The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

47 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Things have changed substantially since those days and the Australian flag is almost as ubiquitous in Australia as the US flag is here.

Mainly on eskies and thongs.

(which are what the UK calls flip flops not those undies that go up your clacka.)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

I have said before that you shouldn't need a degree in plastics engineering to throw out your garbage.

I'm still incredulous that I read that we should use see-through bags for our garbage so that they can check what we're throwing out.  SWMBO says no way.

The flags on the buildings at Disney World look like American flags but are all different in some way (wrong number of stars or stripes). A regulation flag would have to be lowered at dusk every day; the wonky ones can stay up.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

When I get back to sailing, I raise and lower  the clubs flags. Red ensign up first, down last.

For regatta week up at 08:00 to the sound of the cannon firing. ( Followed by putting the buoys out and ordering the bacon buttys by radio on the way back)

Down at 20:00.

Club flag above visitors flags.

Flags raised to the peak then lowered to half mast, if there is a reason to do so. From half mast raised to the peak then lowered, at the end of the day.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I think that's true for many professions.  From my first day on the job more than 35 years ago I worked in a specialized field where I had no in-depth formal instruction. I did have the necessary problem-solving skills and thought process though.

Bear recalls a radio interview that mentioned a certain young degree-qualified manager in an engineering firm (in Luton?).  It soon became apparent that the manager's knowledge of engineering matters was, er, slim.  When questioned, the manager told them his degree was in.....Art.  Reason?  He said it was the easiest way to get a degree.  Obviously the company Bosses/HR never asked about his degree, or weren't bothered.

7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Anyway, the last of the tanking has been done and there isn’t much of the powder left over, probably about 0.75 - 1kg. It looks rather ridiculous in the bottom of a 25kg drum, so I’ll have to find a smaller container in which to store it. The tanking was finished before dinner, as was the cleaning of the brush and tools.  After dinner, I cleaned off some of the shelves and moped the floor, I definitely won’t get into trouble like I did last week, for leaving dusty footprints everywhere. 

How good does that feel?  Don't tell me - LDC good.....

As for the tanking powder, unless you have another job coming up it may be worthwhile to just use it up by giving what may be a "damper" area a second coat, as the powder may have a use-by date?  Although Bear has been guilty on many occasions of using building materials supposedly well past their date with no apparent ill-effects.

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I have said before that you shouldn't need a degree in plastics engineering to throw out your garbage.

I'm still incredulous that I read that we should use see-through bags for our garbage so that they can check what we're throwing out.  SWMBO says no way.

Unless there are bin inspectors prepared to go right thru' the contents of a wheelie bin then the contraband simply goes at the bottom of the bin; if a bag at the top looks gungy and is ripped then that's even less of an incentive to go rummaging.  Or so I'm told.....:wink_mini:

25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I have a new cockwomble to avoid, driver of a grey brown Sirocco , I saw him for the first time yesterday driving exceedingly rapidly, Today he over took myself at the back , another car then a bus, went the wrong side of a central Island, had then to swerve in rapidly for a car coming the other way, then brake for a parked car.. All while we were on a slight left hand bend.. To top that he then turned off 200 yards later.. We were doing the 30mph limit in effin clown town.

At times like this it pays to send off a copy of any dashcam footage anonymously to the local nick - hopefully the driver will get a visit to "discuss" his driving skills....

In other news:

Today is.....Grouting Day :yahoo: - meaning the floor tiling will be finished.  I have almost three boxes of tiles left over (I specifically wanted a box for spares, should anything untoward happen in the future - the box can be stored under a kitchen cabinet, behind a plinth panel).  The other two are the usual spares that a sensible to buy in case of breakages etc etc during installation, cutting etc. but in this case were never needed).  I'm hoping that the tile shop will accept them back - they have a returns policy - but Bear is now outside the 28 day clause.  Twenty-six quid's worth, so worth doing.

Bear saw this in the news - unbelievable:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56506466

- Bear will be sure to send his first ever tweet (WTF is a "tweet"......??) today, mentioning LDC no less.  I'll be in discussions with Sotheby's in the morning, should anyone be suitably well-heeled.  Grab yourself an investment bargain.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear saw this in the news - unbelievable:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56506466

- Bear will be sure to send his first ever tweet (WTF is a "tweet"......??) today, mentioning LDC no less.  I'll be in discussions with Sotheby's in the morning, should anyone be suitably well-heeled.  Grab yourself an investment bargain.

More money than sense springs to mind

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

On the subject of flags, I once heard an Alistair Cook, Letter from America, in which he reported that the US flag  in many ways took the place of a monarchy in the US.

Jamie

Used to listen regularly to Alistair Cook's 'Letter from America' - extremely informative and spoken in a very pleasant tone.  How long ago that was I cannot remember but it. must go back more than 60 years.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Good morning, for it is still thus!

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

[snip]

I wonder what will go wrong next?  Best wishes to all

Chris

Chris: were you a born pessimist or is it a skill that you have developed over the years?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Heating/hot water was off again this morning so it was a climb into the loft to top up and restart the boiler. I bled the radiators and found a lot of air in the radiator in my bedroom :( . When I came downstairs there was a damp patch on the carpet in the hallway directly beneath the radiator. At least the affected area is accessible, without moving any heavy furniture. I shall keep an eye on it, the damp patch was very small and has since dried up so might have been from when I bled the radiator.

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

I have a new cockwomble to avoid, driver of a grey brown Sirocco , I saw him for the first time yesterday driving exceedingly rapidly, Today he over took myself at the back , another car then a bus, went the wrong side of a central Island, had then to swerve in rapidly for a car coming the other way, then brake for a parked car.. All while we were on a slight left hand bend.. To top that he then turned off 200 yards later.. We were doing the 30mph limit in effin clown town.

12 hours ago, polybear said:

At times like this it pays to send off a copy of any dashcam footage anonymously to the local nick - hopefully the driver will get a visit to "discuss" his driving skills....

Q mentioned a bus in the line of traffic that was overtaken. Many buses nowadays have cameras so there's a good chance that there is a recording. It might be the bus operators policy to pass such recordings on to the police. Just in case I would suggest reporting it to the police mentioning that there was a bus in the queue and time and place and possibly the car driver could find himself in front of the magistrates.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Read this and then saw the article on Argentina 'policemens' families and the effect it had on them.

I read that as well. Getting rid of the junta was the one benefit for the Argentinian people of the Falkland war.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Used to listen regularly to Alistair Cook's 'Letter from America' - extremely informative and spoken in a very pleasant tone.  How long ago that was I cannot remember but it. must go back more than 60 years.

Wikipedia tells me that there were 2869 broadcasts from 24 March 1946 to 20 Feb 2004. A number are available on the BBC Iplayer

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Another glorious start to the day, but alas, no walk will be partaken. The Lawn needed a cut yesterday, and although not huge by any stretch of the imagination, it was enough to upset my lower back again.

I wanted to go for the walk this morning but was advised, naa told not to by my Good Lady, and so I heeded her wise advice.

Still I can sit and look out at the Sunshine and dream of mornings to come.

Stay safe and well one and all.

And now it's spittin, would you Adam and Eve it.:banghead:

SO, I can sit and have my 11's looking at the spittin rainie stuff.:fie:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15