunning, best I have seen them - there's a lot on roadside verges here, plus quite a few in a corner of our front lawn.  The crocus and snowdrops had  a bumper year too.

• Like 18
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think I have ever been terrified enough to make great leaps but I have managed when waking from dreams to propel myself out of the bed and hit the wall which must be just over 3 ft or nearly a metre away. Most days getting up is an effort.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

I have a secondhand book which came from the library of a US seminary. It also was never issued. Its title is “The Dalmellington Iron Company - Its Engines and Men” by David L. Smith!

I Googled the title, the cheapest copy is £50, the most expensive is over £100!

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis and Si Attica have gone quiet, hopefully for some time now. Had a go at sorting the old magazines this afternoon, when I stopped to take a break I was sure I had more than what I started with. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I can assure you, I paid nothing close to that!

Also, there’s one on Abebooks at the moment, from a UK seller, for 24GBP. And a couple more on UK eBay for 20GBP or less.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Cluckingham Palace.

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just where is that groan button when you really, really need it.

Ours was called "Hendra" :D  

A Cornish place name meaning a farm on its original location or "home farm".  

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, tigerburnie said:

I'm all for going back to pounds shillings and pence, can we have farthing chews back, pints for a shilling and a house for £500(though I don't want to have to live on £8 a week again...............)

I certainly wouldn't want to go back to £sd, decimal suits me fine. Is there any currency anywhere that is not decimal? There are two that could be described as half decimal. Mauritania, where one Ouguiya = five Khoums and Madagascar where one Ariary = five Iriambilanja.

• Informative/Useful 12

11 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Weather been unpredictable here today as well, sunshine, showers and hailstones. One minute quite mild in the sunshine then not so warm.

Morning spent discussing rerouting gas mains at new building which looks like it’s going to be a bigger job than first predicted. Afternoon spend filling the van up with garden waste and taking it to the local recycling centre. Called off at bils to take Sydney for a walk then home for tea and a film. 
Not got any business work done this week but nobody cares so why should I?
Tomorrow, who knows, but I recon another visit the recycling centre.

Never had any scary moments at work but have called the police when people presented forged prescriptions and that can be a bit disconcerting  once they realise they’ve been rumbled.

Oh, just remembered, did get held up by a man with shot gun once. Actually more comical than scary, ‘Anyone make a move and I’ll blow you away!’ I work in a nice neighborhood.

Anyway Goodnight.

Robert

Not Lundwood perchance

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

41 minutes ago, pH said:

I can assure you, I paid nothing close to that!

Also, there’s one on Abebooks at the moment, from a UK seller, for 24GBP. And a couple more on UK eBay for 20GBP or less.

My most valuable book is 'Glass's registration guide 1929-1965'. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1