The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

the spelling of Woolloongabba

It's always 'gabba anyway. ;) Except in cricket when it's "The Gabba".

Only in Australia can one fully understand why Wagga Wagga is "Wogger" (singularly - never repeated), Wunghnu is "one ewe" (which is smaller than a "one horse town"), Kangaroo Flat is on a hill and Lake Mountain doesn't have a lake.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

51 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Kangaroo Flat is on a hill and Lake Mountain doesn't have a lake.

Then there is "Glendale" (literally valley valley).

There are at least five of them in the western US: AZ, CA, CO, OR, UT.  The one in Colorado is on the high plains in the Denver area.

Google maps found two in Australia, one in QLD and one in the Newcastle area in NSW.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

An innovation that was entirely within the letter of the rules. "Lawful" in fact. ;)  As were the Kiwis later with their catamaran.

Bear recalls a programme about a "good 'ol country boy" in Ohio or some such place that turned out to be an an ace NASCAR builder - in a barn of all places.  He was also very, very good at "interpreting" the rules....

One rule gave a maximum capacity for the fuel tank; no mention was made about the fuel line, however.  So he built a car with a fuel line the size of a large drainpipe...which held several gallons.....

The following year the rulebook would also cover the fuel line spec., so he'd find another loophole and therefore  an advantage.  All good fun,

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

If a radiator is corroding and “gassing” that can lead to lower pressures. Are the radiators new or old? Was the system flushed when the new boiler was fitted? How old is your inhibitor?

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Interesting so when you bled the 'system' where did the air go? Also did it help to return your balance? Only interested in case I have to do it as well.

57 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The radiators upstairs are only seven years old but the downstairs ones must be getting on for thirty years old. There is no evidence of leakage around either of them. However there is sometimes a noise coming from the pipes that sounds like rust or limescale going through. The system was flushed when the new boiler was installed so I assume the inhibitor was added at the same time. I'll keep an eye on it, luckily the two oldest radiators are easily accessible and can be easily replaced if necessary.

Bleeding the rads lets the air out of the system, which is replaced by water.  In a sealed system this means the pressure drops - hence the need to re-pressurise.  If you find you have to keep bleeding or the pressure keeps dropping then this would indicate an issue I think.

Pressure flushing an old system can cause issues in itself - it's a good way of creating leaks apparently.  If the flushing was simply a case of draining then refilling the system - perhaps several times - then this shouldn't cause any issues.  I'd really, really hope that the installer added inhibitor on the last refill, as it protects the whole system from corrosion and is usually a requirement of any warranty on the boiler.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The radiators upstairs are only seven years old but the downstairs ones must be getting on for thirty years old. There is no evidence of leakage around either of them. However there is sometimes a noise coming from the pipes that sounds like rust or limescale going through. The system was flushed when the new boiler was installed so I assume the inhibitor was added at the same time. I'll keep an eye on it, luckily the two oldest radiators are easily accessible and can be easily replaced if necessary.

All of our radiators are 30 years old. When the new boiler was fitted we had a a water softener and a sludge filter fitted. The first time I cleaned the sludge filter it was quite full. Now it has very little. Our boiler is wall mounted in the utility room so is really easy to access. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The boiler fitter drained and refilled the system when he installed the boiler and as bear said its in the warranty that inhibiter is added. 

This is an indignity which we have to suffer shortly.  The combi has been declared life-expired.  Its supply of hot water has been intermittent since late last year and two attempts to repair it have been less than successful.  A new one is ready to be fitted but awaits ourselves and the fitters finding a mutually acceptable date.  We have to arrange it such that Dr. SWMBO remains in her room for covid security, the cat is locked in another room so as not to escape nor interrupt work meetings online, and I have to unearth the radiator which has a large quantity of CDs (my late father's collection) and small awl-attracting objects (my own collection) stored in front of it.  That particular radiator is not in regular use.  

All have to be drained blah blah blah.  It is, apparently, something I can do once shown the method which means I can attend to those in rooms we don't want the gas fitters in.  And we need to prepare with enough water handy for sanitation and muggsatee for short-term outages on the supply.  A bit of a logistical nightmare but it has to be done.  

• Friendly/supportive 19

Evening All,

Just woke up after post evening meal eyelid inspection.

Nothing much to report.

My team lost for the first time in 12 matches but to make matters worse it was to the Dee daas of Sheffield 6. (Hence my early retirement to bed).

Face still hurting and balance still bad.

Did a bit of form filling for work and SWMBO booked us a holiday so not all bad.

Hope everyone’s keeping well but for now Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It didn’t take long to mop the cellar floor, but the water I poured down the drain afterwards was practically mud. So I gave the bucket and mop (used solely for the cellar) a good clean after, so the mop is now nice and clean for the next time. 

I then went to the workshop and eventually found my servo tester, it was in a box with some servo mount kits that I have. I’d already looked in there once, but didn’t look underneath the kits, doh!

After that I continued working on the small hut that will eventually reside close to the turntable, the window was installed and the bars were thinned and the door was modified and dummy hinges were added, this will be fitted tomorrow. 

I knocked off mid afternoon, as I had a fruit loaf to bake and also a vegetable lasagna to make as well. As is the norm, I made a large batch, half was eaten tonight, the rest is now in the freezer ready for when we next fancy lasagna. 

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon as we sat and watched a Meryl Streep film, August: Osage Country, it was very good. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I then went to the workshop and eventually found my servo tester, it was in a box with some servo mount kits that I have. I’d already looked in there once, but didn’t look underneath the kits, doh!

Bear has been there, done that....though not with servo testers (I don't have one as yet);  it's what Momma Bear would refer to as "looking with your elbows again".  If Bear had a quid for every time I'd been guilty of that one.

Din dins today is likely to be somewhat unexciting as no cooker exists at present (it's in the lounge, and flexible gas pipe extensions 15ft long with quick release connections on each end seem to be few and far between, surprisingly),  So cold sossie rolls, a jacket spud and beans appear likely - though buddy next door did mention that a freebie din dins passed over the back fence may be a possibility, but no promises...

Today will see a small bit of wallpapering, followed by the fitting of new door bars between carpet and the new tile floor (which doesn't exist yet).  Bear put his carpet kicker back in the loft yesterday afternoon...:banghead:

52 minutes ago, chrisf said:

.......in that it saves me having to drive to strange places like Stevenage .....

Now that is a real bonus....

In other news:

B'stards:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56468719

...and another step closer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56460329

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56392570

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

@polybear yes looks like some of the bad lads in Wingate have gone too far.. if he is still has mates from the forces could be that the locals get a visitation.. xpeaks volumes for the lack of active  police support.

Today shall be a rest day. My back has developed a different ache as I twisted it again yesterday. Pah!

Zoom can be an interesting piece of software to deal with. The eeediots guide is very large but finding certain items in it can cause a bit of angst.

Tonight we will be having a sausage supper for tea. I may have to help herself to get potatoes, onions and mushrooms ready to go in the slow cooker along with the baked beans, tomato puree and, of course, the sausages.

Have as good a day as you can.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

48 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

@polybear yes looks like some of the bad lads in Wingate have gone too far.. if he is still has mates from the forces could be that the locals get a visitation.. xpeaks volumes for the lack of active  police support.

The lack of appropriate police response I think is now a major issue for the UK. When you can be visited by a policeman because you posted “the wrong sort of thoughts” on Twitter,  yet burglaries go uninvestigated; when you have heavy-handed riot policing of a women-only demonstration, yet thugs at “politically correct“ demonstrations go undisturbed and..... well, there’s too many examples to cite, but this disparity between the sort of policing people need and want and what they get can only end in tears.

Terry Pratchett, who was a very astute and insightful observer of human nature and society, observed - through his character of Commander Sam Vimes - that policing relies on a considerable amount of “slight of hand“ to maintain an aura of police invincibility.  Should  the populace at large realise how thinly spread and overwhelmed the police actually are, in the worst case scenario the police could end up as a thin blue smear on the pavement.

Inappropriate policing“ brings with it the very real risk of the rise of vigilanteeism from the general public, something which could be described at best as “robust policing without legal niceties or safeguards“ or at the worst “unbridled revenge“.

There is a saying that “the fish rots from the head down“ and I think the vast majority of coppers who are trying to do a good job have been severely let down and are continued to be let down by their senior officer leadership and the College of Policing. (It’d be interesting to see what members of the ER Constabulary make of this....)

Tonight we will be having a sausage supper for tea. I may have to help herself to get potatoes, onions and mushrooms ready to go in the slow cooker along with the baked beans, tomato puree and, of course, the sausages.

You had me there until the baked beans. :o

My opposition to the use of the tinned baked bean has been well documented, they are but a pale imitation of “real” baked beans-which are made with fatback bacon, white beans,  molasses, onions and a host of other ingredients and cooked very, very slowly. Once you have tasted the real thing, you will never want to return to  tins. 

British food has a (semi-) justified poor reputation: on the one hand (and definitely in the “bad“ camp) are the packet foods and sauces, the tins of mystery substances with overoptimistic labelling and highly processed factory foods; on the other hand you have superb - fresh - ingredients; local specialties which - when done well with quality ingredients - are up there with the fine cuisines of the world and a baking tradition (cakes and biscuits) which is the equal of any French patisserie.

So, to start the debate, here is my take on a few “good“ and “bad“ British foods:

Good: Welsh lamb, Scottish beef, steamed sweet and savoury puddings, the Melton Mowbray pork pie from a good butcher, the Victoria Sponge...

Bad: tinned beans, tinned spaghetti, chicken “nuggets“, most any pizza-chain pizza....

And on that nutritional note I bid you all a great Sunday!

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2

It started Sunny, but then clouded over as I went out the door for the paper, now, just dull looking. Still it could be an awful lot worse and today will see some more M in the POD, and probably a knap after Luncheon, Roast Beef today I'm told.:good:

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and stay well.

• Like 15