The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

wonder if DVD players count as non-essential goods?

They do seem to be generally available online for delivery or click and collect. If you haven’t purchased one recently you will need to check if it has compatible connections. A lot of modern DVD players don’t have Scart sockets as used in older TVs. If your tv isn’t ancient it will have the necessary hdmi socket. If it doesn’t then Argos sell a DVD player with a scart connector. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis woke me up this morning but a brace of paracetamol soon sent him on his way. I will need to go to Tess Coes today to stock up, the fridge is looking empty at the moment but first to run a bath.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

I decided watching bathroom carpet dry was tedious so I have pulled it up to allow the floor chipboard to dry. It doesn’t appear to have got wet enough to be damaged. The bathroom carpet underlay is some sort of rubbery foam stuff not the thick hairy stuff used elsewhere in the house. If we ever replace the bathroom I suspect we may not use carpeting. I didn’t in the en suite bathroom. 

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all from Sidcup where the earlier sun has been partly replaced by clouds.

Younger Lurker, who successfully recovered his trainers from lost property on Friday, has been deposited at school again.

The weekend was its usual dull self, enlivened by a family call to wish a cousin happy birthday. He has managed two lockdown birthdays. And mothers day was the usual thing of the Lurker boys doing nothing for their mum....although I did cook the meal that she requested for lunch.

And now it is back to another week of work...have a good day all

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Walrus turned up in Ireland,

I saw that news item. The article suggests the walrus had fallen asleep on an ice floe and had drifted across the Atlantic. 

Edited by Tony_S
Spelling of floe
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

14 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, just.

Joking aside, the foot injury  a couple of years ago was a 'Lisfranc' fracture and not an experience I wish to repeat. So much pain and damage caused so easily.

This morning was spent once again in the same hospital, but for eyes this time as my optician had expressed concern about something, so this was a Consultant poke and prod to see what was going on.  Precursor (no, not LNWR...) to cataracts apparently, probably caused by the period of high blood sugars prior to diagnosis of being diabolical.  Under control now and sort of OK, 6 month reviews for the rest of my natural.  Consultant surprised by my knowledge of diabetes, as he went into lecture mode, so had a good and informative discussion with him.  I left reassured.  But....why do eye drops sting so much? Surely in this day and age they could make something that doesn't!  

Builder/handywitheverythingman friend in doing some work today, he's a real grafter.  Known as 'Tank' - he is, as they say, a big lad. I too am stepping back from DIY's more awkward tasks, Arthur Itis being as unhelpful as he is. Tank is repairing the garden gate/fence and re-setting and pointing the paving pathways as they have become a bit higgeldy-piggeldy over the intervening 18 years since I laid them.

Thats no way to talk about a mate. Yes he might be a bit higgeldy-piggeldy but no need to broadcast the fact.

So long as its not going to trigger an episode of PTS but just how did you injure your foot? Playing footie with a cannon ball? Squashing it into a stilheto three sizes too small? Clogg dancing without cloggs?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Did my "volunteer" blood donation of antibodies checks this morning. Took sages to deposit 600mil of my precious blood into a phial. Then off to post it in a NHS Priority pots box.  

As a bricklayer arrived at 07:15 am today to build the "walls" in next doors mud heap no sleep in for us. He has now realised he needs to keep pumping the water out to allow the mortar to set.. one day he might get a decent pump.. Looks like our garden should be a lot drier due to the dam he has built... (he has finally realised that his garden is higher than ours s o our garden doesn't flood his(!)

@Winslow Boy.. read the back pages of ERs if you want to understand what has gone on in the past...

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@Winslow Boy.. read the back pages of ERs if you want to understand what has gone on in the past...

Baz

You can get arrested for torturing someone

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Barry O said:

He has now realised he needs to keep pumping the water out to allow the mortar to set.. one day he might get a decent pump.. Looks like our garden should be a lot drier due to the dam he has built...

Bear sees scope for a 4mm/ft bouncing bomb.....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well it has rained in Sidcup,

I have now been invited to book for the jab. I have done so, for the 20th of March. So they are down to the next bracket below the 56-59 one that they were talking about on the news the other day.

I used to live next door to a bloke called Tank when I lived Northampton. His wife was also large. She explained that when they first went out, she was slim. They went for a meal but when she went to leave some food on her plate, Tank told her off and said "If you're gonna be my girl, you're gonna have to learn to eat properly".

And the rest is history!

• Like 18

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

@Winslow Boy Unbelievably simple - slid down a muddy bank in Groudle Glen, going to do a job on the boiler of one of the locomotives.  Foot lodged against a tree root, I couldn't stop as I twisted and turned.....broke the foot in half basically, despite having heavy duty footwear on.  It was a possible partial amputation I was warned, before surgery, but thankfully went back together reasonably well, but has left me with a lot of residual pain issues.

The really annoying thing was John (the owner, my bestie) and I were taking the loco (the Steamplex) to the Ffestiniog Railway a few weeks later for the Quirks and Curiosities gala, which of course I missed.  Pah!  It would have been great fun, and poor John really struggled on his own. Then he broke it too, which wouldn't have happened if I had been there. C'est la vie.

NHN piloting it on another visit elsewhere. (taking a risk posting....)

131309234_756525144936746_5581338145099216139_n.jpg.1757b1e046c1aad54a89fe458ea001e3.jpg

Many thanks NHN for your erudite explaination. It just shows how even the most simplest 'bangs' can have the most frightening of  consequences. Many thanks to other ER's for allowing this indulgence and i promise in future not to cause irritation at such a blatant infringement of ER etiquette. 

Edited by Winslow Boy
Insufficiently grovelling.apolegy.
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The day has moved on. The new wallpaper was painted and now it's dried you can hardly see the join. My name is now on the pharmacists waiting list for the AZ vaccine. Even better the ironing  has been done. Brownie points earned. As Beth was out this was done in the sitting room with the stereo on. Aural anaesthetic  was 2 vinyl albums, the Stones, Through the Past Darkly and Help by the Beatles.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, petethemole said:

Have you figured out why you keep hurting the same place? You might be doing something wrong.

For clarification, this referred to the preceding post by Tesudofan, which initially was repeated about 5 times, rather than to NHN's injured foot or anybody else's injury.

Yesterday was a bit hectic, mainly with mundane household tasks which came in bunches.  Then my wireless mouse proceeded to die, a long, drawn-out and infuriating process.   I was Ebaying stuff and had to give up.  Fortunately  Martyn had a spare USB mouse that I got him as a spare, So I scrounged that back.  It lights up!  Also, yesterday evening RMweb was running very slowly, and is now doing so again.

Time to get ready and go out

Stay elfy,

Pete

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15