The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
Just now, polybear said:

I hope they don't hurt the tree....

The one thing I've noticed is that the trees always come off much better in such cases which reminds me of the sad case of a Lightning that crashed and skidded across the end of the airfield and gouged a lump out of a tree on the perimeter.     

Unfortunately through a cruel set of circumstances the pilot who survived after the ejector seat failed to operate prior to the crash was then killed when it finally did operate as the aircraft was arguing with the tree.    The gouge on the trunk is still visible on Streetview but other than that the tree is fit and healthy (or was when I looked).

• Friendly/supportive 16

Evening All,

Nor much to report, more gardening including a couple of GDB moments, small amount of blood involved. (Hope GDB is still ok as we’ve not heard from him for a bit)

Couple of work related phone calls, not ‘heavy’, quite enjoyable but did make for a long day.

Watched England match but don’t like these matches where they are playing butchers, bakers and candlestick makers and it’s just a case of how many goals can be scored. Match commentator said population of San Marino was 33k, well most premiership football grounds hold that many people and some double that amount. 

Another early start as its mils birthday tomorrow but don’t know quite what SWMBOs got planned. (if anything).

Goodnight

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, PupCam said:

which reminds me of the sad case of a Lightning that crashed and skidded across the end of the airfield and gouged a lump out of a tree on the perimeter.  

Sorry, slightly wrong it wasn't the airfield perimeter it was a field and a farm some miles further on from Wattisham  after a failed landing attempt.   There used to be a very good article on line about it but it seems to have disappeared so you'll have to make do with this.

https://twitter.com/exRAF_Al/status/1346547619955408900

But to prove my point, you will notice the tree is still in fine form all these years later.   Not certain you can discern the scar from the current Google imagery.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1655067,1.2143432,3a,90y,328.97h,94.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-f8-vdT5DkC3IptxCTw9-g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by PupCam
Make the link work
  • Friendly/supportive 11

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Miners protesting miners' license fees imposed by the colony of Victoria raised the Eureka flag* (to which they swore allegiance) at the Eureka stockade in 1854.

The Eureka rebellion was a protest against English   colonial authority and the fact that the miners licence fee was seen as a tax but gave them no representation.

It  culminated in the battle at the Eureka Stockade between miners and the colonial forces, mainly police and British Army garrisons based in Victoria, mainly  detachments from the 12th (East Suffolk) Regiment of Foot and 40th (2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot.

The flag raised over the Eureka Stockade later became a symbol of the more radical elements of the trade union movement who saw the values it represented reflected their own battles with government.

More recently it has been adopted by far right groups in a similar way that the US confederate flag has been adopted by right wing groups in the US and for the same reason - its perceived symbolism of  anti-authoritarianism against the government and its perceived restrictions on 'freedom'.

So we have the situation where the extreme left wing, and the extreme right see their values reflected in the same flag...

So why can't we all just get along?

image.png.8ede379f0d618a074f47e9de64738022.png

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The federal parliament in Canberra now flies both Australian and Aboriginal flags at equal heights on adjacent poles but this is a recent development.  The two are seen side by side as equals on an increasing number of public buildings and at formal events.  Until perhaps 15 years ago only the Australian flag would normally have been seen.  

The military base I work at displays three flags at equal height - Australian flag, Aboriginal Flag and the Torres Strait Island flag. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

More recently it has been adopted by far right groups in a similar way that the US confederate flag has been adopted by right wing groups in the US and for the same reason - its perceived symbolism of  anti-authoritarianism against the government and its perceived restrictions on 'freedom'.

An interesting development and new to me. In that context, I'd compare it perhaps more with the Gadsden Flag (Don't tread on me)* than Confederate flags. The Confederate battle flag (which is different to the three successive official flags of the CSA) has a lot of different and problematic overlays.

* There are several others from the revolution including but not limited to - the "Appeal to Heaven" / "Pine Tree" flag, and the "Continental" / New England flag, along with the "Come and take it" flag from the Texas revolution. All could be seen prominently quite recently.

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

2.5 hours sleep, short awake, 2 hours sleep, Long awake, 1.5 hours sleep, so 6 hours in all , not to bad for me.

Ben the Alarm clock Collie was back on Duty this morning. It's noticeable over the last few days he's much more reluctant to get out of bed, and his morning patrol is getting slower... Only about 50% of our Daffs are out yet. Lilies are looking like they will come out shortly, still plenty of primroses out.

Observations on the way in..

Most daffs are now out.

Many Cafes, Pubs, and similar premises are busy redecorating.

The car park by the bridge, that floods across the road, has been resurfaced raising it by about a foot, whether that will stop the flooding or turns the now lower than its surroundings road, into a pond we wait to see.

The Cockwomble was not seen this Morning, But I was a couple of minutes later, as I had to wait for Ben's slow patrol.

Vectored thrust definitely would be cheating on a sailing boat, it is noticeable more motor boats are being fitted with a rudder either side of the prop wake, giving a better vectored thrust.

As for copying another boats rudder, I seriously looked at that , but  scaling down a modern sailing boats rudder, means I would run aground  due to it's depth. or if I scale it down further it would be so small as to be ineffective..

I spent some time tidying up my calculations spreadsheet yesterday , mostly adding information so if I come back to it, It would tell me what I was doing.. I found a couple errors, which were corrected, but made little difference to the result.

I then decided to add in any useful calculation, that might be useful in the future.. First keel bolts.. a new formula was found from an eminent Yacht designers site. 

Could I get a sensible answer? No, I spent hours trying to work it out.. to use the colloquial " it were doin' me  'ed in"

The New formula also uses the displacement from the edge of the keel to the bolt positions in it, I'd under estimated them too, they were measured last night and entered into the formula.

Eventually I decided to try adding the imperial formula along side ... In doing that I spotted the error. The Imperial formula asks for the yield strength of the material in PSI, the metric asks for Newtons per mm^2.

What I had entered was the yield strength of the bolts I had used, the results were many times larger than they should be.. over 30mm per bolt (6 off) just to carry 180KG.

Corrected the Metric formula comes out at 8mm, the imperial at the metric equivalent to 6.5mm

Which is good, I used 10mm Bolts.

Oh how did I estimate it the bolt size in the first place? 1 bolt will support the lead lump on it's own, just, the recommended safety factor is 6..  So 6 bolts.

Anyway Back to spreadsheets, I have to manipulate yesterdays results to produce two correction files.

Time for more typing..

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PupCam said:

The one thing I've noticed is that the trees always come off much better in such cases which reminds me of the sad case of a Lightning that crashed and skidded across the end of the airfield and gouged a lump out of a tree on the perimeter.     

Unfortunately through a cruel set of circumstances the pilot who survived after the ejector seat failed to operate prior to the crash was then killed when it finally did operate as the aircraft was arguing with the tree.    The gouge on the trunk is still visible on Streetview but other than that the tree is fit and healthy (or was when I looked).

Bear worked with an ex-RAF Armourer who was part of a small team who were responsible for going to crash sites to ensure the seat was safe and all pyros removed - often the unfortunate aircrew were still strapped in the seat, which made it a less than pleasant experience.  ISTR such a situation was involved when the Hawker Hunter crashed during the Shoreham Airshow (the pilot survived that one - many on the ground didn't....) - the Paramedics could do very little/nothing until the seat was made safe.

I was doing some work in the mid-90's at the Tornado OEU at Boscombe when one of the seats went off whilst being disarmed in the hangar (I wasn't there that day) - the techie was standing on the seat at the time....

Amazingly he survived, though I think he busted his arm up quite badly - it's quite a fall from a Tornado cockpit to the Hangar floor; luckily the Canopy knocked him off the seat and stopped him progressing thru' the roof and into the M.T. yard, as the seat did.  I did hear that "the Guys" wrote to Martin-Baker, requesting a Tie for him.  They declined....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6