The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi asked ages ago about getting a printer that would print photos nicely as our previous inkjet had died a few years ago. We have laser colour and mono printers but I never got round to sorting out a replacement. So I was fairly surprised at the general lack of availability when I looked over the weekend. Perhaps I will carry on waiting for a while. 

If you do think of buying an inkjet printer these guys have been very good twice in the past when I have bought a new printer. 

https://www.printerland.co.uk/printers/inkjet

No connection with them but salespeople have given good advice in my experience. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, coastalview said:

If you do think of buying an inkjet printer these guys have been very good twice in the past when I have bought a new printer. 

https://www.printerland.co.uk/printers/inkjet

No connection with them but salespeople have given good advice in my experience. 

Their website came up frequently during my recent searches. They didn’t have the printer I was most interested in but Argos did! I will probably wait until I actually get give a list of photos to print. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I am sure that that made for some really interesting printed schedules. :biggrin_mini:

It used to be a right nuisance between England and France when teh clock changes were on different dates and trains had to be altered twice in as many weeks  to suit marketable arrival or departure times.  We were in effect on Central European Time (CET) for a couple of weeks which was not only a nuisance in workload terms but also meant that if during that time I was at a meeting in Paris or Brussels I got home an hour later than usual.  One of the best things the EU ever did was to synchronise clock change dates across the entire EU.

But with the normal one hour difference a bit of fun could be had as it meant you could - if a train was available - you could easily see in the New Year twice and celebrate both occasions with suitable quantities of alcohol in a local hostelry.  you could also do it via teh Chunnel shuttle but vehicle drivers of course had to stay dry in both France and England

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4

This afternoon, I spent 21 minutes (I was staring at a clock, so I know exactly) moving the clock in the car one hour forward. The process combined two things that have been complained about recently in this topic: over-complicated car electronics and ‘summer’ time.

”Before adjusting the clock, be sure to change the combination meter display (colour LCD) to a screen other than the menu screen entering screen.” Aaaaaargh!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

2 hours ago, pH said:

The process combined two things that have been complained about recently in this topic: over-complicated car electronics and ‘summer’ time.

I got slightly mixed up today because the one clock I forgot to reset* was the one in the car. Resetting the clock is very non-intuitive, but I have owned it long enough to remember how it is done.

* "Spring forward"

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

He'd freak out if he lived in Tweed Heads on the NSW QLD border - in fact the border runs right through the middle of the town.

QLD doesn't do daylight savings because it fades the curtains and cows stop producing milk so  you can stand on one side of Dixon street at say 11.30am then cross the road into QLD and go back an hour.

Or 20 years because its QLD.

What's that odd feeling I'm having? Oh yes, it's déjà vu. ;)

On 14/03/2021 at 17:45, Ozexpatriate said:

I have much experience with the QLD/NSW border time warp where in the summer you literally* go back in time stepping north over the border to Queensland.

* a subject of many jests about it being metaphorical as well.

It's been a long time since Sir Joh was worried about the curtains fading. Despite the craziness at Coolangatta/Tweed Heads*, daylight saving is pretty meaningless in the topics and even the sub-tropics.

* Once upon a time there were quarantine gates off Dixon Street (I think on Bay Street) lest one transport bananas** across state lines. There was a level crossing on Bay Street at the entrance to the (QGR) railway station in Tweed Heads.

** and their attendant fruit flies

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, brianusa said:

DST brought a dusting of snow this morning.  Over the years including DBST years ago, I've got used to it although I'd be quite happy without it.

Apparently it made tug operators in the sound sleepy.

Local news in Portland shared a story of a barge wrecking three decks belonging to sound-side homeowners. Google found the KOMO story.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Greetings one and all

It was a year ago today that I last went to a concert.  Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham were their normal sublime selves at The Stables and it was just a lovely night.  Then the Voice of Doom spoke from Downing Street and the world changed.  Yesterday I responded to an announcement from St Neots Folk Club and reserved a place at a session in a couple of months' time featuring the Hut People.  I like them very much.  Gary Hammond has a collection of over 700 percussion instruments, including a pair of squeaky pigs.  His bandmate Sam Pirt plays piano acccordion and step-dances, though not at the same time.  You're missing a trick there, Sam, for Simon Care of the esteemed band Banter plays the melodeon while dancing.  In fairness, the melodeon is a much more compact instrument than the accordion.  It is such a shame that the audience will be limited to 25 souls, for this is the legacy of that ruddy virus.  That said, it's a start, and a very welcome one.

Thanks to those who advised on DVD players.  I have some e-browsing to do.

Best wishes to all

Chris  

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning. It's sunny and dry here this morning.  However the TV news says that I was over optimistic about the vaccine. France has suspended use of the AZ, Pah and double Pah.  

The supermarket beckons this morning and this afternoon  Beth and I are heading for the Mairie to take advantage of an offer of help to try and get her driving licence application moving again. The B word has brought a halt to what was an already slow process. I got mine quite quickly (18 months) by getting a speeding fine.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

:laugh:

The other thing to bear in mind with printers is the ink cartridge cost - IIRC Lexmark sold one where the catrridges cost more than the printer, so when people needed new cartridges they'd buy a new printer just for the cartridges, with the printer going in the bin.  Mad.

I was under the impression that the ones that came with the printers weren’t fully charged with ink.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning. It's sunny and dry here this morning.  However the TV news says that I was over optimistic about the vaccine. France has suspended use of the AZ, Pah and double Pah.  

The supermarket beckons this morning and this afternoon  Beth and I are heading for the Mairie to take advantage of an offer of help to try and get her driving licence application moving again. The B word has brought a halt to what was an already slow process. I got mine quite quickly (18 months) by getting a speeding fine.

Regards to all.

Jamie

That shipment of AZ vaccine  meant for Australia that France and Italy blocked last week because they needed it more than us?  Maybe they will send it now.

Didn't think so.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10