The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I felt a bit of eyelid inspection was required this afternoon, about an hour in my estimation... three hours later.... :lazy: 

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It does look as if Winslow Boy’s get tough policy may have already led to kerbside checks in Rayleigh ,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-56347763

Reading the report it seems that discarded batteries are to blame. They are one of the things you must not put into the normal waste or recycling. One thing that we are allowed to put into the recycling is aerosol cans. They now use propane as a propellant following the ban on CFC's so I wouldn't like to be near one in a fire. Time for din dins, toad-in-the-hole, be back later..

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Growing up, nearly all the good projects needed carbon rods which Dad would extract with a pair of pliers from an old dry cell battery.  Do modern batteries contain carbon rods?  If so then how do you get them out?  Do any projects for children need carbon rods nowadays?

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I felt a bit of eyelid inspection was required this afternoon, about an hour in my estimation... three hours later.... :lazy: 

Reading the report it seems that discarded batteries are to blame. They are one of the things you must not put into the normal waste or recycling. One thing that we are allowed to put into the recycling is aerosol cans. They now use propane as a propellant following the ban on CFC's so I wouldn't like to be near one in a fire. Time for din dins, toad-in-the-hole, be back later..

Batteries are dangerous in household waste. When the blade in the back goes in to pack mode to compact the waste they can become crushed and explode setting the load of waste on fire. Not withstanding the fact if tgey do fo to landfill heavy meatals can leach out of them. Although modern landfill sites are lined with various geotextile linings to prevent leachate escaping the cells of the landfill site

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Trust you are all flying the flag after the official words on the subject.   Over here the flag is much more prevalent than it is/was in the UK and it is bandied around every time patriotism is mentioned, even by the bad guys.  See recent riots! 

Brian.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Trust you are all flying the flag after the official words on the subject.   Over here the flag is much more prevalent than it is/was in the UK and it is bandied around every time patriotism is mentioned, even by the bad guys.  See recent riots! 

Brian.

I wont say too much on here about it but a lot of this centres around the BBC. As far as i am aware o begrudgingly pay my licence weekly but dont pay the full amount if tgey decriminalize non payment i wouldn't pay. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

...snip... I've been keeping an accurate account of what I've been spending on the kitchen refurb (and what on) and I did a sub-total on Monday and scared myself   ...snip...

Substitute trains for the above since I started doing that from 2011 myself (ebay only, not counting shows, private sales) and I really petrified myself! :wacko: They add up!! :o

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear suspects that the cheapo bog standard "Zinc Carbon" batteries probably do, though I'm not sure about alkaline ("Duracell" or similar) batteries.  As for such projects for children though, I suspect that such things are considered far too dangerous nowadays - even if you could manage to tear them away from their ipads....

Thinking about it some more, even the very word carbon has sinister connotations nowadays.

• Agree 10

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

The skill sets that you need to do the job now aren’t the ones I learned at university.

I think that's true for many professions.  From my first day on the job more than 35 years ago I worked in a specialized field where I had no in-depth formal instruction. I did have the necessary problem-solving skills and thought process though.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. BIN day tomorrow so I'll put the bags out last thing before I go to bed. As it will be after midnight it will be quite legitimate as the rule is before 07:30 on the day of collection. Two pink sacks this week, one full of old magazines. 

• Like 16

4 hours ago, brianusa said:

Trust you are all flying the flag after the official words on the subject.   Over here the flag is much more prevalent than it is/was in the UK

I wasn't quite sure what you meant until I saw the blog post by @Coombe Barton and the link there. (I did see the flap over the BBC's annual report.)

I am amused to learn there is a Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

The flag flying guidance is fun.

Where UK Government buildings have more than one flagpole, and two flags are being flown, the Union Flag must always be flown in the superior position which is either:

• the highest flagpole
  • the centre flagpole where there is an odd number of poles of the same height or;
  • the left centre flagpole viewed from the front of the building, where there is an even number of poles of the same height.

It is slightly different from the US flag flying guidance, which stipulates that the position of superiority has no flag to the flag's right.

From the US Flag Code:

(f) When flags of States, cities, or localities, or pennants of societies are flown on the same halyard with the flag of the United States, the latter should always be at the peak. When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the United States flag's right.

It is normal to see three flagpoles at most corporate campuses. When they are the same height, when viewing the building, from left to right, the flags are usually the US flag, state flag, and a corporate flag.

When I first came to the US, it did surprise me to see the national flag displayed (usually on a freestanding pole) in churches. Viewed from the pews, it is normally on the left side of the sanctuary. There will often be a denominational flag on the right side.

The evolution of flying the Australian national flag has changed considerably. After Federation, private citizens were only permitted to fly the Red Ensign since the blue ensign was reserved for governmental use.

As a child I would see the national flag at the post office and by then schools were permitted to fly the blue ensign as well.

Things have changed substantially since those days and the Australian flag is almost as ubiquitous in Australia as the US flag is here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Snip...

For some reason, I can only insert the photos in a very small format!

Snip...

I get this on my iPhone.

so....
If you go into ‘Edit’ and double click on the image, you can change the size.

Hope this helps.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8