The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s diabolical eye test that Sheila had seems to go well from what the ophthalmologist said during the process. It didn’t take long either, she was in and out within 30 minutes and we were back home for just after 10:15. So I had plenty of time for a second muggertea of the day, before I headed out once again, this time to Costco. The provisions that I went for were obtaining and the cupboards are now groaning. 

After dinner I did a bit more calligraphy practice, the pen I use is a rather chunky and weighty pen, by the German Pen Company LAMY, it’s very nice to hold and writes beautifully and the nibs are very easy to change. I test drove quite a few in the ‘Pen Shop’ at the Trafford Centre when I was looking to buy one. It wasn’t the dearest but it wasn’t cheap either, a shade over £50 about 8 years ago, but this one felt the nicest in my hand and iveOnce I’d done practicing, I produced 2 A4 sheets, each with 11 names done in 4 different styles. They are basically the same script, but the style and spacing of the letters differs slightly, there is also one in cursive (joined up) writing as that’s how they originally wanted it. But I personally think they look better separate, as the are easier to read from a distance. These will be given to Mike when him and Sarah call round next week. 

After a mid afternoon muggertea, I did a spot of eyelid inspection, they both passed!

Below is a photo of some today’s work,

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s diabolical eye test that Sheila had seems to go well from what the ophthalmologist said during the process. It didn’t take long either, she was in and out within 30 minutes and we were back home for just after 10:15. So I had plenty of time for a second muggertea of the day, before I headed out once again, this time to Costco. The provisions that I went for were obtaining and the cupboards are now groaning. 

After dinner I did a bit more calligraphy practice, the pen I use is a rather heavy pen, by the German Pen Company LAMY. I must admit that I’d never heard of this company before, but it’s very nice to hold and writes beautifully, I test drove quite a few in the ‘Pen Shop’ at the Trafford Centre and this one felt the nicest. It’s quite a chunky, weighty pen and the nibs can be changed very easily. It wasn’t the dearest in the shop, but at just a shade over £50 around 8 years ago, it wasn’t the cheapest either. Regardless of the price I paid for it, I’ve never regretted buying it, it’s a lovely pen to hold and use. 

Once I’d done practicing, I produced 2 A4 sheets, each with 11 names done in 4 different styles. They are basically the same script, but the style and spacing of the letters differs slightly, there is also one in cursive (joined up) writing as that’s how they originally wanted it. But I personally think they look better separate, as the are easier to read from a distance. These will be given to Mike when him and Sarah call round next week. 

After a mid afternoon muggertea, I did a spot of eyelid inspection, they both passed!

Below is a photo of some today’s work,

B4E3E776-B35D-4B12-9207-DBA292D3297C.jpeg.ba8c058a4ec5b4cd67cbd7099540714c.jpeg

plus mine and Sheila’s name in Celtic script. 

095DB4A5-BBC1-4E61-B828-009E5E73A0D4.jpeg.43bb7490c44a6b100463c528cf576723.jpeg

Cor!!! an echo inside a post that's a new one..

Cor!!! an echo inside a post that's a new one..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

And so somebody has decided that our Garden and Lawn need watering, oh well, Mr Fair Weather walker will be absent from the Streets of Amp Sher this morning.

Have a good day one and all, it's almost the weekend, and so stay safe and well, one and all.:good:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from what was a sunny rock that has suddenly gone all grey.

IIRC potassium is much more reactive than sodium - or is that only in water?  Racking the remains of my brain thinks that it is kept in oil but not sure if this is to protect from water in the atmosphere? Duh....too long ago.

A day of driving the washing machine and attempting to get soil/compost for the pots ahead, deliveries/collections are still taking place from a local garden centre, but it is hard to find what they actually have.  Phones are busy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

......which will no doubt upset somebody, somewhere. 

Me! Comics are for entertainment and contain more than a small portion of fantasy, depicting life as we think it should be and not necessarily how it is. Magazines, on the other hand . . . . . . . . . . .

Oh!

• Like 2
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a dull start to the day, the temperature outside is currently 7C so it’s quite cool, but I suspect the stiff breeze will make if feel colder than that. 

As its a Friday, that means there will be another fodder run today. First will be my walk to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner. Then I’ll head off to the Trafford Centre for a few more comestibles. After that there are no firm plans, so possibly some reading or maybe a layout planning. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I was taught Copper plate handwriting at my first primary school, as we all were, it was their default hand writing style. Unfortunately my second primary school it was straight up and down writing. and you were punished for not doing it their way.. Hence my hand writing is now carp.

I did it the other way round. At six and a half, I moved from a school where we were still printing to a school where cursive writing was already in use. My handwriting never caught up. Having to take handwritten lecture notes at university just finished it off.

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I only speak English, but I used to be amazed back in the 1970's when I went to International Moto Cross Events and see / hear Riders from France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Czechoslovakia and even sometimes  Russia all talking together in groups and all using English to communicate.

Before covid arrived, I played soccer with a group of guys originally from all five continents (seven if you count South America and Oceania as distinct continents). The common language is English, dialect profanity.

• Like 11
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Talking of Magnesium I think it was the principal component of the old fashioned flash bulbs - remember them?

The flashgun contained a small battery and a Capacitor which caused the magnesium to light. Don't forget the  blue bulbs needed for colour film to balance it to the colour temperature of daylight.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny here this morning and the forecast is mostly dry with a very slight chance of a shower and will remain dry for the next few days. I'm looking for electrical connectors, two pin low voltage plug in type but I couldn't find any stockist after the demise of Maplins. However I Googled what I wanted and found a similar company to Maplins that also has a local branch https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/ I have ordered what I need click and collect and will collect the order this afternoon.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

snorrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Welcome to National Sleep Day. I shall celebrate between lunch and Friday Drinks. 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

We bought a property and was told there was a small pond under some Brambles and undergrowth.

On moving in, and clearing the Brambles I found the so called small pond. It was in fact a Plastic Volvo Commercial Vehicle Parts box in bright blue, sunk into the ground and about 3ft x 2ft and about a ft deep.

Nice bit of recycling then.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Brian, I am curious about your calligraphy. I presume pen rather than brush? Do you use a fountain pen with an Italic nib or a dipped chisel top pen? Do you have a favourite alphabet design that you emulate, or have you your own interpretation?

I have dabbled in calligraphy since I was a teenager. I would not call myself very proficient. As practice, mostly I sign birthday and holiday cards (with all my nephews and nieces, I end up doing multiple per month) in an Italic script using a fountain pen with an Italic nib for convenience.

The ability of greeting card paper to take ink varies wildly. Shiny papers often reject ink and pulpy, heavily recycled paper can wick it away in little tendrils.

I was asked to do a couple of marriage certificates. It felt uncomfortable working without a 'safety net' (there was only one copy of the certificate for each) but I was satisfied with the results. 

do you have a go at the "elvish" characters devised by Tolkien for his Sindarin etc?

• Like 10
  • Agree 1